lamagra1913

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
All,

I dug out my old pc (i just started it up about 5 months ago). I plugged her in and the psu kicked on, my fans kicked on but no video input.

I have reconnected all of my connections. ATX power, Video (radeon 9700 pro) power, etc... I do have the green light on my mobo but, my vid card fan isnt spinning (it is old and could just not spin anymore). I took off my heatsink on my cpu and applied some compound and replaced my heatsink back on it. I get no beeps, bloops, or blops.

I tried having my sata hard drive plugged in and not.

Any ideas?

atreyu

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2005
Does the motherboard have an onboard graphics unit. If so try connecting your monitor to that.

You could also try to Reset the BIOS by removing and replacing the battery or using jumpers if available.

lamagra1913

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Yes it does have onboard graphics and no nothing was displayed from that as well.

I tried to reset my cmos.

I will try and remove and replace the battery later.

Any other suggestions?

take it all apart and put it back together cleaning everything good...

Clean metal contacts like those on ram and cards with a clean(pencil lead[graphite] conducts) eraser....over time there is(or may be) a small amount of oxidization that can occur on the metal contacts....

lamagra1913

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Sounds good I will try it.

I did just reseat my cpu and heatsink so I will move on from there.

What would happen if I fried my cpu?

It shouldnt be my vid card but I cannot tell if it is getting power to it or not. My fan isnt spinning but, it is could just not work.

I am next to positive that there should power getting to it because I have tried daisy chaining it to an led light and it lights up..

Any other possible ideas?

atreyu

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2005
When you tried the onboard graphics solution was the VGA card still plugged in.. Can you try the onboard VGA after removing the Display card, just in case the Display Card is creating the problem