[Help] Very Odd Power Down Issue

rightsaid

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
I have a 4 year old computer I bought from ABS that is behaving very odd during shutdown. When I shut the computer down via windows, instead of turning off and going silent, it now produces a high-pitched whining sound while powering down. All the fans continue to spin and all the lights in the computer, and the drive activity lights, flash rapidly. The fans and the lights then begin to spin and flash progressively slower over the course of about 15 seconds, after which, the computer is finally off.

This is a new issue, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with something like this? Is the power supply the problem, or is the motherboard at fault? I don't use this computer that much anymore, but I'm afraid one of these times, when I shut it down, it will fry a component and not come back on.

Any help is appreciated.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
See if it's a software problem first. Go to start>run>type "msconfig" (no quotes) > click the "Startup" tab > Click the "Disable All" button. Now try shutting down and see if your HDD's go crazy. (I'm pretty sure that's what your whining noise is coming from given that the HDD lights are also flashing)

You should probably also run AdAware, CCleaner, and a Virus Scan of some sort to make sure you don't have any malicious junk writing to your HDD before shutdown.

rightsaid

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Thanks for the reply, but I just did a complete reinstall of windows on it and the same thing still occured on a fresh windows install.

Not only are my HD lights flashing, but my dvd-rom activity lights, as well. My fans also continue to spin after the computer is off and slowly spin down till they stop on their own.