Crysis - the most overhyped game ever?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
So when I built my PC last summer, people were going on about how it needs to be Crysis ready (I wish I had some of those posts still around). With a week into the launch, where is all the news? It seems like Crysis is silently being swept under the carpet. This must have been the longest buildup to any game I know, and yet this week, it's been dead quiet.

Your thoughts? WTF happened?

Disclaimer: I haven't bought the game yet because I'm going to wait until I have better hardware. :bounce:

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
It's a good game with decently fun gameplay. No game of the year imo (That goes to COD4 - Both Single & Multiplay), but still 7-8/10. Multiplayer and graphics optimization still needs some work though. People are also retarded complaining about poor performance on 7x, and below, series card when they knew what the required specs were well before release (even if they didn't officially release them). You don't go to a race track with a Ford Taurus and expect to beat a tuned super-car and then complain to your car manufacturer that you lost, do you? No, and for obvious reasons.

Moving right along...
I think the most over-hyped piece of junk game was Hellgate: London. People were going on-and-on about how it would be the next D2 (topped the preorder chart at gamestop for a while) and they basically released the beta with 2 more acts in it. LAME!!!! It still had all the bugs & memory leaks from beta as well. My $0.02.

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I think it is a little overhyped, but not much. The visuals live up to their expectations, and thats only playing the game at medium settings at 1024x768. Cant wait unitll OCUK finally sent me an 8800GT replacement.

The gameplay is not perfrect but its definatly fun and quite realistic. It seems the sandbox nature of the games is also one of the bad things about it too, as the situations can be random and fustrating. A.I is good in general, but they need to respond to your presence more quickly at close quarters. They spot you just as easily at 200m as they do at 2m.

Anyway I thought it rocked, 66.6% due to the graphics, 33.3% for the gameplay. Theres also something very Halo about it to, and also Far Cry and COD.

I think it is a good game. As stated, it is not Game of the Year or anything. They might get best looking game of the year or something along the lines of the Graphics of the game. Game play is very important though.

I like the single player play more then FarCry. Everyone complains about the enemy AI and it is bad but I'm playing on easy. I am assuming the other 3 levels get more intelligent.

It is a graphics hog though. My x1900xtx at 1680x1050 can only play it on medium at 30fps. It still looks good. But then I remember Farcry with the latest patch with HDR on runs at 60FPS and looks very nice. So I am assuming that in a year or so when more powerful Graphics cards are out it will look incredible. THAT IS of course if it lasts that long on my shelf. We still play farcry at our lans for a few reasons. It runs on anything and its a really fun multiplayer game.

I played the multiplayer ni Crysis and found it to be ok but not as good as farcry. The Kill Everything That Moves games are fine. The guns are cool. But hitting "F" to pick up a gun is a pain when you are running for your life. I wish you could just run over a gun to pick up.

I like the new Power Struggle multiplayer games, but have a few tiffs about it. You have a vast array of items to purchase which is cool. But to hit "P" and figure out what to purchase and evrerything takes to much time when there are people running everywhere. I found myself dead a few times before I was even able to pick what I want.

If you took the best of Farcry and the best of Crysis you would have the best FPS game EVER.

LiuKang

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Most over-hyped was Halo 2 IMO...

I enjoy Crysis... it combines a lot of things I liked about other titles. It's like Far Cry (overall fps/gameplay) meets Splinter Cell (you can go in guns blazing or sneak around) meets GTA (interactive environments).

I think some of the "over-hyped" talk stems from other great titles being released... BioShock and COD4 are probably the best, and most original, FPSs ever, so it's taking some of the attention away from Crysis.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I don't think it was overhyped at all, I bought it the morning it came out and I would give it a 8/10. As others have said it's not the game of the year but it's close. There are a couple of issues with it but they are minor and for those who have 2 year old hardware and complain about not being able to play on high their idiots. I would rather have the software industry pushing hardware manufacturers and I think Crytek did a great job scaling the game for all different performance levels.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Wait wait, over-hyped? I asked most ppl at school and they never even heard of it!

The reason you may think its over-hyped, is because you read into it too much, ALL games are usually over-hyped if you want them to be awesome.

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Amen on Hafe-life 2 being over-hyped and overrated. Its not a bad game, but its not one of the best games ever. I just found it really boring, with the whole game basically one big scripted sequence. Yeah the graphics and physics are nice, and the controls work well, but its so dull.

People who say Crysis is poorly optimised are mad. What with the draw distance, the water, the complex shader effects, the amount of detail in the jungles and grass, the textures, the character models, I sometimes cant believe my 7600GT can actually output such detail (abeit at 15-20 fps in most places).

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I loved it, all the way to the end at the classic rpg style boss fight. Multiplayer is good, but not great, i'm going to wait for less noobs as opposed to new hardware lol. (too easy, part of the same reason I stopped playing bf2142 after 2 months other than it being boring.)

my GOTY is bioshock, never been a CoD fan (tried them all, but it doesn't feel much different from playing MoH or Day of Defeat).

Most overhyped has got to be Hellgate, as regeist said, I gotta say, I only tried the demo, but it was just boring, no way in hell like diablo, guild wars is way better imho (some of the big cheeses from blizzard made arenanet a few years back).

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Seems like a disappointing year for games. And when I say disappointing - meaning they are good to ok, but they didnt live up to expectations. I havent tried COD4. I thought COD3 was awesome but lost steam in the end (became repetitive), and was too short!

I really need something stimulating to take me away from WoW, so please developers, bring it on! I welcome Spore, or anything else that requires intelligence to play.

Anyone got any suggestions for game for a Christmas present - from me to me? I really want to get something good to get me through the first 2 months of winter.

Sorry Crysis it didnt work out. People are raving about Assasin's Creed, but I dont wanna go back to a console. I love my PC but Im starting to hate the cost of upkeep, and lack of good games. Every few years or so there is a ground breaker (brand new genre), but I'm getting impatient waiting for it!!!!

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I havent tried COD4. I thought COD3 was awesome but lost steam in the end (became repetitive), and was too short!

COD4. Game.Of.The.Year. If you find it repetitive, I don't see how you play WoW (World of Grindcraft - Get that faction up!) I'm going to pick up Bioshock soon, I hear that game is awesome as well, may want to try it out. Orange Box is also ok, but I beat the entire Ep.2 + Portal in a little less than 2 nights of gaming... so it may be too short for some people. (Portal is top-notch unique though, and the ending is just icing on the cake. :D

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I'm beginning to think that Crysis is a complete bomb out. Obviously too early to tell for sure, but I started researching it, and check out this post:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26054093&tag=recent_topics;title;0#

Im sure if you do a keyword search on THG for the word "Crysis", for the last 12 months, it will come up as being the most mentioned, more than "AMD sucks". Most overhyped game ever? - getting close guys.

Ironnads

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
in Toms (Crysis SLI )review -

"Two SLI-enabled Nividia GeForce 8800 GTX @ 769 MB (total available graphics memory 1535 MB)"

I was under the impression that sli configurations used just memory from one of the cards (or is this CF??) - where's the truth??

Ryan Adds

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
fish, might as well stick with god of prince of heavenly creed.

edit, just checked that gamespot link, must be the same guy, because i am seeing it on all kinds of sites...

anyway, theres a big ass bug, you need to use this program (installed with the game) that you need to re enter the cd key code (i had this issue), a simple google search which is beyong most of the population is needed.

I bet there is more people playing solitaire at the office than there ever will be cod players, and your point is? CoD has almost as much WoW zombies?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Let down by a poorly told story and gameplay which isn’t as fantastic as the graphics and hype would have you to believe, Crysis is a classic example of something which has a lot of trouser but not enough...um, nevermind. Because of that it just gets pipped at the post and misses the final hurdle.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/11/16/crysis/1

Crysis is the name of the game and, for this game, that’s pretty much all that’s needed for the introduction. The name alone communicates all the various levels of hype, scepticism, awe and pant-fillingly beautiful gameplay and graphics to anybody with even half an interest in computer games.

Note: he gave it a favorable review, but said it was completely overhyped. Not even a game of the year contender.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Well, Crysis did something extremely brave and ran with it. They are pretty much forcing hardware & game developers to push the envelope. Move into the true next gen of gaming graphics. Instead of baby steps though, Crysis took a friggen leap. I salute them for making this move because now the bar has been raised and everyone must rise to meet it as well. I think we'll see quiet a few changes over the next few months.