What is the most important part?

What is the most important part in a gaming computer? I'm thinking of doing an upgarade in my old 478 socket rig.
34 answers Last reply
More about what important part
  1. CPU and GPU are both most important. Rest of parts don't affect your quality and fps AS MUCH. Depending whether the game you play is CPU or GPU intensive.
  2. gpu is extremely important just remember you need a good power supply to keep it running as well as it can. cpu is important also, of course.
  3. Thanks for the reply. My rig is the old Intel 478 socket, with
    Celeron D 3.0 gig CPU, ATi Radeon 8500 64 meg GPU, 1 gig pc3200 400mhz DDR2 ULTRA ram installed on a MachSpeed P4M800 board. Right now I'm playing Age Of The Empires II and Halo. Iwant to play some new games like BioShock, Ghost Recon, and Call of Duty. I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU because I only have aprox $150.00 to spend and can't aford a new build. Please help.
  4. I'd like to amplify esmith's remark. While the GPU will probably have the greatest effect on incremental performance of a gaming computer, an inadequate PSU will make that a moot point, as will a cheap one which croaks [violently], possibly taking other parts with it.
    So, what PSU do you have now? If it also needs to be upgraded, you'll spend not less than $65, and possibly twice that on a good one.
  5. Thanks,
    Ultra Value Select 400 watt.
  6. Ooh, sorry to say it, but Ultra PSUs are known to be crap. In fact I read a review on Jonnyguru just today that really came down hard on one; either that size or maybe it was 450 watts. It was a comparative review of four "low-end" PSUs (meaning <500W). Their clear preference was a Corsair unit. The included performance graphs were quite clear.
    In any event, there's a list of PSU tiers. I'd post a link, but I have it at work and I'm at home now. Perhaps someone else would be good enough to post it this evening. Choose one from Tier-3 or better. FSP has some decent units at the lower end of the price range; $57 and $64 come to mind. I've used the 450W model three times this year and had no trouble with it. My own PSU is a Tier-T model (between 2 and 3). If I were buying another PSU, I'd probably choose the 520W Corsair HX model now. Newegg typically doesn't have the best price on that one. I think it is in the $90-$110 range, which plays havoc with your budget, but would be worthwhile if you can swing it. You'd be able to re-use it in your next full build.
  7. Thanks. Got it at home now :-).
  8. compnut said:
    Thanks,
    Ultra Value Select 400 watt.
    $150.00 isn't really going to help you. Get a better PSU to protect your investment, and save up for a whole new system. make sure the PSU that you get is good enough to migrate to your new system.
  9. Like the guys already said, it's better to buy a new system.

You will not be able to play the games you listed.
    (you can however play cod1)

If youre thinking off making one last upgrade, you should change youre GPU.

I think this board is still using the AGP socket, so i'll suggest the following cards:

- 7600GT
    - X850XT

Don't buy any cards that are more expensive, because you can't use this parts for your next build.
  10. Number one, the power supply.
  11. Powersupplys dont run crysis, the fans do.
    Ok, most important, GPU, RAM, CPU,
  12. GPU hands down.
  13. starcraftfanatic said:
    Powersupplys dont run crysis, the fans do.

I don't mean to be rude, but I want to see someone try to run crysis without a PSU.
  14. Would an Antec Earthwatts 380 fall into the same as the Antec Power 2.0 (tier 3?) Is this PSU hindering my performance with an OC opty 165 (but stock voltage) and a stock 7900GT?
  15. aadamszc said:
    I don't mean to be rude, but I want to see someone try to run crysis without a PSU.

Thats what I was going to say. :lol: The stability of the PSU is very important if your overclocking or your gaming rig is playing a demanding game which is why most people experience crashes and lock-ups.
  16. starcraftfanatic said:
    Powersupplys dont run crysis, the fans do.

And what runs the CPU, GPU , RAM and the fans?
  17. The single most important part is..

believe it or not, it's actually the MOTHERBOARD. The motherboard (MB) determines which CPU, GPU, SATA/IDE, and memory you can use. A good MB is always upgradeable and gives you more options and paths. A bad MB may be OK at first, but will frustrate you later when you want to upgrade. Like memory, buy the best that you can afford and it will 'pay' for itself down the road. A 680i/ p-x38 is good now, but you might want to wait for the 780i, just to see what features it has.

BTW, there's no need to get overly anal about getting THE best PSU out there unless your really going for a real power-hog system. I push my systems pretty hard, and have yet to have ANY PSU fail me. Most PSU failures are due to improper installation and/or power overdraw, rather than faulty manufacturing or 'poor voltage' control. As a base rule:
    1. Base 350W for MB/CPU, 1 CD/DVD drive and 1 HDD.
    2. For each Video card, add 150 W each.
    3. For each additional CD/DVD drive or HDD, add 50W each.

So.. If you have a system with 2 CD burners, a 8800GPU, and 2 HDDs, you'd need (at least) a 600W PSU. If you want to run a CrossFire/SLi with the same system, you'd need at least a 750W PSU. Again this is merely a good starting point. Always make sure the PSU can supply the Amperage needed for the GPU's in paticular. And it never hurts to go 50-100W over your baseline requirements so you don't 'over-stress' your PSU.
  18. Isn't this guy wanting to make one final upgrade?
    Am i reading the posters question wrong?

It doesn't matter which part is the most important in a system.

He wants to change one part to get the most out off his current system!
  19. My last post in a duplicate thread:

PSU Tiers:
    http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiere [...] ngs?t=anon
    As you can see, Ultra is on "Do not buy" Tier-5. A recent comparative review on Jonnyguru rated an Ultra a distant last in a test of four <500W PSUs, with all kinds of problems (like being way out of spec, and very hot, although they didn't kill it).

PSU Calculator:
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com [...] orlite.jsp

In your place, I'd get something like this FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-PN ATX2.2 500W Power Supply - $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817104037

...which will be usable in a new build later, and something like this SAPPHIRE 100219L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 8X HDCP Ready Video Card - $113
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102711

...not a great card, but a huge step up from what you have.
    These will push it, but should creep under your budget ($150-$200 was given in the other thread).
  20. Thanks for the help guys. It looks as though I'll buy a GPU and perhaps a PSU also. Also thanks for the links. My PSU may be holding me up. Will my CPU bottle neck with cars up to 2600xt and 8600gt?
  21. Rripperr said:
    The single most important part is..
    BTW, there's no need to get overly anal about getting THE best PSU out there unless your really going for a real power-hog system. I push my systems pretty hard, and have yet to have ANY PSU fail me. Most PSU failures are due to improper installation and/or power overdraw, rather than faulty manufacturing or 'poor voltage' control. As a base rule:
    1. Base 350W for MB/CPU, 1 CD/DVD drive and 1 HDD.
    2. For each Video card, add 150 W each.
    3. For each additional CD/DVD drive or HDD, add 50W each.

This is truly an abysmal base rule. Optical drives and hard drives require around 5-25W each. 150-200W should be sufficient for a base load on a typical system. Video card load is highly variable depending on the card.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/12/six_graphics_cards_with_luxury_trimmings/page17.html#power_consumption_in_watts

Notice that the 2900XT crossfire system draws 471W at full load, and 2900XTs draw a lot more power than anything else on the market. Sure, you should include some headroom for future upgrades and safety, but your "base rule" is ridiculous.

jtt283: don't copy posts with links. To copy the post, quote yourself and copy the tags, as links are abbreviated.

And, since someone asked, the Antec EarthWatts is manufactured by Seasonic, who makes high quality power supply units. It is probably not lower than tier-3.
  22. compnut said:
    Will my CPU bottle neck with cars up to 2600xt and 8600gt?

its going to bottleneck when you get into the 7 series, let alone the 8 series or the 2xxx series. if you can afford it, you need a x1950gt and a new power supply would ensure crysis gaming but as has been stated, a 7600gt would probably suffice just fine for your system.

IMO, all things being equal, the most important component of your system is a good solid PSU. the questions being asked are misleading and all require different answers. The most important component for better gaming, for example, IMO is a GPU. The most important component so that my parents dont bitch that their computer is slow running minesweeper IMO is lots of RAM.

Good luck with your efforts to keep a dying breed alive.
  23. Not trying to come down on anyone, but no matter what vid card he throws in his system, I don't think he's going to run crysis.

Your computer is too old and everything needs replaced. Everything.

If you're looking to replace one part, the most performance you'll get is replacing your GPU with something like what was posted, x850 or 7600gt. Any card more powerful than that and you're just wasting money.

So buy a new cheap card, like the ones I've mentioned, or save your money and build a new system when you can afford to.

My 2 cents.
  24. "What is the most important part in a gaming computer?"

This is a hopeless goose chase. Which link in a chain is the most important?

You need to start with what you have, what you want to do, and what your budget is as you stated in your second post and buy the best parts available by those criteria.

Using the upper limit of $200 and selling your current system/parts (pull the 8500gt and sell seperately, I'm assuming your board has on board graphics?) on ebay for, say, $250 gives you a budget of $450.00 ...

On newegg...

FSP 500W $60
    e2140 $75
    2 gb ddr2-800 ~$40 after mail-in rebate
    Foxconn P9657AA-8KS2H or similar ~$50 after mail-in rebate
    open box 80gb wd sata hd $31
    dvd-rw $27
    case ~$20 after rebate (preference)
    8600gts or x1950pro ~$115 after rebate
    shipping ~$25

$443.00

w/ 200gb spinpoint p $457.00

+ operating system

Your going to be a little over but realistically this is the best I can do.
  25. milwsysbuilder said:
    "What is the most important part in a gaming computer?"

This is a hopeless goose chase. Which link in a chain is the most important?

You need to start with what you have, what you want to do, and what your budget is as you stated in your second post and buy the best parts available by those criteria.

Using the upper limit of $200 and selling your current system/parts (pull the 8500gt and sell seperately, I'm assuming your board has on board graphics?) on ebay for, say, $250 gives you a budget of $450.00 ...

On newegg...

FSP 500W $60
    e2140 $75
    2 gb ddr2-800 ~$40 after mail-in rebate
    Foxconn P9657AA-8KS2H or similar ~$50 after mail-in rebate
    open box 80gb wd sata hd $31
    dvd-rw $27
    case ~$20 after rebate (preference)
    8600gts or x1950pro ~$115 after rebate
    shipping ~$25

$443.00

w/ 200gb spinpoint p $457.00

+ operating system

Your going to be a little over but realistically this is the best I can do.

Thanks,

But, my board is an ATi Radeon 8500 64mb AGP slot card
  26. deuce271 said:
    Not trying to come down on anyone, but no matter what vid card he throws in his system, I don't think he's going to run crysis.

Your computer is too old and everything needs replaced. Everything.

If you're looking to replace one part, the most performance you'll get is replacing your GPU with something like what was posted, x850 or 7600gt. Any card more powerful than that and you're just wasting money.

So buy a new cheap card, like the ones I've mentioned, or save your money and build a new system when you can afford to.

My 2 cents.

I can't help but agree.
    There is not really anything left to salvage in that system.
    Any money spent will be down the drain.

$500 MAY get you a minimal system for playing some of those games.

Sell your old System for $150 on CraigsList and with the $150 you have now, you will need to raise another $200 someplace.

Seriously, don't try to upgrade - It's not worth it.
  27. Oh, duh 64meg ... OBV. integrated graphics.
  28. Hey guys... hate to point this out, but he's running AGP graphics, so he can count out the 8XXX or 2XXX series from nVidia and ATI, repsectively. I would suggest that you go with a 850xt 512mb like a previous poster suggested. Make sure that it's in the AGP form factor.
    Since you have integrated graphics, you'll have to find out whether or not you even have a video card slot. Take a look at the expansion slots. If there is a brown one, that's AGP. If it was PCI-E (which it most certainly WILL NOT BE with the age of your rig) it would be in about any other color besides white (although some MB manufacturers have thrown this whole color-coding out the window now). Anyway, if you're running AGP graphics (who knows what multiplier: 2x, 4x, or 8x), you'll need to get an AGP card.
    correction:
    I just looked up your board and it does indeed support 8x AGP graphics, so go ahead with that 850xt. It's the best bang for the buck and might revive some older titles for you. I wouldn't hold out hope for COD4 or to even touch some newer games (*cough* Crysis) because you just aren't going to have the muscle to get through it. Get the new video card, you'll see instant gains with your games and you'll be enjoying much better play.
  29. Here's a proper link to an AGP version of the HD2600XT that DJ says doesn't exist: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102711
    SAPPHIRE 100219L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 8X HDCP Ready Video Card
  30. The real anser is there is no real number #1 component, only good balance. Thats like asking whats the number #1 most important part of a sports car, good tires, powerful motor, and exccelent handling. The question that you have asked has no logic to it at all.
  31. The most essential part of the gaming computer is the graphics card, but you have to have the decent cpu to run it smooth. Motherboards and memory based on reviews don't have much influence in gaming but on overclocking it does, which is not cheap by the way. Supplying it with clean and stable power helps it runs smoother.
  32. OK Guys,

Who said anything about integrated graphics. I stated that I have an ATi Radeon 8500 graphics card @ 64mb AGP slot. I bought this card years ago for my first computer. It was a HP Pavilion with a Celeron 366mhz CPU. This rig I have now is my second computer. I built it my self and put my old video card in it. The PSU I have is an Ultra value Select 400w that came with my Ultra Fly Case. It has 20amps on the 12v rail. My MoBo is a Mach Speed Technologies Matrix P4M800 uATX 478 http://www.machspeed.com/specs/discontinued.htm#p4m800 478 slot with VIA chipset P4M800. I have a Celeron D 3.06ghz CPU and 1gig of Ultra PC3200 400MHz DDR memory installed on the board. I hope this helps with the answers.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Computer Socket Systems Product