Hard drive configuration

pcdr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
raid plus other..

Completing a new build for a client. It is a high end pc and he would like 2 sata drives in a raid configuration (striped) for processing a high end enignnering application and one for storage or possibly 2 more drive mirrored. From everything I have read can't find where this is possible. The board will have the capability of 32 mb of ram 8mb initally installed with a quad core xeon processor running win xp pro 64 bit. The high process app will only be set to run on a single core.

So can anyone tell me if the drive configuration he requested is possible?

2 different raid configurations - one machine?

What is the best way to meet these specification for storage and processing?

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I shouldn't be sarcastic if I can't even spell correctly! LOL 32md of ram.:) You meant 32gb with 8gb initially. A striped raid array with a mirrored aray or 2 striped arrays should be possible if your board's features allows for it.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'm not saying I have your answer, but if you provide the model of the mobo preferably with a link you will be more likely to get a response. A more accurate response at that.

runswindows95

Distinguished
On the majority of server mobo's (possible even all), it's possible to have two RAID's running at the same time. My advice:

RAID 0 - Two Raptors for the OS and Programs
RAID 1 - This will be for data. Which HDD, it depends on how much storage he needs and/or wants

Then get an external that's the same size as or bigger than the data drives for even more backup.

Edit: As zorg said, knowing the exact mobo would also help. My response is just a rough idea on how to do it if you can.

pcdr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks for all the replies and corrections for my mistyping....

Sounds great right now - was trying not to use a server board - but is ok. Talked with the client and he is in agreement.

Looking to use a quad core xeon processor with XP Pro 64 bit
Looking for board suggestions - 32 gigs of ram max.

I appreciate all your replies. Need to get this one right!

TrentB

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
I have used both ASUS and Supermicro server boards and I prefer Supermicro. As for raid, if you are already going to use four hard drives then use raid 10 (raid 0 + raid 1). Raid 10 gives the performance and redundancy. Look at the X7DWA-N board. On a side note, you do not have to use a server board to perform raid, many desktop boards do raid as well.

pcdr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Yes - I realize that I can use other systems for raid configurations. However this board will have to run separate raid configurations - 1 striped set and 1 mirrored set. The mirrored information will not be associated with the stiped data.

Do you run any systems with both?

TrentB

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006

I run Raid 10(both raid 0 and raid 1) with (4) 74gb Raptors as my boot partition on a Supermicro server board.