Toms Hardware ! u can make Amd think

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Well tom , as u said b4 in one of your articles about how if it wasnt for Amd the cpu industry would not be were it was today , because if it was not for Amd intel would not have pushed their developers so hard to make the amazing Core2 duo that finaly beat Amd 64 after years of Amd dominance .

Now if theres someone that can talk to the big heads up there and tell them to release a freken Unlocked Phenom with atleast 2mb of l2 cache x4 then everything would be good for amd . Ofcourse thats unless the chip doesnt benefit from l2 cache wich it would be the first chip that doesnt.

Theres a reason why intel jumped out of nowhere and released info about their q9770 when they knew at that time last week that the phenom was a weakling. Dont u think thats strange? u guys knew a couple of days earlier right and so did intel about the phenoms performance. So does intel know something we dont.

Anyways the point is that if Amd goes bankrupt there will be no competition for intel and therefore slow progress down. Talk the the big heads at amd tell them its not about cost anymore for the consumer. id rather pay 40$ more but get something that I know I can make into 8cores in the future but that I know its faster than a q6600.

Does the Tom staff think that the reason the prosessor doesnt scale good at 3ghz is because of the l2 cache? or just the processor itself?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Intel's point in releasing the QX9770 on paper wasn't to compete with AMD... Far from it, not only does AMD have anything near that performance.. they have nothing in that price bracket.

The QX9770 was to get some press on Intel while the Phenom was being launched as a "diversion" tactic. AMD doesn't benefit from huge amounts of L2 Cache as it has an IMC on the chip. Intel's QDR FSB does benefit from it as the IMC is in the NB.

I'd love to see an unlocked Phenom. However, after reading more reviews as posted by Epsilon84 I would say it's pretty useless. If the thermals scale the way they appear to, there is no point in having an unlocked Phenom.

AMD won't go bankrupt. Intel doesn't want to see AMD crash and burn. Intel would get investigated for unfair practices, etc.. the stuff they went through in the EU just recently.

The reason the cost to consumer is low is not because they aimed for that. They had serious shortcomings in their B2 revision which had to drive the price down to sell. Also.. you won't see 8 cores on AM2 or LGA775 Desktop segments (that I know of). 8 Core will be coming in the form of Nehalem on a new socket and AM3 for AMD. If by 8 core you mean 4x4... that's another story.

It will be interesting to see if the 4x4 design will be worthwhile. Intel's offering will require the mobo and two extreme processors (this is what kills me.. release a non-extreme LGA771 for this). If it does work like I hope.. it would outperform a single Q6600 in heavily threaded applications because it's a "glued" octocore.

It doesn't scale to 3 GHz well because of thermal issues from the places I've read. Hopefully the B3 revision will fix a lot of that so that the Phenom can be competetive.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
well like posted on dailytech. amd is making almost no profit from their phenoms. specialy if intel drops their prices wich they will in january when they replace the q6600 what is intel going to do . ill find a link to that Amd vs intel article posted last week of just how much mone Amd has been losing..

it basicaly came down to manufacturing cost. if amd could make a 45nm chip now they would defenatly increase the on chip mem size without hurting the consumer . very interesting article.

ill wait 1 more month to see what amd comes out with if not ill have to buy a q6600 Bo steping ocd to 3ghz and have top of the line speed.

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

if you didn't leave the 6th grade knowing the difference between: there, their, and they're. maybe you should go back and THEN start making predictions about microprocessor manufacturing.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i lov amd - i just hate the amd chips, slow and do not overclock well, and i hate that they ruined ati - i think amd is great, they have a cool logo and nice colors.

the single core athlon 64 chips where way overrated and poor a true mutlitasking
the dual core chips like the fx-60 barely budge past the stock speeds

they just have crappy chips - only the x2 chips where good chips - single core chips sucked

warped_systemz.png

I would think your view of history is a little skewed. AMD was on top from 2003 - 2006. That corresponds with Intel releasing Prescott and AMD launching the A64. Before that Northwood was awesome. The Athlon XP had run out of gas leading up to 2002.

Thought I would clear that up, I really have a problem with revisionist history.

remember Intel reaching 1Ghz p3 and then recall all the processors. That is when AMD first got on top they stayed on top until Intel came out with P4 with 800Mhz frontside bus and then regained the lead with A64. It is almost 2008 and Intel has been leading the performance war for the past 18 months and for a year with the p4 over Athlon XP. The fact of the matter though is none of us would be buying processors for the current prices if there was no competition. I remember buying my Athlon XP Palomino 1800+ and it was not cheap but second best only to 1900+. All I can say stay in there AMD.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Thank you for contacting AMD technical support.

We are grateful for you support on our products, AMD’s current release of Phenom processors are targeted towards a more affordable true native Quad-core solution market. However, with the introduction of the Spider platform which integrates seamless and convenient upgradeability, rest assured we will release Phenom processors with unlocked multipliers, bigger cache sizes and ultimately faster clock speeds to satisfy our loyal enthusiast customers.

i like the rest assured part .

Here is what you do master, wait till January to give AMD the time they expect to get the 2.4GHz(9700) Phenom out and maybe, just maybe the B3 stepping. Then compare it to the Q9450 Yorkfeild or Q9350(the Q9450 will run at 2.66GHz 12MB chache and Q9350 will be 2.4GHz and have 6mb cache. Not sure why it dropped).

Once you can compare those two chips since they are what AMD is facing then buy. I am pretty sure AMD will not have the B3 stepping by January 08 since they took over a year to release Phenom itself but you never know.

I do rest assured that AMD has hyped their products a lot and not delivered as promised. I can still remember reading about AMD laughing at Intel back in 05 when they told them about Conroe at a conference. Makes me wounder what they were thinking.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
The thing with making a cheap processor is that it is easy, the thing with making a fast processor is that it is hard.

They don't have the bigger faster ones yet, you can't release things that don't exist.