Sign in with
Your question

HDTV question urgent

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2007 2:24:13 PM

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&...

will this TV be good for computer gaming?

the sale ends tomorrow so I am in a rush

More about : hdtv question urgent

a b x TV
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2007 2:44:38 PM

I don't see any problems with it. It's 1080p (1920x1080) so resolution is good. 5ms response time (supposedly), so that shouldn't be an issue. The only thing I see is no DVI inputs (unless your graphics card has HDMI out) you'll need a DVI - HDMI conversion cable.

-Wolf sends
November 21, 2007 3:06:03 PM

It has a VGA input too. I would say that it is not a bad deal, but make sure to get some sort of extended warranty with it.
Related resources
November 21, 2007 3:29:37 PM

Yes, too bad it has only D-sub (analog) VGA input, and no DVI - it becomes therefore only a 'casual' computer monitor, and not a serious one :( 
But it does have HDMI input, which is the way of the future...
So if your vidcard has HDMI-out, you could just hook right up! (You wouldn't need an adaptor).
Or what; you can adapt DVI-out to HDMI-in? I don't think so...
It might work for PC display, but will not playback hi-def content from protected HDMI stream. You need HDMI-out vidcard for that.
Nice big screen though! Oblivion would be sweet @ 1920 x 1080,
Regards
November 21, 2007 3:44:01 PM

I live in canada too but why not go across the border on black friday and get a deal on one for $100's less?...if you live close to the border anyways.
November 21, 2007 4:09:33 PM

onestar said:
It has a VGA input too. I would say that it is not a bad deal, but make sure to get some sort of extended warranty with it.

??? LCD's are very reliable, I'm curious why you would recommend extended warranty. The set comes with two years and they are charging 319.99 and 369.99 for a total of 3 and 4 years respectively. Personally I would "almost" never buy an extended warranty. The only exception I've made in the past "forever" is my kid's 360.
November 21, 2007 4:47:10 PM

Would it make a nice monitor for a home theater pc? Yes, absolutely.

Would it make a nice monitor for gaming? Not the best choice but it can be made to work.

It is a TV and not a computer monitor. There are inherent differences between the two, like the fact that it has no DVI inputs. VGA inputs are nice but picture quality will be limited by it being an analog connection. Sure it has 3 HDMI inputs and with the right video card you can make a direct connection, but again that would be best for viewing HD content as opposed to high frame rates for gaming. You've got to remember that HDMI is a consumer electronics driven connection, not a PC driven connection. Don't get me wrong, that TV is no slouch, but technology between the consumer electronics market and the PC world has not reached full convergence, yet.

As long as all you expect to have is a big TV that acts like a computer monitor, and not the other way around, it is a good price for a nice product.

Good luck!
November 21, 2007 10:02:25 PM

you can convert DVI to HDMI i think HDMI is based on DVI just HDMI includes sound!
November 21, 2007 11:58:39 PM

rantarave said:
you can convert DVI to HDMI i think HDMI is based on DVI just HDMI includes sound!
Absolutely you can convert DVI to HDMI.

Give these wikis a read to, DVI and HMDI.

And, you can pick up an DVI to HDMI adapter/cable for anywhere from $6 to 25$.

Good luck!

November 27, 2007 10:12:50 PM

How would you get the sound to the tv if your doing a dvi/hdmi adapter?
!