GA-M57SLI-S4 Powers on then dies

dhamonhyatt

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Well I decided to recently build a new computer. I got all the parts in today and after putting everything together I noticed that when powered on, nothing happened. After messing with the connectors some, I found when I partially plug in the 20 pin connector, the fans and lights will turn on for a second. If I plug the 20 pin all the way in, the machine wont boot. I have checked just about everything connection wise, but maybe Ive got something crossed. Any one have any ideas?

dhamonhyatt

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
Foxconn FV-N88SMBD2-ONOC GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready-ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply
Transcend 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model JM800QLU-2G

Thats the main specs on the system. I was wondering also, I plugged the psu up by itself should the psu fan turn on or if I just hooked a case fan up, should it turn on? At first I thought maybe I have something connected wrong, but I took everything out of the case last night and when I used just the video card, ram, and MB, nothing would work still.
I know I sound like a total noob and I am, but I also noticed the 20 pin connector of the 20+4 that should connect to the mother board is missing a pin (theres no wire going into that connector). I wasnt sure if its supposed to look that way or not. The manual is no help.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Rosewill PSU's are not rated very well amongs most of the people here. Could you swap your PSU with another one and see if your system works fine. I am suspecting the PSU is the culprit.

dhamonhyatt

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Well I hooked the rosewill up to my dell and it powered on just fine. Could the video card or the ram case this problem, or is it just the MB?

praeses

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
It could be something simple as a stuck reset switch. If the reset switch is stuck on, often the case when they're not worn in, it will not power on. The power switches are typically less likely to be faulty on a new system but you can test that too. Often though, a connector can be plugged in a bit funny or a short can be somewhere.

If in doubt, save the time and plug only 1 thing in at a time and watch for clear signs such as the power supply fan spinning. You know the psu works, so just plug in the motherboard w/o any cards/ram/drives. Probably best to leave your cpu in as they are a bit fragile afterall.

dhamonhyatt

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
I took the video card and the ram off the motherboard and tried hooking the psu up to that. It didnt work, so I guess its the motherboard. Nothing looks wring with it, I think there maybe something wrong with the main 20 pin connection on the motherboard.