Help Needed: DDR 3 TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX with QX9650 & MSI X38 Diamond.

Jamessussex

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Here are the exact specs of the new components I have bought and installed in my system:
MSI X38 Diamond X-Fi Intel X38 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX9650 "LGA775 Yorkfield" 3.00GHz (1333FSB)

2 x Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory CL9(9-9-9-24) DHX Heatsink TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX G (so I have 4 of these, so 4 gig in total)
(all brand new)

I’m getting load of problems, and am now totally stuck and in desperate need of help.

When I turn the computer on, it takes almost 12 minutes to actually start to boot and display anything on the screen. The motherboard has a LCD display, and it’s sits on DRAM. I have looked in the motherboard manual and it says when it displays DRAM “Memory is not detected or is found not to be operating properly” If I plug 1, 2,3 or all 4 sticks of Ram, and into different slots, it displays the same error. It even however displays the same error with NO Ram in the motherboard at all when I turn it on. Another thing I have noticed, if I take 3 other sticks of Ram out, it takes around 3 minutes until the computer displays any bios screen or anything, instead of the roughly 12 minutes with all 4 Ram sticks plugged in. When it does eventually boot, it works for a very short while (5-10min) and either just restarts (and takes the 12 minutes again to even start to boot/display anything on the screen) or blue screens with various different errors.
My PSU is a 650 WATT, and I’ve been using it for a year, and my graphics card is a 8800 ultra, which has been working fine for a month. I’ve formatted my HD and it’s a clean install of vista 32 bit. And I have also set the bios to defaults and optimal settings, but get the same result.
So the only thing I can think of is either I have totally plugged something in wrong somewhere along the line, or either the mother board, or ALL 4 sticks of my ram are faulty!!!??

Please help!!!…I would be eternally grateful :(

Muhad

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Seems like the mobo is trying to figure out how to interpret the memory modules. I really don't think all 4 sticks would be bad. Did you CLEAR the bios before setting it up again? Also are you sure you are setting up the bios correctly?

Go to the Corsair memory website, RamGuy or someone will help you out.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=128

Forgot to mention to check for newer mobo bios release.

Muhad

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
The manual should show you where the CMOS is and hopefully have a picture of it. Usually you 'shunt' it to clear it. Some newer mobos have resets.

You need to unplug the computer from the wall socket and remove the little battery on the mobo. Remember how the little battery fits. Then 'shunt' the CMOS for about a minute or so. Now 'unshunt' it and then insert the battery and plug the puppy back into the wall socket and boot to the bios. Defaulting the bios should work but, it's never perfect. Use as many 'auto' settings as possible.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS, DON'T DO IT.

Go to the Corsair memory website and verify your memory is of the correct type for your mobo. I think it is, but check anyway.

I assume that when you put this computer together that you re-installed Windows. If you just put in the disk from another computer there is no garantee it will boot up.

Jamessussex

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
okay, I understand all of that...but I'm not quite sure what you mean by, or how you, "'shunt' the CMOS" ?

thanks again

yerden

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Encountered similar problem while using same mobo and Asus 2x1Gb memory kit. Solved it by updating BIOS. AFAIK, now it performs flawlessly.