Your question

I want 32"?

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2007 1:07:18 AM

What are your input on an 32" LCD TV as a computer monitor. Since black friday is coming up I figure this would be a good time to buy them. Would 720p be good enough for a 32" or would it be better to just get a 1080p. However with the 1080p I haven't found any screen size smaller than 40". Is 1366 resolution good enough for games on that size monitor? I will be viewing the screen at about 8ft away. The brands I have consider was Sony, Panasonic, and HP. I want to keep my budget at around $1000, lower if possible. Will also consider any other suggestions or alternatives. Thanks for the inputs, much appreciated.

More about : question

November 21, 2007 1:27:18 AM

A 20" monitor will have more resolution that one with 1366 versus 1680x1050, thats 1680 progressive.
November 21, 2007 1:30:57 AM

dude if you gonna get a TV it's either 1080p or nothing
Related resources
November 21, 2007 1:42:39 AM

itotallybelieveyou said:
dude if you gonna get a TV it's either 1080p or nothing

Could you be more descriptive?

November 21, 2007 1:58:41 AM

The situation in question is the resolution. 32" 720p monitors have a 1366x768 resolution which is unforgiveable as a pc monitor. Especially considering that it is a 32" display...The pixels are massive so therefore it's not good for close computer monitors. If you are at a large distance away it may be beneficial.

If you are considering a tv monitor for a computer display. To have a beneficial experience at far and close range...you NEED a 1080p display. Their resolution of 1920x1080 will atleast make it a much more pleasant experience. Personally I would never purchase a tv for a computer monitor since they are inferior in my eyes. The dot pitch is just too massive...I'd rather purchase a high quality IPS panel monitor.

But if you do plan to go the TV route. Don't go for anything below 1080p. Otherwise you'll be here complaining once you've purchased it about a blurry picture.

What Systemlord was referring to is the difference between tv and computer displays. Tv's resolution are smaller then computer made panels. 1080p tv set is 1920x1080..Meanwhile a 24 inch LCD computer display has a resolution of 1920x1200. 30" computer monitors display 2560x1600. Computer based monitors have a more/smaller pixels for their size. Which means a higher resolution and smaller dot pitch. The smaller the dot pitch (size of the pixel), the sharper the image.

Hope this helps.
a b C Monitor
November 21, 2007 2:02:28 AM

A TV that mentions 1080p in the ad will normally also work as a monitor at 1920x1080. Other TVs including most 32" versions only have 1366x768, which is a lousy resolution. A 20" or 22" monitor will support 1680x1050, which is MUCH better. If you have an 8800 GT or GTX and enough cash buy an 1080p TV. If not, buy a 22" monitor. Either way, I wouldn't buy a 32" TV to play games on it. I suspect that's what he meant, he just didn't want to spend half an hour typing :) 

Edit: never mind, Kamrooz got there first.

November 21, 2007 2:03:00 AM

junglicious said:
Could you be more descriptive?

Go all the way and the fact that 720p on 32" my 17" has better resolution
November 21, 2007 3:22:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I currently have a Sony VG2030 at 1680. But I wanted to get the biggest TV monitor I can get for a computer display that would also look good enough or better. I'm in the process of building a new reg with a 8800GTX or better. I want to keep my budget for the tower and monitor to be under 3g. If the TV monitor would not be a good idea, would moving down to a 24" computer monitor be better? Any other suggestions? I really would like to get around a 32" or bigger. I will use it mostly for "researching" over the net, movies, gaming, and occansionally photoshop.
November 21, 2007 4:05:44 AM

get the sharp, they also have a more expensive model for gamers, dunno if its worth the extra
November 21, 2007 4:14:07 AM

Indeed...

Runswindow95: If people think you're crazy for wanting to purchase of 400 dollar monitor. They must think I'm literally insane for willing to spend 1400-1800....lol

Was originally planning to get a Nec 2690WUXI. But decided for the 2490 instead. But the only downside is it doesn't have a wide gamut display. The 2690 does.....I then changed my mind for the dell 30 incher. Only to change my mind again for a gateway XHD3000 until I found out it's a PVA panel and not IPS.

Overall I'm confused...I'm even willing to dump 700 on a refurbished grade a- Sony FW900 widescreen 24" crt. But the fact that it's refurbished with a 700 dollar price tag kinda makes me just want to nab a LCD even though I DESPISE lcd's...Bah...I want FED now! >_<. Personally I think LCD's have way too many faults to outweigh the benefits. If I'm planning to spend 500+ or even 1400+..I want 0 dead pixels...none of this "you can replace it if you have 7 or more dead pixels" bs. Also input lag and response time is an issue for extremely tight video editing which I do. Therefore I somewhat need a LCD...::sighs::..

I might just nab one of the expensive monitors I've mentioned...and a sony fw900 off ebay or something..Time will tell.

junglicious: If you do go the TV route...get a 1080p set. If you plan to go for a computer based monitor. You might want to research deeper into LCD's. There is no perfect LCD monitor out there. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The key to nabbing the best LCD for your needs is to buy one that shares it's strength with what you plan to use it for.

Here's a forum that has a VERY active LCD section. Honestly...I would never purchase any LCD without reading reviews from this forum. Very informative...As well as diving upon the weaknesses and faults of all LCD monitors.

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Just look around in the first 5-10 pages or so of the forum. You'll notice some threads that are 50-150 pages long or even more. This forum has dedicated threads to many different LCD's...It'll help you make a better informed choice. Also make sure you read this..

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1039222

It will help you understand TFT technology more. Last but not least. Here's another link to another site that gets really in depth if you want to get into it more.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Honestly, I really recommend reading both these pages. It makes everything a lot easier on picking the perfect monitor for you. Last thing you want to do is spend 500 dollars on something that ends up being horrid for your uses...just because someone who doesn't know any better says "Yea...This is a great monitor, I recommend it"...

With lcd's..don't gamble. Research a little and learn the technology. Then read what other people have posted on that forum regarding the different monitors. They even have some threads about using TV based monitors as well which if you're still interested are pretty informative. Enjoy ^_^.
November 21, 2007 1:05:24 PM

1366x768 isn't 720p. 1280x720 is 720p and I've used 720p on a 37" and a 42" lcd and it's fine for movies and tv. For gaming you might want more resolutions such as a 1080p - but you might want to investigate what resolutions your games support, first. Not all games are wide screen friendly.
November 21, 2007 1:11:36 PM

I almost forgot - my buddy wasn't convinced until I basically forced my 720p 37" Viewsonic on him - now he swears by it. But then again he only does video and photo editing.
a b C Monitor
November 21, 2007 1:16:55 PM

Check out the Samsung 275T monitor. 27", 1920x1200. It's C$969 at FutureShop where I live. Fantastic reviews...
November 21, 2007 9:05:14 PM

utaka95 said:
1366x768 isn't 720p. 1280x720 is 720p and I've used 720p on a 37" and a 42" lcd and it's fine for movies and tv. For gaming you might want more resolutions such as a 1080p - but you might want to investigate what resolutions your games support, first. Not all games are wide screen friendly.

typo...lol...
November 21, 2007 10:16:00 PM

utaka95 said:

Kamrooz, thanks for the links. I took a peek and it looks great for info.

utaka95, i just figure 1366 was max on 720p since all monitor that advertise 720p has a max resolution of 1366.

So far from what i gather, I might just a 1080p and up my screen size because i have yet not found a 32" that offers 1080p.
November 21, 2007 11:01:35 PM

keep in mind though. 1080p sets average around the 37" size. They do have a few from Sharp and maybe some other brands for a 32" 1080p monitor.

Keep in mind the distance that you sit from your monitor is EXTREMELY important. Even if it is 1080p...If you get a 37 inch display, the pixels are still massive. These solutions are not meant for close up viewing. I'm talking about 4 or 5 feet and above is good If you are dead set on getting a 1080p monitor. Expect to pay anywhere from 800 for really cheap ones up to around 1700 for top notch ones. They do have quite a few within the 1000-1400 dollar range. But honestly though....It's a big investment. I would recommend going to circuit city or any other store and get really close to one depending on how far you sit away from your computer screen. To really see what it's like. Also keep in mind that the video they will show at these stores aren't a desktop configuration. So it'll be worse when you're looking at the desktop since the pixels are larger..You don't get that sharp of text. Honestly..If you are dead set on a 1080p monitor...The smaller the better. the smaller the dot pitch the sharper the quality. ..If you are gonna be sitting a good amount of distance away from the monitor...37" would be fine also.

But to tell you the truth, these monitors are straight up not a replacement for computer based monitors. Computer monitors always end up being sharper in the higher quality range in terms of picture clarity and color. Almost all tv's use PVA/MVA panels....They can't compare to a high quality IPS panel monitor...

Choice is yours. But tread carefully. Analyze every aspect otherwise you might be regretting it. For a budget of 1,000 as you suggested..you're in the very low range of 1080p monitors...You will be getting 1080p...but they do cut corners for that low of a price tag.

I'm going to be getting myself a new rig in the following months. So far have my eyes set on either a Nec 2490 WUXI, Dell 3007WFP-HC, or a gateway XHD3000...I'll be putting down roughly 1400 to 1700 dollars for the monitor. But their quality is top notch. If you want to go the computer display route. You can get yourself a nice 24 incher for around 500-700. Even higher up they have better choices...IPS would be ideal but they are becoming more and more rare thanks to consumers "Wow!...a 26 inch lcd for 200 dollars!..I'm there!" ideology. TN panels have flooded the market, IPS has become scarce. You'll only see IPS panels in the upper segments now-a-days. But even a high quality PVA monitor should be good...Heck..I'm not willing to dump 1700 on a Gateway XHD3000 for no reason. =P...But the fact that it's a PVA panel is somewhat discouraging to the Nec and Dells IPS panel.

sorry to type a long message...But the point I'm trying to make is research. Think carefully if you want a tv solution or a desktop monitor solution....After all, 1,000 dollars is the low budget of 1080p monitors...While in the desktop monitor market that can get you a pretty nice high quality monitor.
November 21, 2007 11:18:57 PM

I've got a buddy with a 32" 1366 by 768 that he uses for a TV and computer monitor and it is fine for both. Yeah you can see pixels if you view it from a foot away but you can get a 32" LCD for under $600!

Best thing you can do is get your fanny to a brick and morter store and see for yourself. Go look at a 32" and view it from the distance you plan to view it from at your home. My guess is so long as you are at least 3-4 feet away the pixels will not bother you. If they do bother you will need to save up some more money and invest in a 1080p tv/monitor, which will be a lot more expensive.

Dot pitch is what determines how close you can be before the pixels become noticeable. Because a 40 inch is bigger than a 32 inch it will have bigger dots/bixels at the same resolution so you will need to sit farther away from a 40" than a 32" all things equal.

Games look awesome on my friends 32" LCD and even better on my 50" 1366 by 768 plasma. Yeah a 22/24" monitor has higher res but it doesn't matter. Trust me a 24 inch monitor looks like a PSP compared to a 32 or 50 inch HD screen.

Don't take my word for it, go look at a store. Heck if you are in my area you can come over and look at mine. PM me if you are interested.

One word of warning: Avoid non-HD EDTV panels. Their res is only 480p and that really is not enough to be used as a monitor. You need 720p minimum.
November 21, 2007 11:48:11 PM

sorry lakedude. You are 100% dead wrong in stating a 22/24" monitor looks like a psp to a 32 or 50 inch HD screen. those 22/24" monitors have a higher resolution then 720p and 1080p displays. The smaller the pixels the sharper the image. Also, most HD screens use PVA panels. They will of course look better then a cheap **** 22/24" using a TN panel. But compared to IPS panels and nice PVA panels in the 24" inch range. They are flat out inferior. 1366 by 720 is an EXTREMELY small resolution. Gaming on a 20 or 22 inch at 1680x1050 is extremely nice. a 24" with 1920x1200 is even nicer. You can't really compare an HD tv set to a **** TN panel display monitor. Compare it to a similar PVA/MVA panel and you'll see the difference. Take a step even higher and compare it to a IPS panel and you'll see the difference in color accuracy and detail losses in darker areas.

With current hardware...1680 and above resolutions are becoming more acceptable. Current graphics cards can play games at 1680x1050 and even 1920x1200 res at good levels. Although for 1920x1200, a dual card solution becomes a possible solution...but even so a 8800 GTX or 8800 GT can still due very well at this resolution without a SLI setup. Although obviously not in crysis...Damn game is a rig killer.

If you always use very low resolutions for your rig...then a 720p monitor might be fine..But they are no where near the detail of pc monitors when it comes to gaming. Keep in mind...computer games don't use High def resolutions...They can go even higher..Therefore it has benefits for gaming....If you do nothing but consoles that only support 720p..Then that would make sense. But with computers...I'd go minimum 1080p...But I'd prefer a nice higher quality flat panel..Since 1080p sets start around 1000...and dumping that much into the lowest level 1080p sets is a bit iffy to me.
November 22, 2007 12:02:32 AM

I'm not wrong, I've got a 22" 1080p LCD and a 50" 720p plasma so I know what I'm talking about. I understand what you are saying but I'm still not wrong, it is a matter of taste, money and value.

Just looked at the WalMart add in the break room. They got an updated version of my friends 32" LCD for $448. This is an excellent value if you can live with the 720p (I bet you can).
November 22, 2007 12:33:45 AM

Kamrooz

To further illustrate my point:

The PSP's screen is 480 x 272. Would it really do any good to make the PSP screen 1920x1080?

The title of the OP is "I want a 32 inch?" If junglicious was thinking about using a non-HD 32" as a monitor I'd be with you. Old TVs are just too blurry to use as a monitor.

BTW Just got off the cell phone with my buddy that has the 32" and I quote: "The 32 inch works great as both a TV and a monitor."
November 22, 2007 12:55:08 AM

Computer monitor = reach out and touch the screen. Screen size can display a Word document in approximately 1:1 ratio of printed papper to onscreen display.

TV = Throw popcorn and hope to hit the screen. Screen size is big enough to allow my old eyes to view the bouncing ball leave the hands of the shootin guard and hit the rim.

Notice the difference? It is a distance and size issue. A computer monitor sux for use as a TV as the screen size is too small to display my favorite movie in a size that I can see when I am kickback in the lazyboy 8 ft from the screen. Conversely the detail of the TV is not fine enough to clearly distinguish a q from a g on a webpage when my eyeballs are only 18" away.

Try out the TV's and computer monitors at BB or CC. See for yourself.

As to the dudes that have one screen for all purposes I must wonder if "works great" is young dude speak for I have no clue what I am talking about.
November 22, 2007 1:15:58 AM

go for it
November 22, 2007 1:26:38 AM

StevieD you are 100% correct. I personally use a 22" as a monitor and 50" as a TV. Got the best of both, I'm spoiled. Of course I also got over $3k in displays (stupid me bought before the prices leveled off). Even at today's prices a 50" TV and a 22" monitor are going to run $1500 or so.

If you can imagine for a minute that not everybody has that kind of cash to throw around you might be able to see where a 32" is a nearly ideal compromise, especially at $448. Yeah you are gonna need to sit 3-4 feet away and really small text will be hard to read, so what? You can't beat a 32" for value.

November 22, 2007 1:29:04 AM

lakedude: Your ideology is completely false sorry to say. Just because you "own" two products doesn't give you the qualifications to say one is better then the other. That is your personal opinion, not getting down to the actual differences of the extensive specifications on TFT technology which I have spent time to research. Not all monitors are the same.

Of course it's a matter of preference for choosing between a 720p or 1080p television set compared to a computer display monitor. But that's the not the main factor here. You're forcing your opinion that I can live with a much smaller resolution display that is inferior. I can NOT live with a 720p display as a monitor. That's a fact. Even a 20" widescreen monitor has 1680x1050 pixels. That's above a 720p displays ability. Also...Consoles and computers have different needs from displays. computer games aren't bound by a 720p and 1080p resolution limit. They can go far above that. Forcing it down to 1366x720p will actually hurt quality thanks to the limitation of the 720 horizontal lines. PC games and desktops aren't limited to this unlike some consoles which only output 480, 720, or 1080.. Forcing a computer based game to a 720 horizontal line is a loss in detail compared to a 20" desktop display which runs for 1050 in a desktop display. This is an extremely basic fact which you are overlooking. I'm sorry to say you do not know what you're talking about. Just because your "personal opinion" on stating that it "looks fine" doesn't mean diddly squat. It's not for no reason that those who understand TFT technology point out that 1080p is the way to go for a television based display running via a computer . There's a specific reason they do so. If your sitting at a decently close level to a 720p set which is running via a computer...It will be blurry...It all depends on how far you are sitting from your computer.

Computers output much higher resolutions. The higher the resolutions, the sharper the picture, and more detail that can be seen from textures. If I'm not mistaken, xbox 360 use to support only 720p till recently. The PS3 supports 1080, as well as the xbox 360 since they added that feature. While the Wii only supports 480 and will probably stick with it considering how cheap the production costs for the Wii are. Once agian these are consoles. They can only output certain resolutions. PC's are not limited by this. That's why we can run a 30 inch computer display monitors with resolutions as big as 2560x1600. It is capable of running 1600p if there was such a HD format.

So please, I have nothing at all against you. But please don't spout nonsense which just ends up confusing more people. I've read many threads where people have complained about 720p monitors being too blurry for a computer display. It's not a common situation for no reason. There are actual facts and specifications behind it causing that. Just because it's fine for you or your friend doesn't make it fair to refer it to others when many people complain about them.

Regarding your matter of taste, money and value statement. Of course it is, that's how life always works. We try to get by with the best we can get with the money we have. But it's not right to suggest something that lots of people have had problems with. I'm just informing him of the common distaste for 720p television sets as a computer based display. Why limit yourself to such a set just for the size when there are issues with image clarity? If this was a television/console use display that's one thing. But for computer displays that's a complete different story.

Last but not least, I'm a gamer, video editor, graphics designer, 3d modeler, and 2d/3d artist. So don't state that I could probably live with a 720p display. I can't..I need a high quality IPS panel which delivers great color accuracy for my video/graphics projects. I also need a mix of screen real estate and resolution...a 720p set can't deliver the resolution aspect...a 1080p set can. But I prefer computer based display monitors since their resolutions can even exceed that of 1080p sets, offer much better clarity in a smaller dot bitch IPS panel which means improved sharpness, and unrivaled color accuracy which you really don't get with PVA panels. When working with 2d art, graphics, video, 3d modeling...all this is a very important factor.

Junglicious: 1080p is the way to go if you plan to use it for a computer. I'm just trying to save you the hassle which many people have gone through and ended up returning their sets. Some even having to pay a 15% restocking fee thanks to online purchases. Overall..Try to save up a little extra money....You can get a 1080p westinghouse 37" if you want for around a grand. Or even a sharp 32" 1080p set for around 1100 excluding tax/shipping which has smaller real estate but a smaller dot pitch for extra sharpness. But keep in mind...You can get a very nice 24" display with a good PVA panel for around 500-700, higher resolution, sharper image, real estate is just smaller.

Just check out the forums I linked you too. Read through thoroughly and find the monitor that suits your strengths. If you look around and research at the hardforum before making your purchase...you'll end up with a monitor that will atleast satisfy your uses. Compared to purchasing multiple monitors and returning them due to blurriness, inadequate color precision, resolution issues, and many other factors.
a b C Monitor
November 22, 2007 1:37:44 AM

Hmm for $1000 try the Planar 26" PX2611W it's 1920x1200 so games don't bog down as much as a 30" monitor. It's under $1000, big, and it has almost no input lag.

Do you really want to sit 8 feet from your monitor? Most PC games are designed for the user to be about 2 or 3 feet away. I played oblivion on a 56" 1280x720 dlp tv but that game's UI was designed for the xbox 360, I had to move my computer back to regular monitor for the next game because the text was too small.

Samsung makes a pretty sweet 27" (275t) monitor too that might work better with consoles. I'd stay away from the 28" made by acer and hansG.

And if you happen to have two 8800 gtxs in sli mode, you might wait for Dell to have a special on their 30 incher.

Just FYI I have that 26" Planar sitting right next to a 32" Samsung lcd tv (mounted on the wall with a swing arm). I have my computer hooked up to switch between them but I never run on the tv I just use that to watch... tv.

Yeah I own too many monitors/tvs (Planar PX2611, Dell 2405, Samsung 213t, 32" Samsung lcd tv, and a 56" Samsung DLP tv) The Planar is my favorite.

November 22, 2007 1:41:15 AM

MagicPants said:
Hmm for $1000 try the Planar 26" PX2611W it's 1920x1200 so games don't bog down as much as a 30" monitor. It's under $1000, big, and it has almost no input lag.

Do you really want to sit 8 feet from your monitor? Most PC games are designed for the user to be about 2 or 3 feet away. I played oblivion on a 56" 1280x720 dlp tv but that game's UI was designed for the xbox 360, I had to move my computer back to regular monitor for the next game because the text was too small.

Samsung makes a pretty sweet 27" (275t) monitor too that might work better with consoles. I'd stay away from the 28" made by acer and hansG.

And if you happen to have two 8800 gtxs in sli mode, you might wait for Dell to have a special on their 30 incher.

Just FYI I have that 26" Planar sitting right next to a 32" Samsung lcd tv (mounted on the wall with a swing arm). I have my computer hooked up to switch between them but I never run on the tv I just use that to watch... tv.

Indeed... The first monitor I originally planned to purchase was the Planar PX2611W. It's a great display for the money. It also runs a IPS panel as well. Although it does have some issues since the price tag is quite low for a IPS 26" display. But the faults lie in the firmware. for the money though it's definitely a fantastic monitor. It also has only 1 frame of input lag. For the price range and input lag/response time...it's a great monitor for gaming. Great price with screen real estate and resolution.

There are tons of monitors for you to choose from junglicious. Whether it be a HD television set or a computer based monitor. If you can make a decision off that I can try to help you out with a small list of good displays. Also state your uses which would help as well.
November 22, 2007 2:08:05 AM

Kamrooz Man take a pill. I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone. In fact my opinion is that the OP should venture out into the world (perhaps to WalMart) and see if he can live with a 720p display.
November 22, 2007 3:07:28 AM

I'm not angry at all although it may sound so on certain segments of the last post. It's just the wonderful world of the internet and not being able to comprehend a individuals current state of mind/emotions. I also misread the "I bet you can" statement towards me. The main factor lies though that 720p isn't a great choice for a computer based display. Especially for gaming...When playing FPS and such you don't really want to sit too far back. I've seen many of these setups and most of the time it's flat out annoying for people in certain situations.

Also..Junglicious, since you stated you want to game and use photoshop..I heavily suggest a 1080p set. 720 horizontal lines it just way too small for photoshop use. You really need a larger resolution to work with in that regard.

Here are a few links to some 1080p sets in your price range. I'll also try to post a hardforum link to the official threads if they have one. This way you can see the faults and actual pictures of it in operation.

$899.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1221199&highl...

A cheap solution.....quality may not be that great as you can see from the pictures. But the pictures themselves don't seem to be from a good camera due to pixelation on frames and some desk shots.

---------------------

$1199.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1171795&highl...

Overall seems like a better monitor. Pricier though as it's 200 above your budget excluding tax + shipping if you buy online. check out the last few pages for some more nice shots. Overall looks decent. I pulled up these 2 sharp monitors since they are 32" 1080p television sets.

----------------------

799.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1088497

This one is a 37 incher. Westinghouse and Vizio are both known for good low budget sets. But keep in mind people have had issues with the LVM-37W3SE model. The LVM-37W3 model is out of stock pretty much everywhere. Hard to get...But overall still not a bad monitor. Read into the rather large thread from hardforum for further info and pics.

-----

Here are some other monitors to look at...in the 1080p range that aren't as well known...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

-------------

By the way. I posted those first 32" 1080p displays to stay as close to a computer based monitor as possible. But from the pictures on hardforum you can notice how in console games and tv usages it looks great. But on the desktop it is a completely different experience. This is one reason why I prefer an actual desktop display compared to a television display. but overall it still does the job well. The 720p displays are just too small of a resolution to have an enjoyable experience at a closer range. Overall it's a tough choice when speaking about HD television sets...After all, 1,000 brings you into the low range 1080p segment.

BTW, just re-read your main post...at about 8 feet away you can get away with both. But keep in mind you will have a very tough time browsing your computer at that range. Text overall just seems small and hard to read. If that's the case you might want to go with the 37" westie monitor. Keep in mind you will probably run into a few issues in games where you really won't be able to read/discern certain scernarios/segments of gaming...Such as radar, small txt in mmorpg's and other similar situations. But read the hardforum for info regarding the SE version that is being sold now to get a complete idea. Are you 100% sure about 8 feet away though? Cause if that's the case you might be able to get away with a 720p set as the pixels will be larger and might make everything easier to read at long distances. You'll lose some details though...you also will have to put up with the distance as it tends to get on some peoples nerves...which by then they end up pulling everything closer...which isn't good for 720p sets as the pixels are massive. It's a tough predicament.

As I stated before...head over to a shop such as circuit city, best buy, or a similar store and check out the screens from the distance you intend to watch them at. Also, if you have a laptop, try taking it in and see if they'll let you connect to it to check it out. If you have a friend who has a 720p or 1080p set...Head over there house with a laptop or your computer to test it out. The most important thing is to decide how far you want to sit away from your set and are 100% sure you won't change your mind and move it around.

Hope this helps...if you have any questions just
November 22, 2007 3:23:19 AM

I really do appreciate all the response and input. I will be most likely use my computer for "researching" the net, movies, games, and occasionally photoshop. I think i understand where Kam is coming from, getting the best of the best or best bang for the buck. I am the same way. I either get the best bang for the buck (doesn't necessary mean cheap either) or get the best of best even if it means upping my amount. I'll even push it up to $1700 if I have to. I still would like 32" or bigger, but if its not going to be worth it in the long run then I guess I will settle for the biggest computer monitor out there. I usually do extensive research to anything I buy, even when its something so simple. I think it just how us tech people think?
November 22, 2007 3:34:50 AM

junglicious said:
I really do appreciate all the response and input. I will be most likely use my computer for "researching" the net, movies, games, and occasionally photoshop. I think i understand where Kam is coming from, getting the best of the best or best bang for the buck. I am the same way. I either get the best bang for the buck (doesn't necessary mean cheap either) or get the best of best even if it means upping my amount. I'll even push it up to $1700 if I have to. I still would like 32" or bigger, but if its not going to be worth it in the long run then I guess I will settle for the biggest computer monitor out there. I usually do extensive research to anything I buy, even when its something so simple. I think it just how us tech people think?

Indeed...I research every aspect to make sure I get the best possible configuration/parts if it's a pc...or in other electronics the right features and strengths to suit what I'm using the product for. It's honestly the best way to go about it even though it takes some time. When I go about building myself a new computer..I spend about 1-2 months reading extensively into the parts I'm considering and other alternative choices before I make the leap. I'm in that dilemma right now with a Sony FW900 or a LCD...lol.

Overall though...If you do plan to up your budget to 1700..you have a wide variety to choose from. You can even get a nice high quality 1080p tv set. Even in the 40-47 inch range. If you go that route it would be the best combination with a 1080p set. You'll get the size to support some nice viewing distance thanks to the larger pixels...Without any quality loss thanks to the 1080p horizontal lines. But the biggest issue IMO is finding out from how far you will be sitting. Most people say they will sit a certain distance from the set only to change their mind after they find it difficult to view text and other similar situation. Try to find a friends tv set if they have one or check out a store such as best buy and such like I mentioned. Do you happen to have a laptop?..I would recommend giving it a go. Once you are set on the distance you want to view the tv from and have tested it..it makes choosing the right set a lot easier.
a b C Monitor
November 22, 2007 4:08:03 AM

If you are willing to go $1700 I think the best option would be to buy a 30" panel

BUT if you must go with a television check this out
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$1449 for a sharp 37" that was designed for use with game consoles, 1080p, low input lag, HDMI and DVI. From the 176 degree viewing angle I assume it's MVA.

Only issue I saw from reading the comments is that if your video card doesn't support 1080p the highest resolution is 1360x768.
November 22, 2007 4:32:51 AM

Most last generation mid range cards can support 1920x1080. Such as a x1950 pro. For gaming it is probably not the best bet though since those high resolutions will suffer from performance hits, since the x1950 pro is slowly becoming outdated thanks to the new mid range solutions from ATI. But after all, if he's willing to spend that much for a new monitor..Chances are he has a really beefy video card.
November 22, 2007 10:20:20 AM

Kam, I will take a look at those monitor from newegg later today.

What is everyone input on these TV monitor from circuitcity, bestbuy, compusa thanksgiving sale.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sharp-32-Aquos-LCD-HDTV-LC32D62U/sem/rpsm/oid/174523/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Vizio-42-LCD-HDTV-GV42LFHDTV10A/sem/rpsm/oid/188805/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-37-LCD-HDTV-LT-37X688/sem/rpsm/oid/185496/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sharp-32-AQUOS-LCD-HDTV-LC-32GP1U/sem/rpsm/oid/186143/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=188919&linkid=j13459594k134025&affiliateid=k134025&mid=

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=YHKKSCQQ1WW2RKC4D3MFAFQ?skuId=8483704&st=8483704&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1186004970108

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8346685&st=8346685&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1175902657231

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=344857&cm_ven=Performics&cm_cat=Passwird%20Deals&cm_pla=General&cm_ite=Primary&ref=performics

I was thinking maybe the Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p for $1299.99.

I also added some computer monitors:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=222-7175

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0970148

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2835wm/

In this section I was seriously thinking of the Dell 30"

Yes, I am building a new reg. The tower will cost around $2000 with the lastest graphic card and a quad core cpu. I usually build one every 3 years or so.
November 22, 2007 10:02:49 PM

Kamrooz said:

BTW, just re-read your main post...at about 8 feet away you can get away with both. But keep in mind you will have a very tough time browsing your computer at that range. Text overall just seems small and hard to read. If that's the case you might want to go with the 37" westie monitor. Keep in mind you will probably run into a few issues in games where you really won't be able to read/discern certain scernarios/segments of gaming...Such as radar, small txt in mmorpg's and other similar situations. But read the hardforum for info regarding the SE version that is being sold now to get a complete idea. Are you 100% sure about 8 feet away though? Cause if that's the case you might be able to get away with a 720p set as the pixels will be larger and might make everything easier to read at long distances. You'll lose some details though...you also will have to put up with the distance as it tends to get on some peoples nerves...which by then they end up pulling everything closer...which isn't good for 720p sets as the pixels are massive. It's a tough predicament.

Hope this helps...if you have any questions just

Would upping the DPI help? On my vg2030 I upped the default 96 DPI to 120 DPI to make the text bigger and more easily readable. I figure I could just up my DPI setting to around 200 for a 32" or bigger monitor.
November 23, 2007 1:01:58 AM

Indeed you can up the DPI to compensate if the text is too small from a long distance. It does look funky though...But it does work.

Regarding your choices. It's all about the distance and your preference. Personally I'd nab myself a 30 inch computer display monitor. But you need to keep in mind those 30 inchers hit 2560x1600 resolution. At that resolution...a dual card solution becomes almost a definite must. You won't be able to play with high eye candy on. You'd have to two run via 2 graphics cards to support that resolution for gaming with some eyecandy. Also...You need to make sure your currents graphics card has a dual link DVi connector if you plan to just use your current card. Cause if not it can't support the resolutions for the monitor. So, based on that fact it's up to you..Cause if you don't have a dual card motherboard you'd have to purchase one with an additional card that you are currently using...or two brand new cards if your video card is dated.

For the television solution...It's pretty much resolution wise almost a match for 24" display monitor. Computer based displays at 24" run 1920x1200 resolution. While the tv's are running 1920x1080. At these resolutions, a high end card is basically pushed to it's limits. You can play with some decent eye candy levels but nothing compared to playing at lower resolutions. Once you hit the 1920+ resolution area..Dual cards become a needed asset if you plan to play with lots of visual goodies and AA/AF. If you don't mind not playing at native resolutions you can bump up the eye candy....But keep in mind playing at non native resolutions produces a slightly fuzzier/blurrier picture since the image needs to be spread among the pixels. But if your monitor supports 1:1 pixel mapping this is a non issue. If you don't know what 1:1 pixel mapping is...It's a feature that will let you play a game in a lower resolution without stretching the image. It'll put black borders around the pixels not being used. So if you plat at 1920x1200 on a 2560x1600 monitor...it would place a black border on excess pixels above 1920x1200. Kind of like a monitor in a monitor. Google it for more info if you are a bit confused (not all monitors support this).

Choice is pretty much yours though on which route you want to take. Considering you want to spend this much..You should go for one of the larger 40+ inches variety if you want to sit back. Or, go for a superior 30 inch computer display that would require a closer vicinity as well as a dual card solution to play games at native res with lots of eye candy/AA/AF. Also keep in mind though that even on the 1080p HDTV's, it is on the verge of needing a dual card solution at native res. Although, it's a bit more lax, and you can get away with more eye candy compared to 2560x1600 on a single card. Also just to ease your mind a bit...Running at these higher resolutions in a way gives off free antialiasing. Since the resolutions get larger, jagged lines become less visible. So you'll be able to get by with smaller amounts of AA, even none at times. So it has strengths and weaknesses..

Choice is yours. Keep in mind though that those expensive 32 inch aquos displays are the same ones I linked to on newegg...They are cheaper there too.. But they are also the ones on the hardforum links as well so you may want to read up on them. But if you want to buy it in the store, check their return policy, you might be able to just return the monitor if it has any dead pixels/issues with excessive backlight bleeding. If you plan to have a dual card solution..There would be no point to really purchase those 1080p 32" tv's. You may as well just nab the dell 30 incher (S-IPS panel) or something similar (XHD3000 from gateway, PVA...But the digital chip they have in there for video is simply astounding...although the monitor costs around 1700...lol..Kinda disappointing that it's a PVA though, nearly perfect monitor except for that feature (read up on the hardforum about it, They had a defect which has been fixed though in current produced models).

But if you plan to have a single card solution, one of the HDTV's would be more sufficient since the 2560x1600 res is in dire need of SLI/CF. BTW, What graphics card do you even have? It's a very important factor when considering a 30 inch display monitor with 2560x1600 native res or a 1080p TV. Chances are though that you wouldn't notice too much of a difference between lower res usage on these tv's then their native....But running at native on LCD's offer the best quality.

So yea, all based on which video card solution you have/want. If you have or are planning to nab a dual car solution and want to sit closer...the 30 inch pc monitors would be the best bet. If you have a single high end card and want to watch from a large distance, the bigger tv's would suit you better.

Can't really recommend anything without knowing your setup. Also if you've changed your mind to sit close or still sit far away. Keep in mind though, The larger the display the larger the dot pitch (pixels). The larger the pixels...the more of a pain it will look if you change your mind and decide to sit closer. But also remember you can use the DPI settings in your video card properties to adjust the text size. It does look funky, I personally can't stand it. But at a distance, It shouldn't be too bad.

Get back to me with what you are thinking. Changed your mind? Close or far?, What graphics card do you have? If you plan to buy a new one, single card or dual solution? Also which card?...All are very key important factors when purchasing a high res monitor.
November 23, 2007 1:47:58 AM

I plan on getting a 8800GTX or better if one comes out in time. I will be sitting at around 6-7ft away. Yea the Sharp 46" for $1299 is very tempting. I did take a look at the hardforum you linked too and did read some reviews about the 32" sharp and how suppose sharp lcd tv over saturated red letters. I did notice the sharp 32" cheaper on newegg too. I wonder if $300 more is worth it for a sharp 46". Not to mention they might even be sold out by the time I get a chance to get one that or I have to fight someone for one (lol), the sharp 46". It almost black friday so I will have to pick something soon if i want one of the black friday deals. As for the Dell 30" I was thinking about doing ebay, they are around $1200 new and $1000 used.
November 23, 2007 2:05:10 AM

Indeed..But don't get a 8800 GTX...If you can, try to nab a dual 16x pci-e mobo. Then nab two 8800 GT's. You will end up with better performance from a GTX with a cheaper price (availability is an issue though..but VERY much worth it). This way you can turn on a lot of eye candy. I'm planning to build myself a rig soon if I can't wait for the new high ends to surface. If that's the case I'm definitely nabbing two 8800 GT's instead of a 8800 GTX. Afterall, This is currently the era of Tri SLI/QuadFire...They wouldn't release 200-300 cards that offer performance that nearly/do match their high ends for no reason. They are trying to pull in some serious bank...and with the performance the 8800 GT offers..it makes it a absolute steal two nab two of these for a SLI rig. The only bad part is getting a nvidia intel chipset since they are disappointing...But with the new nvidia chipset around the corner..Who knows. Maybe they fixed their mistakes from the 680 series.

Overall, it's your choice, considering that the 8800 GT is hard to nab except for ebay you might decide otherwise. You can find it from a few places if you keep checking in periodically. You'd also have to wait for the new nvidia chipset which is due to launch soon. Damn nvidia though for not allowing their dual card solution to work on x38 boards. Heck..If they had a decent chipset with the 680 series it would of been fine to limit the use to their chipset. But forcing people to eat up that garbage when their intel based chipset boards suck ass is just inexcusable...greedy bastards.

But yea...up to you..lol..an 8800 GTX is still a nice card. For those TV's it should work great...But try to keep the AA/AF down so you can run on higher settings in game. BTW, Don't nab an EVGA card. I know most people recommend it. XFX is far better in my eyes. With EVGA you get a limited lifetime warranty and a 3 month step up once registered. With xfx you get a double lifetime warranty. You can sell the product to 2nd hand buyer and they get the lifetime warranty as well. This way you can wait till the new high ends are about to be released and just sell the card a month or so before they're out. You just sell it for around 100 or so less then the current retail, Then slap on an extra 100-200 and buy the new high end. You can pretty much indefinitely have a high end card always for a little effort and 100-200 out of your pocket. Also, Their warranty covers overclocking...you can still OC with EVGA since it's hard to find out if someone has oc'ed the card...But it's nice to have it on the warranty which XFX does. You can overclock it as much as you want...They will replace the card if it dies..It's modder friendly as well. You can replace the heatsink without fear as well...They just ask to replace it with the stock heatsink if you RMA the card. XFX = Top notch...EVGA is also good..But IMO overrated.

Regarding the monitors, that 46 inch sharp aquos does look nice. It goes for 1999.99 on newegg. Is it a black friday deal? If so try to nab that sucker up cause it does indeed look nice. remember to search for reviews!..It seems to be new though. if that's the case it might make it difficult to do so for that set.
November 23, 2007 2:31:36 AM

Yup the new model, LC46D64U, is retail at $2499. Newegg has it for $1999 with out tax or shipping ($100). Circuitcity bf deal is $1299 and no need for shipping because its instore buy only. Guess I'll have to warm up my left hook for this one.
November 23, 2007 2:43:03 AM

lol..Indeed. Did you happen to try to call in a few places to see if they have it in stock? Then wake up a bit early and head over there to wait before it opens. That's what I'd do considering the savings on that sucker.
November 23, 2007 3:40:48 AM

I didn't get it. Got there at around 4am, and there was a line 3 stores down. They supposely had 30 and one of my friends got one but I don't know when he came. I think some people stayed the night or came at 12am. Even when I left an hr later there was still a long line 3 stores (big corporate stores) down. So now i'm really thinking about the dell 30", an actual computer monitor.
November 24, 2007 12:18:14 AM

That sucks...lol...I would of waited up all night for those type of prices. Thanks to my odd sleeping schedule though..I don't sleep till around 5-6 am anyways...so it would of worked perfectly for me...but too bad I'm broke =(.
November 24, 2007 1:59:08 AM

Yea I made a newbie mistake since this is my first time even attempting bf. I will be prepare next time if i decide to go again. Some people brought blankets/pillows and some brought tents that were all left behind for those deals i guess. I thinking I'm going to scratch the dell 30" too since I read it has shadowing for DVD playback and If you don't do the max resolution its not that great of a picture quality. I'm thinking about picking up the thermaltake armor from zipzoomfly, they have a special going on today for $70 after instant rebate and mail in rebate plus free shipping with paypal.

I was close to picking up the sharp 52" model for $2200 but my room is not big enough for it...
November 24, 2007 2:45:16 AM

Ok I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything, just making an observation. I missed the boat earlier not realizing that the budget was up to $1700.

Here is the thing about resolution. Digital displays MUST be run at their native res or they look like crap. Got another buddy that paid extra to get an extra high res display on his laptop. Since his vision is not that great he could not read the tiny writing on the display at native so he runs the laptop at a lower than native res to magnify the desktop. IMHO he would have been better off saving money and getting a lower res panel that he could run native. It would have been cheaper and it would have looked better.

All I'm saying is that you should make sure you need all the extra pixels before spending a ton of extra money to purchase them. If you want/need em fine. If you don't need em they are a waste of money.

Also don't listen to anybody, including me, cause different people have different tastes. I got a very expensive highly rated (everybody loves it) 19" Viewsonic that I can't stand because of ghosting issues. Got a piece of crap, el-cheapo 20" Septre that cost less than half as much that I personally prefer because it is a faster panel. Yes the Viewsonic has a nicer looking static display, prettier colors, more even backlight etc. but I still prefer the Septre for games and video (anything with fast motion).
!