Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Not responding

Last response: in Windows XP
April 11, 2010 10:20:11 AM

My computer is so slow it keeps freezing...it is always saying it is not responding so I have to push ctrl, alt & delete and then end program...it is driving me to drink it is so slow. What can I do to improve it.

More about : responding

Best solution

April 11, 2010 2:12:24 PM

Hi Joann. I just posted to your other thread, but I'll copy the same reply here as well:

Restart your computer in 'Safe Mode with Networking Support'.
(To do this: Power on your computer and start tapping the F8 key at the top of your keyboard rapidly until the Windows Start Menu appears. Then select the Safe Mode with Networking Support menu option and press the Enter key)

Open your web browser and go to www.malwarebytes.org

Download their free malwarebytes program from their main page

Install the program on your computer and run it.

Update the Malwarebytes program and do a full scan.
(You may be asked to restart. Do so, but use F8 key to return to Safe Mode)

Let us know the results of the scan and whether or not any symptoms persist and we will troubleshoot deeper.

Cheers!
April 11, 2010 2:14:54 PM

There might be several solutions for your problem:

1) Memory fault - Check your memory sticks / slots with "MEMTEST".
You may a download links for Memtest in this link:
http://www.memtest86.com/

- A troubleshooting you'll find here:
http://www.memtest86.com/tech.html#trouble

2) Scan your computer for nasty software: Malware / Viruses / Hijackers
- Free Anti-Virus: Avira - http://www.free-av.com/
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
- HijackThis - http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

3) Monitor the CPU / Video-Card / Mother-Board / HD temperature.
If one of them get too hot - that's not good and can cause a lot of problems.
- You may use SiSoftware Sandra to monitor these parts - http://www.sisoftware.net/

* Start with scaning your PC for nasty programs. If you got clean results - check the temperature thing.
If temp' is fine - Scan your memory.
Score
Related resources
April 11, 2010 5:42:59 PM

digitalprospecter said:
Hi Joann. I just posted to your other thread, but I'll copy the same reply here as well:

Ah but - you didn't post into her third thread - a little further down the list,. :D 

Score
April 11, 2010 5:49:29 PM

<grin> Nope. I missed that one! I'll just have to hope she checks all three.
Score
April 21, 2010 10:00:28 AM

Matan Eldan said:
There might be several solutions for your problem:

1) Memory fault - Check your memory sticks / slots with "MEMTEST".
You may a download links for Memtest in this link:
http://www.memtest86.com/

- A troubleshooting you'll find here:
http://www.memtest86.com/tech.html#trouble

2) Scan your computer for nasty software: Malware / Viruses / Hijackers
- Free Anti-Virus: Avira - http://www.free-av.com/
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
- HijackThis - http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

3) Monitor the CPU / Video-Card / Mother-Board / HD temperature.
If one of them get too hot - that's not good and can cause a lot of problems.
- You may use SiSoftware Sandra to monitor these parts - http://www.sisoftware.net/

* Start with scaning your PC for nasty programs. If you got clean results - check the temperature thing.
If temp' is fine - Scan your memory.

I had my computor looked at by a tec it cost me 254.00 dollars and it is still not responding. How do I monitor the cpu/ video card/ mother board / hd temp. They put extra ram in it so it made it 1 gb and it still running slow. I have done all the scans and nothing shows up on them.
Score
April 21, 2010 4:41:05 PM

Wow, you got ripped off.

Go to the command prompt, and run sfc /scannow. If that doesn't find any errors, the quickest/easiest fix may be to try a windows repair.

Some good temp monitoring software are speedfan, realtemp, and coretemp.
Score
April 21, 2010 6:48:19 PM

Joann Clark said:
I had my computor looked at by a tec it cost me 254.00 dollars and it is still not responding. How do I monitor the cpu/ video card/ mother board / hd temp. They put extra ram in it so it made it 1 gb and it still running slow. I have done all the scans and nothing shows up on them.

How much RAM or memory do you have in there, Joann, also how big is the hard disk and how much free space remains?

Score
April 22, 2010 7:31:00 AM

Saga Lout said:

How much RAM or memory do you have in there, Joann, also how big is the hard disk and how much free space remains?

I have 1g and the pie chart is showing only half of that is full
Score
April 22, 2010 7:34:01 AM

893223,7,356916 said:
Wow, you got ripped off.

Go to the command prompt, and run sfc /scannow. If that doesn't find any errors, the quickest/easiest fix may be to try a windows repair.

Some good temp monitoring software are speedfan, realtemp, and coretemp.[/quotemsg

how do I get to command prompt and what is sfc/scannow. I don't know much about computers so where do I find windows repair
Score
April 22, 2010 10:22:56 AM

Joann Clark said:
893223,7,356916 said:
Wow, you got ripped off.

Some good temp monitoring software are speedfan, realtemp, and coretemp.[/quotemsg

how do I get to command prompt and what is sfc/scannow. I don't know much about computers so where do I find windows repair
said:

Answering your reply to my post and to the quoted one. Firstly, it seems you have 1Gb of RAM and half teh hard disk is full but how large is the disk?

Secondly, you find the Command Prompt by clicking Start then Run and typing cmd into the box, then you hit the Enter key. If you type the command sfc /scannow, you need to have your XP CD handy because the System File Checker might need to pull some original files off it to replace some duds in your system.

You also need an XP CD to get to Windows repair but you're a long way off that stage yet. First, we need to work out what you have to repair.

Score
April 22, 2010 10:32:43 AM

Saga Lout said:

Answering your reply to my post and to the quoted one. Firstly, it seems you have 1Gb of RAM and half teh hard disk is full but how large is the disk?

Secondly, you find the Command Prompt by clicking Start then Run and typing cmd into the box, then you hit the Enter key. If you type the command sfc /scannow, you need to have your XP CD handy because the System File Checker might need to pull some original files off it to replace some duds in your system.

You also need an XP CD to get to Windows repair but you're a long way off that stage yet. First, we need to work out what you have to repair.

I really am sorry but I don't know how to find out how big the disk is. I don't have the xp disk as my computer come with it installed and the disk never come with it. I hope I am not keeping you from something else that needs to be done but I don't know much about computers.
Score
April 22, 2010 11:47:19 AM

Even if you don't have the windows CD, go ahead and run the sfc scan. That can at least confirm, or rule out a possible cause.

To find out how big your hard drive is, go to start-->my computer-->right click on your hard drive-->properties-->look for the 'capacity'
Score
April 29, 2010 5:16:34 AM

aford10 said:
Even if you don't have the windows CD, go ahead and run the sfc scan. That can at least confirm, or rule out a possible cause.

To find out how big your hard drive is, go to start-->my computer-->right click on your hard drive-->properties-->look for the 'capacity'

I have 71.8 gb does that sound right. IT only freezes when I am on Face Book and my chat line is open and it also goes very slow when I am trying to chat to someone.
Score
April 29, 2010 7:17:21 AM

Joann Clark said:
I have 71.8 gb does that sound right. IT only freezes when I am on Face Book and my chat line is open and it also goes very slow when I am trying to chat to someone.

[#0005ff]Now that expands the list of possibilities to include the Internet connection or even problems with your sound devices - perhaps a microphone. How is your surfing generally when you aren't using your chatline? As an example, when you come to Tom's, how long does it take to get here to your thread[/#000ff]

Score
April 29, 2010 8:55:03 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]Now that expands the list of possibilities to include the Internet connection or even problems with your sound devices - perhaps a microphone. How is your surfing generally when you aren't using your chatline? As an example, when you come to Tom's, how long does it take to get here to your thread[/#000ff]

When not using chat line it is great now..............could it be something to do with the connection of my speakers at the back of the tower.
Score
April 29, 2010 1:37:41 PM

Joann Clark said:
When not using chat line it is great now..............could it be something to do with the connection of my speakers at the back of the tower.

Definitely sound related then and my first suspect would be the microphone. Speakers probably wouldn't work if not plugged in appropriately - turqoise lead to the turqoise plug, pink to pink and so on. If you have HD Audio and see one of those little pop ups when plugging speakers in, then you might get a clue if everything isn't normal. Similarly, resetting the speaker type in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>General tab Advanced button might do some good. If they're set to Desktop Stereo but you have a 5.1 system, it could cause a problem but not a general slowing of the system.
Score
April 30, 2010 6:15:31 AM

Saga Lout said:

Definitely sound related then and my first suspect would be the microphone. Speakers probably wouldn't work if not plugged in appropriately - turqoise lead to the turqoise plug, pink to pink and so on. If you have HD Audio and see one of those little pop ups when plugging speakers in, then you might get a clue if everything isn't normal. Similarly, resetting the speaker type in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>General tab Advanced button might do some good. If they're set to Desktop Stereo but you have a 5.1 system, it could cause a problem but not a general slowing of the system.

Went into the sound bit and it is set at desk top which I have.
Score
May 8, 2010 11:41:42 AM

I have run all the scans ....avg.....malware....and registry boost and nothing shows up......I still can't use chat on face book it keeps freezing.
Can anyone help me :cry: 
Score
May 8, 2010 1:28:56 PM

Are any errors being logged in the event viewer?
Score
May 8, 2010 1:35:31 PM

aford10 said:
Are any errors being logged in the event viewer?

I always get 1 in registry and that is all.....never in the other
Score
May 8, 2010 1:43:18 PM

You mean a registry scan?

What about the event viewer? That is where your PC logs most errors. If something crashed, causing the PC to freeze, it may be logged in there. It would most likely be under the system or application sections.
Score
May 8, 2010 1:44:50 PM

aford10 said:
You mean a registry scan?

What about the event viewer? That is where your PC logs most errors. If something crashed, causing the PC to freeze, it may be logged in there. It would most likely be under the system or application sections.

Can you tell me how I get there to see
Score
May 8, 2010 7:42:23 PM

To access the event viewer:
start-->control panel-->administrative tools-->event viewer
Score
May 9, 2010 12:41:50 AM

I have got a lot of records in event viewer, applications and system but I don't know what they all mean. Can I delete them. What sort of thing am I looking for
Score
May 9, 2010 3:27:31 AM

Look for the red X's. Those are individual error messages. Each one will have a time that it was logged. You want to see if there are any at the time you're freezing up. If there are any, we'll have a better idea of where to start.
Score
May 9, 2010 7:43:58 AM

in applications there is a few and this is what is beside them msiinstaller and live updates
in systems there is some with service control manager, sr ,dhcp windows update, windows update agent and dcom
Score
May 9, 2010 11:28:22 PM

With those sorts of errors, I would suggest going to your PC manufacturer's website, and download all their newest drivers.

If that doesn't help, a BIOS update may also be needed.
Score
May 10, 2010 6:46:16 AM

aford10 said:
With those sorts of errors, I would suggest going to your PC manufacturer's website, and download all their newest drivers.

If that doesn't help, a BIOS update may also be needed.

what is a BIOS update. My computer is an acer is that what you mean, what sort of things do I have to download.
Score
May 10, 2010 8:39:03 AM

I went into Acer and downloaded a program called driver fetch...it did a scan and told me I needed 59 updates and one of them is sound, video and game controller, I remember you said it could be sound related. Do you think I sould download all the things they suggest.
Score
May 10, 2010 11:55:27 AM

I never recommend using those auto installers. It's pretty simple to download them manually. Here is Acer's download section. All you have to do, is put in your location, PC model number, and operating system. It will bring up the available downloads.

The download will likely be in a .zip file. You can right click and extract all the files inside to the location of your choice. Then double click on the setup file.

A BIOS update is a bit more complicated, so try the drivers first, and hopefully that will take care of the errors.
Score
May 10, 2010 12:03:48 PM

What is my location Will the pc model be on the back ....and what is operrating system.....sorry to keep this going but I'm a bit thick when it comes to computers

thank you
Score
May 10, 2010 12:07:20 PM

Sorry, I forgot the link...
http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/download.htm

Your location is the country/area you live in. The model is the type of Acer you have (should be on the PC). Operating system is the version of windows (likely XP 32 bit, since you're in the XP forum section).

Is your Acer a laptop or desktop?
Score
May 10, 2010 12:13:37 PM

My pc is a desk top and I am in Bunbury West Aust and I'm in windows xp
Score
May 10, 2010 12:41:17 PM

Will you please tell me step by step what to do as I have no idea what to do and I don't want to take it to another tec and be charged $250.00
Score
May 10, 2010 1:40:21 PM

Ok, here's the link to the Austrailia download section.
http://www.acer.com.au/acer/service.do;jsessionid=034C02CBAE7EAC38535BF2B9B80A1BE0.public_a_us003?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&miu10einu24.current.attN2B2F2EEF=3112&sp=page15e&ctx2.c2att1=92&miu10ekcond13.attN2B2F2EEF=3112&CountryISOCtxParam=AU&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=3559666452
You'll need to choose your desktop model (acerpower, aspire, easy store, extensa, or veriton). Then make sure there is a check mark next to only XP. Your drivers will then be displayed below.
Score
May 11, 2010 7:50:06 AM

I went into that site and I downloaded paretoLogic is that the one I should buy. If I but this will it update all my drivers. That was the one with the number that is at the end of the address you gave me. Did I di it right.

Thanks for your help
Score
May 11, 2010 2:30:07 PM

You don't need to buy any of those programs.

Click the link above
Look for the box that says 'select product family' and click desktop
Another box will appear (select product line) asking for the Acer type. Choose your model.
Then another box will appear (select product model). Select your model number.
Then a box will appear for you to choose your version of Windows. Make sure the check mark is next to only XP, and the rest have a red X.
Then, all of your available drivers will be listed below your selections.
Score
May 12, 2010 7:10:13 AM

I have found and got into what you said when I click on one of those it says open or save and if I click save it goes to the desk top is that right. Do I download all of them.

Thanks Joann
Score
May 12, 2010 7:51:39 AM

There is no download button.
Score
May 12, 2010 3:02:53 PM

Yep, you did it right. You want to save each desired driver to your desktop. You'll want to look for audio, graphics, sata, and probably ethernet drivers. If there are multiple of each, get the newest one.

Here's what I do...Once they are on your desktop, create a new folder for each download. Right click and extract all the files. You can click browse to change your download location. Click the browse button to change to your new folder.

Once you've extracted the files into their own folder, double click their setup file. That will install the updated driver.
Score
May 13, 2010 8:32:02 AM

Chipset SIS, Audio Realtek, Lan SIS, Modem Agere, Modem Pro-Nets, TV Tuner Leadtek, VGA ATI, VGA NVIDIA, and VGA SIS are the only ones on the list and the date on those is 2008/12/10 on all of them. I extracted all of them and they took a couple of seconds each one. How do you know they are downloaded. I have still got them on my desk top where do I put them.

Thank you for your time.

Joann
Score
May 13, 2010 11:51:23 AM

If the zip file for each of those is sitting on your desktop (or other download location), you have downloaded them.

Now that you've downloaded and extracted the files for each download, the next thing to do, is run the setup file for each. Just go to the location where you extracted the zip files to, and look for an icon called Setup. Double click that, and it'll start the driver install.
Score
May 13, 2010 12:22:06 PM

Now I have 10 files on my desk top. 5 zipped and 5 nott , I double clicked on the ones that are not and can't find icon for setup. Where will I find this.
Score
May 13, 2010 2:24:38 PM

Look in one of the files that isn't zipped. What are the names of the files in there? If there are lots of them, look for the application or .exe type files.
Score
May 14, 2010 6:21:25 AM

I have looked in all unzipped files and there is nothing for application or exe type files. Is there anyway I can email what is in them to you so you can see if it is right what I have downloaded.

Joann
Score
May 14, 2010 10:01:40 AM

The easiest thing would probably be to take a screenshot, and upload that to imageshack.com. Maximize the folder, so all the files are visible.

Press ctrl+prt scrn, then open word or wordpad, and press shift+insert.
Save the document
Go to the following link, and click the browse button
http://imageshack.us/
Select your screenshot document, and click upload.
Underneath the picture will be codes for your picture. Highlight the Forum code, and paste it here.

If you prefer, you can click the green envelope under my name and private message them to me.
Score
May 16, 2010 6:43:18 AM

I found the set up for Modem ag and audio realtek and installed them but it did nothing. My computer still freezes when I open my caht line on Face/Book then it takes about 10 mins for it to respond again. Could it have sometghing to do with Face book itself. Have you got the link to download and install new drivers for a MITAC computer.
Score
May 16, 2010 7:05:53 AM

I just updated java no it doesn't feeze up on anything else. i will update the flash player. Thank you.
Score
!