Freezing all the time

Joann Clark

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
My computer is getting slower & slower and it is driving me to drink. It is telling me all the time it is not responding so I have to push ctrl, alt & delete and stop the program. Can anyone help me

I'll answer this one so you can delete your other two threads before it becomes confusing. Slowing and freezing can point to a lot of problems and doing it online adds to the list.

Posters will need to know a few more things about the system before relevant advice can be given. Firstly - does it only do this online? If so, it could be a connection issue or one of Broadband speed.

Next - details of the computer - processor, RAM (memory), hard disk size and the amount of free space thereon. Find the first two in XP at the Control panel>System>General tab and the other two in My Computer by right clicking the C:\ icon and going to Properties. The detail is in the pie-chart.

We may need to go further into whether malware is an issue but for the moment, please let us have those details and see whether nothign worse than clutter could be causing this.