Abit Quality

phecksel

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Please don't turn this into a bashing Abit thread.

I'm getting ready to rebuild my computer system. I have a four year old desktop unit that had a mechanical failure for an onboard fan. I was not prepared to upgrade the system, so I bought a cheap off brand board that would use my old P4, until i had the time and research to properly upgrade. Did some online research and kind of settled on the IP35 Pro. Went into a well equipped B&M store, who does sell Abit, and found a helpful and apparently knowlidgeable salesman. Salesman said even tho they carried the Abit products, they were beginning to get too many DOA's and he wouldn't recommend them. So, I ventured into a couple of different sites trying to compare Abit to gigabyte to Asus, and about the only thing I could come up with, most people like the board(s) with 3-5% experiencing board failures. In my own personal experience, my Abit board failed twice on this computer, and my wifes computer {also abit} had one failure, hence I'm beginning to wonder if the IP35 Pro is really my best choice.

Once in awhile, all the major board makers have some lemons. The abit IP35 is very popular; before purchasing, I suggest you decide if local support from your computer store is important. You'll pay more, but may get more help if you get a lemon. Ask the store manager what his return policy is; most online stores limit you to 30 days. I've sent in one motherboard directly to abit for replacement. It was xmas week, so alot of people were out. It took about 3 weeks to get a replacement.

You should RMA your IP35 or take it back to the store...maybe even buy it from somewhere else, maybe that store got a bad batch...newegg, tigerdirect, or zipzoomfly are good online options.

There's only 4 mobo makers that I consistently purchase from; Asus, aBit, Tyan, and Supermicro. I have never had any issues with any of these maker's boards and I would recommend them to anyone. Admitedly, I have not bought an aBit board (last one was a Skt478, P4, IC7-G) in about 2 years. aBit can be solely credited with being the first to implement the "overclockers BIOS", prior to oc'ing in the BIOS, all oc'ing was done with jumpers on the mobo itself...what fun that was. :sarcastic:

Abit was bought out by USI last year and all in all, I would say that aBit is still getting back into the game. Chances are your IP35 is a lemon. It happens. But all in all, I still say aBit makes a good quality product.

One thing I learned about aBit and Asus both is that you want to spend the extra few bucks on the "Pro" or "Deluxe" versions, aside from the extra features they "seem" to put more quality into the board overall.

If you don't want to deal with the IP35 anymore, check out the P5K series from Asus, heard some good things about them.

Another option may be to consider a different chipset like the X38 or the 680i.

Good luck!

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

I have always loved Abit and I just built a system for a friend with an IP35 Pro in it and the board runs great. I can confidently say that the board and the company are trust worthy. Atleast from my own, my companies, and my friends experiences over the past 8 years.

Best,

3Ball

Daredevil_8

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I've boughten 4 aBit motherboards (including the IP35 Pro), and one Gigabye (DS3R) and the only one that died was the gigabyte..the other four are running strong to this day.

I will continue to buy aBit motherboards as long as I still build my own computers, and would probably only stray to Asus or Gigabyte (even after a bad one).

But to give an answer to your topic: aBit is great, and all manufactures produce some DOA products. Don't let that deter you from at least trying the brand :)

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
IP35 Pro is fine & I don't think that abit's quality is better or worse than asus, Gigabyte, MSI etc.

Almost certainly the highest reason for returned mobos for any company isn't a faulty mobo but user errors - either using wrong supporting components or not settting up properly (RAM voltages etc.).

F34R1355

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
A little of topic perhaps, but has anyone else noticed an increase in board that need RMAs? I see a lot of posts were people say they had a board that was DOA or needed to be returned. Perhaps it is an issue more with the chip set and not the manufacturer? Same with the 680i and 570a. Could just be more people are making an attempt to build their own.
Anyways, in my opinion Abit is a great company. Tech support is good, not the best, but far from the worst.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006

actually a lot of the time its due to the shipper...I only use FedEx for Motherboards,Video cards and CPU...

UPS just isn't gentle when it comes to shipping.

as for abit on both my builds i have abit Mobo, AI7 which is still go to this day minus the Northbridge fan makes a high pitched wine so i unpluged it (heat is ok)

and the Abit IX38 QuadGT...which is getting flack due to the fact
A- It talked about Retaining Clips in the manual for fans for the Mofets that were included in the package.....not included.
B- No USB expansion slot thingy that most if not all Abit Mobos have come with...
C- Lack Luster Box Contents
* Four red SATA cables
* One black IDE cable
* One floppy cable
* Metal rear I/O panel
* Manuals, quick install guide and driver CD
thats it :\ was actually surprised at this 1

No word on if the amount of flack is warrant free stuff but its kinda like...mmkay.

stagepuppy

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
@FatFunkey:

You are aware that you can get a replace NB fan for free, with only the cost of shipping/handling left to the customer -- another little plus that abit provides.

as for my two cents for the thread... I've had the NF7-S, IC7-G, AB9 Pro, and IP35E, all without problems except the NB fan on the IC7-G. They're as solid as most of the other major manufacturers, not always the fastest, but decent value in my opinion. The last two boards run Folding@Home 24 hours a day at 3.2 and 3.4 GHz on E6400 and E6750 respectively so they don't exactly live a gentle life.