Your question

Why is 8800gt better than 3870??

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2007 6:39:03 PM

why is it that the 8800gt better than 3870 the specs say other wise and the 3870 seems that it should be better can someone explain why. compare the specs and see what i notcied what did ati do wrong

More about : 8800gt 3870

November 21, 2007 6:53:52 PM

It's not about specs. The 8800 GT is a bit faster, plain and simple.

On the other hand, the 3870 is a bit cheaper. Therefore, both cards supply good performance per dollar.
November 21, 2007 6:58:06 PM

that gay wat u talking bout specs dont matter what makes the 8800gt better thats not in the specs
Related resources
November 21, 2007 6:59:49 PM

Magic.

In all seriousness though, I don't actually know. The clocks and whatnot are all higher, but the cards seems to perform less.
November 21, 2007 7:17:18 PM

Try reading some indepth reviews about the architecture of both the gpu's. As cleeve said the specs mean nothing. And if you really look closely at the specs you will see why the 8800gt is faster.
November 21, 2007 7:26:36 PM

Architecture of the 8800gt is different than the HD3870.

November 21, 2007 7:43:28 PM

The "specs" that you might see on Newegg don't really mean anything when comparing two different architectures. I won't even try to explain it, but if you are interested I would suggest doing some research on GPU architectures starting with this.
November 21, 2007 7:43:31 PM

I don't believe this at all....

Every person refers to one benchmark which shows the GT winning, while I have seen numerous benchmarks of the 3870 winning.

I have heard plenty of complaints about the GT running hot, being noisy, and so forth... none from the 3870.

So how can you tell me that the GT is better? I guess it depends what YOU define as "better". I don't consider a hotter, noisier, 20% more expensive, slightly faster in some cases card better than the 3870.

Plus, there are new drivers coming out for the ATI, so who knows, it might get faster.
November 21, 2007 7:57:13 PM

Then go buy your ATI.

There are plenty of reviews of MANY MANY websites comparing the performance in many different categories and their power usage.

If you choose to believe every review site in the World is part of the Conspiracy, you are free to beleive that.

And yes, the ATI card is cheaper and if the cost savings in addition to the benchmarks for the game(s) you will be playing indicate that the ATI is the choice for you, then great.
November 21, 2007 8:02:52 PM

mcidfta200 said:

Every person refers to one benchmark which shows the GT winning, while I have seen numerous benchmarks of the 3870 winning.

Link to these numerous benchmarks please.
November 21, 2007 8:04:13 PM

mcidfta200 said:
I don't believe this at all....
Why don't you post links or pics of these "numerous" benchmarks you speak of?

mcidfta200 said:
I have heard plenty of complaints about the GT running hot, being noisy, and so forth... none from the 3870.
I'm sure this is true. The reason the GT is hotter and noisier is because it is a single slot solution hence it has a smaller heatsink and fan. The 3870 is a huge dual slot card so it has room for a much larger heatsink and fan. You make a good point but if you need a single slot solution the GT is the only way to go.

Quote:

Plus, there are new drivers coming out for the ATI, so who knows, it might get faster.
Perhaps yes perhaps no. Nvidia can also come out with new drivers. Ever heard the saying that "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?
November 21, 2007 8:39:55 PM

sketchy69 said:
why is it that the 8800gt better than 3870 the specs say other wise and the 3870 seems that it should be better can someone explain why. compare the specs and see what i notcied what did ati do wrong

Nvidia sacrifices image quality for fps, that's why the fan boys prefer them. Ati has always made a video for what it's supposed to do, provide excellent graphics and render it properly. Where as Nvidia's marketing strategy has always designed the video card to run faster to win over the consumers. If if fails to run faster than the competition then Nvidia will tweak their drivers sacrificing even more image quality for those precious fps.
November 21, 2007 8:47:31 PM

ethel said:
Link to these numerous benchmarks please.

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/grafikkarte...

Keep in mind I'm not making a bogus statement that the 3870 is better overall, I'm simply saying that (if it's not enough to see that it's pretty damn close to all the GT benchies, it actually does better at a few.)

Anyways, even if it was considered however many (looking at more reviews coming out, it's definitely not 18%) % slower ... It seems more reasonable for 100$ less.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2007 8:51:57 PM

mcidfta200 said:
So how can you tell me that the GT is better? I guess it depends what YOU define as "better". I don't consider a hotter, noisier, 20% more expensive, slightly faster in some cases card better than the 3870.
Noise?? Lower!

Power? LOWER! (except at idle)

Temps: (from THG review) 8800GT is almost identical load temps, runs cooler at idle.
"Temperature-wise, the RV670 of the HD 3870 displays 158°F (70°C) when idle and climbs up to 197.6°F (92°C) in peak. In absolute, those are elevated values, but they are often seen on graphic cards that traditionally have a much higher tolerance than CPUs. Therefore, these values don't surprise us."
November 21, 2007 9:08:30 PM

sketchy69 said:

The facts lay in the part where you have no idea what the specs mean, not in whether or not the specs are higher.
November 21, 2007 9:39:54 PM

Scaj said:
Nvidia sacrifices image quality for fps, that's why the fan boys prefer them. Ati has always made a video for what it's supposed to do, provide excellent graphics and render it properly. Where as Nvidia's marketing strategy has always designed the video card to run faster to win over the consumers. If if fails to run faster than the competition then Nvidia will tweak their drivers sacrificing even more image quality for those precious fps.

Nvidia has done this in the past but I don't think that image quality is a problem these days. If you have proof of what you say please post links/pic/whatever.
November 21, 2007 11:15:30 PM

I think that the shader clocks make a lot of difference, since ati´s shaders are at the same clock as the core (775 mhz) and the shaders of the 8800 gt run at 1500 mhz - so imagine a hd 3870 with 320 stream processors running at 1.5 ghz, it would be a monster card... :o 
November 21, 2007 11:27:57 PM

sseerrggiioo said:
I think that the shader clocks make a lot of difference, since ati´s shaders are at the same clock as the core (775 mhz) and the shaders of the 8800 gt run at 1500 mhz - so imagine a hd 3870 with 320 stream processors running at 1.5 ghz, it would be a monster card... :o 
Is this true (I honestly don't know, just asking)? Or is it just 2 ways of reporting a similar speed (like ddr)?

Example:

PC 3200 runs at 200MHz but is often called 400MHz or perhaps 400MHz effective.
November 22, 2007 12:06:43 AM

The much higher shader clocks of the 8800s help, as does the fact that they have more ROPs(Render Output Unit) then the 3870s do is a vital factor in the reason the 8800s are faster.
November 22, 2007 12:59:59 AM

NVIDIA = Yes maybe faster here but less capable there ..... that's nvidia ... older design ... yes .... future advancement capable no ..... lousey fan and shroud ...yes .... already running HOT under heavy load ... Yes ... 50% more expesive .... yes .... better video quality ... no --- there's alot more to benchmarks showing best for the buck and swaying buyer points ... wait until all tests on common setups are performed at usual settings for most systems .... and advanced drivers are put out before flaming a card . At least ATI did'nt produce an older generation card that runs hot and charge almost 50 % more than it should be for it ! And don't let some of these yo-yo's tell you the game developers won't be using dx10.1 attributes in their games soon .... that old " Joe Blow at Suckem Corp. " said they won't .... is crap . I was a 85 % Nvidia owner ... I'm not an ATI fanboy but I'll be DAM*ED if I'll pay nvidia $270.00 for a dx10 only card that's going to have heat problems which no new set of drivers can fix ! And that lousey program overdriving the speed on an inferior fan will cause it to fail quickly .... voiding any warranty ..... plus why does nvidia have to overclock to the max to get these results from the factory ? The 3870's are not and can be and then what can they do ?

Added bit from teaktown .... " While the card is warm it's not as bad as the 8800GT. That extra 5c really seems to make a difference when you place your hand around the card. "
November 22, 2007 1:05:32 AM

I will not get the 8800gt, even if a little faster.
The 8800gt will be faster, for a few months.
However, once games start using DX10.1 and Tessellation, the HD 3800s will rocket past. (Even the 2600 will blow away a 8800GTX in a Tessellation benchmark)
No proof, but if this is like introduction of the T&L vs DX6 cards, then the 3800s will be a whole lot faster in complex high polygon scenes (like the mountain Ruby scene)
This can be proven when a Tessellation benchmark comes out. I wish ATI will release one. Surprised they didn't. I think nVidia is working really hard to prevent DX10.1 benchmarks from being released.
Experts, please slam if this is totally wrong.
November 22, 2007 1:13:52 AM

folks but the thing is that the HD3800 versions are faster in MHz
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 1:16:08 AM

Why is the 2900XT slower than the 8800GTX? (rhetorical) It's specs are crazy. 512-bit memory bus wow! Yet it just plain stinks for the price, the 3870 beats it often, and is alot cheaper. Big numbers sell. In australia, the 8800GT is actually <= the price of the 3870, so the decision is a harder one. But neither card surpasses my x1950 pro enough to upgrade it.
November 22, 2007 1:24:57 AM

enewmen said:

However, once games start using DX10.1 and Tessellation, the HD 3800s will rocket past. (Even the 2600 will blow away a 8800GTX in a Tessellation benchmark)

Considering many, including makers of Crysis, have no future plans to implement DX10.1 anytime soon and considering DX10.1 is a minor update... your hypothesis is deeply flawed.

NVidia image quality argument? Old school and invalid for a while. Just post a link if you think.

Hotter? A bit. But that argument is grasping straws - a bit desperate in my opinion. It does not change the fact that 3870 is slower and only priced accordingly because 8800 GT exist. I doubt The $220 range was AMD's original pricing plan. I bet it was around $350.

FAce it, 3870 is just there to give people a cheaper 8800GT alternative. That is AMD's best card while NVidia got another coming in December.

a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 1:26:06 AM

boner said:
folks but the thing is that the HD3800 versions are faster in MHz
Here is a Mhz comparison between a 3724Mhz Pentium 4 EE Prescott and a 1800Mhz Pentium Conroe L E2160.
THG CPU Charts Mhz is just Mhz. Faster isnt always BETTER

November 22, 2007 1:33:44 AM

randomizer said:
Why is the 2900XT slower than the 8800GTX? It's specs are crazy. 512-bit memory bus wow!

I honestly can't answer this other than to say that the 8800 architecture is more efficient and more well balanced. There have been some great articles written on this by people that know far more than I do. Try googling R600 stream processors or something like that. Also, check out the Anandtech review I linked up above.
randomizer said:
But neither card surpasses my x1950 pro enough to upgrade it.

You might want to do a doube-take on those reviews. Both the HD3870 and especially the 8800gt put a serious spanking on the x1950PRO.
November 22, 2007 1:36:44 AM

The fanboy-ism is just insane. I mean, there is such fierce loyalty to a certain brand name.

If you are a fanboy, you will find something better about your product and boast that while downplaying the disadvantages.

Gar.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 1:41:59 AM

homerdog said:
I honestly can't answer this other than to say that the 8800 architecture is more efficient and more well balanced. There have been some great articles written on this by people that know far more than I do. Try googling R600 stream processors or something like that. Also, check out the Anandtech review I linked up above.

You might want to do a doube-take on those reviews. Both the HD3870 and especially the 8800gt put a serious spanking on the x1950PRO.

It was a rhetorical question about the 2900XT vs 8800GTX ;) . I was emphasising the point that specs don't mean alot.

Thing is, the HD3870 and 8800GT are so expensive, they just don't justify the performance improvement. If they were $200-250, that would be ok I guess, but 300+? No thanks, I'll keep my card.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 1:48:03 AM

Yes - Lower! Maybe tweaktown tested at 100% fan speed?
What are the 8800GT owners saying?
talaash said:
Not a big issue for those of you with your eyes nearly out of their sockets :)  .

I bought an 8800GT just the other day and it ran totally silent, so I was a little surprised considering the reviews showed it to be around 43DB. Then someone on another site mentioned that the fan idles at 29% no matter what, which is bad for temps off course. I ran ntuner and nvtemplogger and found it to be true.

For those with hot running 8800GTs until there is a BIOS update to fix the Auto fan speed stuck @ 29% all they need to do is set the fan speed manually to about 45% to get a good balance between cooling and fan noise.

About the same running that, 77C with fan at stock (29%).

Bumping up the fan to 40-45% does make a quite a difference, and
isn't too much louder - I have to mute audio and listen closely to hear
the difference actually, something I'd never hear with loud games
running...
said:

About the same running that, 77C with fan at stock (29%).

Bumping up the fan to 40-45% does make a quite a difference, and
isn't too much louder - I have to mute audio and listen closely to hear
the difference actually, something I'd never hear with loud games
running...

a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 1:58:32 AM

Why not just alter the BIOS yourself? I mean, it's only one step harder than doing a simple BIOS update.
November 22, 2007 2:20:21 AM

The 8800GT has more ROPs and TMUs, and a more efficient shader architecture.
November 22, 2007 2:56:18 AM

WR2 said:
Yes - Lower! Maybe tweaktown tested at 100% fan speed?
What are the 8800GT owners saying?

I don't really care, I'm just trying to make a point that both sides are stating their's is better so you can't convince anyone otherwise (unless they are a fanatic for the brand)...

I can however prove that the 3870 is cheaper at the moment.

Equal in battle and lower price? (And let's not forget it has some more perks) That for me makes it a better buy.

IF I see a 8800gt for 220$.... I would be GLAD to consider it against the 3870, but that is not the case at the moment.
260$ on wait, and 300+$ for instant buy is not a reasonable price at all.
November 22, 2007 3:36:33 AM

Power Consumption

ATI uses 55nm fab process technology while 8800GT uses 65nm fab process technology so ATI should have the least power consumption. Most reviews shows ATI has the least power consumption except on Tom's. I have seen four reviews already and they both have the same output.

The move to smaller chip sizes means several things, including cheaper chips, lower power consumption, and less heat production.

Reference for power consumption
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13603/9

Previous video card driver improves ATI cards up to 70% performance thats tweaking update.
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13369

DirectX 10.1 soon to be released with ATI features unleashed. Because some new features of 3800 card is not currently in use of the current software.

About the performance

4.x FPS away is just few leaps. Overclocking can take that. Look 8800GT vs 3870.

well buy ATI 3850 $179 or ATI 3870 $220 or 8800GT $300 (price/performance not worth it) prices at newegg
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 3:44:05 AM

mcidfta200 said:
I can however prove that the 3870 is cheaper at the moment.

I can prove that the 3870 is almost equal in price (about $10 less).
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 4:05:53 AM

enewmen said:
I will not get the 8800gt, even if a little faster.
The 8800gt will be faster, for a few months.

This is a very very flawed concept. I've told this already to some of the DX10.1 fanbois that I have encountered.
Remember the case of DX90.b and DX9.0c? Remember getting a 6800gs, or even an X800? Both were at least DX9.0b compliant. But how long did games actually had the minimum spec inidicating a DX 9.0b card? A long time, long enough that the GeForce 7 and X1000 series came out and they just blew past the 6 and the plain X series.

This is what would happen again, by the time that games actually start supporting DX10.1 there would probably 1 or 2 more generations of new cards that would blow past the 3870. Hell, even DX10 games are barely out of the gate, how more 10.1? How many got a 10.1 card? What insane game developer would create a feature for a card that the majority doesn't have?

Also how in hell's name would a 2600 blow away an 8800GTX in Tesselation when in fact the 2600 isn't even DX10.1. Even if it did, in terms of raw power the 2600 is like a DTM Race Car is to a Rocket Drag Car. The Rocket Drag Car may not be the most technically advanced, but it has raw power, however advanced the DTM Race Car is. I guess this is a possiblity only being that the 2600 could run the Tesselation benchmark @ 1 fps while the 8800gtx wouldn't run the benchmark due to compatibility.

I only like the 3870 because of the price. If it'd be price a bit more lower i'd get. Though I would jump at an 8800gt should money fall at my lap from teh heavens.
November 22, 2007 4:32:08 AM

amnotanoobie said:

This is what would happen again, by the time that games actually start supporting DX10.1 there would probably 1 or 2 more generations of new cards that would blow past the 3870. Hell, even DX10 games are barely out of the gate, how more 10.1? How many got a 10.1 card? What insane game developer would create a feature for a card that the majority doesn't have?

Thats a common myth, games doesnt have to be specifically written for DX10.1, any current DX10 game can be patched to DX10.1.

BTW, "insane" game devs made DX10 games when only fraction of the market had such cards, same can be told about Ageia Physics and loads of other features. The issue is not current market penetration, but convincing developers that such feature is very handy and easily introduced. Both of those applies to Tesselation - it makes graphics look way better at very little impact on cards performance, algorithm is quite simple so easily coded.

amnotanoobie said:

Also how in hell's name would a 2600 blow away an 8800GTX in Tesselation when in fact the 2600 isn't even DX10.1. Even if it did, in terms of raw power the 2600 is like a DTM Race Car is to a Rocket Drag Car. The Rocket Drag Car may not be the most technically advanced, but it has raw power, however advanced the DTM Race Car is. I guess this is a possiblity only being that the 2600 could run the Tesselation benchmark @ 1 fps while the 8800gtx wouldn't run the benchmark due to compatibility.

2600 could blow any nVidia card in Tesselation simply because none of the 8xxx series has such feature, while all ATI DX10 cards have it. There is other problem though - tesselation isnt a part of DX10.1, so "rogue" feature is less likely being implemented by game devs :??: 
November 22, 2007 4:57:35 AM

randomizer said:
It was a rhetorical question about the 2900XT vs 8800GTX ;) . I was emphasising the point that specs don't mean alot.

Doh! I should have noticed your 2,500+ posts before I posted. Still, with all the crazy OMG 3870 has 775MHz111 crap going on in this thread I felt it necessary to try and be the voice of reason.
randomizer said:
Thing is, the HD3870 and 8800GT are so expensive, they just don't justify the performance improvement. If they were $200-250, that would be ok I guess, but 300+? No thanks, I'll keep my card.

No doubt the x1950PRO is a great card, but the HD3870 is too considering the price. Newegg had some in stock today for $219. I don't care if you upgrade, I'm just saying :whistle: 
November 22, 2007 5:05:22 AM

randomizer said:
I can prove that the 3870 is almost equal in price (about $10 less).

Ok, show me a GT for 230$ then, which will show up in stock within the next week.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 5:10:47 AM

pogsnet said:
Power Consumption
http://techreport.com/r.x/radeon-hd-3800/power-idle.gif
http://techreport.com/r.x/radeon-hd-3800/power-load.gif

ATI uses 55nm fab process technology while 8800GT uses 65nm fab process technology so ATI should have the least power consumption. Most reviews shows ATI has the least power consumption except on Tom's. I have seen four reviews already and they both have the same output.
THG isnt standing alone on the power issue. All these other reviews had 3870 load power higher than 8800GT.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxOSw4...
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=11
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2219910,00.a...
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_rv670_performance_p...
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1222/18/page_18_power_...

I did see techreport measured noise levels too. Really a lot different that a previous tweaktown review.

November 22, 2007 5:25:37 AM

@WR2, majority of 8800GTs on the market has louder cooler than 3870, thats a fact. Wast majority of sources confirm that, except few, since its possible some manufacturers made more silent versions. Or they just didnt tested it properly, like in the pic above - did 9 cards have the same noise? BS :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 5:26:11 AM

mcidfta200 said:
Ok, show me a GT for 230$ then, which will show up in stock within the next week.

Diamond ATI Radeon HD 3870 512MB DDR4 PCI-E 2.0 W/-DVI/HDTV/VIVO (White box) (NO STOCK - Estimate arrival on 11/23/2007). $259.99
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA72372

He probably only needs to find a $270 8800GT to make his point.

edit; He may only need to find a $300 8800GT to make his point.
HIS H387F512 Radeon HD 3870 512MB $289.99
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
November 22, 2007 5:40:27 AM

Yeah, that 8800GT without fan/heatsink...lol
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 5:41:13 AM

mcidfta200 said:

randomizer is an ozzy, where evidently the ATI products are overpriced. Its the shaders and the ROPs, both of which will be fixed in 700 series, I expect it to really be everything the 600 series was sposed to be. The power leakage issue is dealt with in the 3870, thus the lower temps and noise. Even tho the 29xx and the 38xx can do more complex shaders, the code has to be perfect for better performance, using all 320. Thats why some games show better than others in fps. This too will be changed with the 700 series. The shader clock is locked as was stated earlier, on the ATI cards, whereas not so on the nVidia cards, where theyre double the rate, thus rendering (pun intended) the 320 from ATI ineffectual, going at twice the rate, with what you may call a quicker read/write as well. Ive got my 1900xt and my 8800gts, and I will wait til 700 series from ATI, and hope it wont take forever like the 600, and make sure these things WILL be fixed, if so, nVidia will have a problem
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 5:53:17 AM

Showing in stock @ ClubIt Evga OC and XFX 8800GTs at $295.99 and $289.99
$289.99 - same price as the HIS H387F512 Radeon HD 3870 @ Zipzoomfly

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA96028...
http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA96068...
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 6:00:38 AM

Harrisson said:
@WR2, majority of 8800GTs on the market has louder cooler than 3870, thats a fact. Wast majority of sources confirm that, except few, since its possible some manufacturers made more silent versions. Or they just didnt tested it properly, like in the pic above - did 9 cards have the same noise? BS :) 
Lets just hope the rest of the techreport testing wasn't as wrong as you think that noise level test result turned out to be - according the vast majority of sources.

November 22, 2007 6:37:43 AM

WR2 said:
Lets just hope the rest of the techreport testing wasn't as wrong as you think that noise level test result turned out to be - according the vast majority of sources.

It seems you dont care about truth, just making wrong statements, like 8800GT noise is lower than 3870? Thats blatant lying if you generalize like this. It may be truth in very few selected cases, but its not how it is generaly, its like saying "3870 is faster than 8800Ultra!", same BS, since I can find few tests where it happens, but since its not common case, its not very wise to generalize like this.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 7:47:30 AM

Harrisson said:
Thats a common myth, games doesnt have to be specifically written for DX10.1, any current DX10 game can be patched to DX10.1.

BTW, "insane" game devs made DX10 games when only fraction of the market had such cards, same can be told about Ageia Physics and loads of other features. The issue is not current market penetration, but convincing developers that such feature is very handy and easily introduced. Both of those applies to Tesselation - it makes graphics look way better at very little impact on cards performance, algorithm is quite simple so easily coded. said:
BTW, "insane" game devs made DX10 games when only fraction of the market had such cards, same can be told about Ageia Physics and loads of other features. The issue is not current market penetration, but convincing developers that such feature is very handy and easily introduced. Both of those applies to Tesselation - it makes graphics look way better at very little impact on cards performance, algorithm is quite simple so easily coded.

But the DX10 games are still made to work on DX9c. These games still don't require a minimum of DX10. Users were just given the option to activate DX10 additional effects.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Based on the # of Steam users with DX10 cards, 58k+ is not a bad number considering that these are only the ones that connect and buy to Steam.

The issue would not be convincing developers that a thing is beneficial for their work. Believe me if a technology or technique is proven to be beneficial then every developer would utilize that. But let's say you do implement Tesselation, who would be actually be able to use that? Money is what keeps a company alive, and you need to think of what's plenty out there. As of now if someone did release a Tesselation enabled game, then it'd serve as a tech demo rather than a game.

...I'm actually just waiting now for Ageia to die out.

2600 could blow any nVidia card in Tesselation simply because none of the 8xxx series has such feature said:
2600 could blow any nVidia card in Tesselation simply because none of the 8xxx series has such feature

I couldn't call it "blowing away" the 8800GTX. "Blowing away" competition is a very different thing from being able to run the actual benchmark. This would be like comparing the test results of a DX8.1 card with a DX9.0 in a PixelShader 2.0 benchmark. A totally moot point.
November 22, 2007 9:00:58 AM

Well here are some benchmark numbers from my sons system. It is a DFI Expert MoBo with a Opty 185 @2.6ghz, 2gig DDR Ram, and Silverstone 600w PSU.

All benchmarks are at default and all GPU's are stock.

3dMark05 Scores
1ea EVGA 8800GT Superclocked=14265
2ea EVGA 8800GT Superclocked SLI=14408
1ea Sapphire HD3870=14129
1ea EVGA 7900GTX=10946
2ea EVGA 7800GTX in SLI 450/600=12753

I don't know why the 8800GT SLI setup was crap. I tried each card in each slot, last 3 drivers, and in another like system. Only thing I can think of is CPU Bottleneck.

I was more impressed with the HD3870. My Gigabyte board is sitting at Gigabyte waiting to have the BIOS flashed. They told me 2-3 weeks. Can't wait to compare 2ea HD3870 to my 2900Pro's.
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest
!