Need e2160 overclocking guide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Heyas, anyone out there know of a comprehensive intel e2160 overclocking guide? I'm planning to atleast run it at 3.0ghz with stock cooler, which I don't think would be too hard on the chip considering I've heard people easily overclock it to 3.4ghz stable.

I plan on using the Gigabyte p35 ds3L. Will this be sufficient for a stable 3.0 overclock? Also, this looks like the best MOBO for my budget and needs, any other recommendations?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
zeruin, please refer to the following Sticky: HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.3 - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Understand that there are no CPU's 100% identical. Every silicon semiconductor nano-circuit is unique, and has different basic properties of electronics such as resistance, capacitance, inductance, impedance, and transconductance, and there are nearly 292 million transistors in a C2D. Although two consecutive serial number CPU's from the same fabrication, with the same stepping may appear identical, they're yielded from different location on the silicon wafer from which they're manufactured, and like diamonds, each has it's own unique flaws.

Even though their dynamic operational characteristics may be very similar, no two CPU's will overclock to exactly the same stable maximum speed, at the same voltage, at the same temperature. Additionally, in a dual core processor, one core will always become unstable before the other. Successful overclocking is achieved through small increments, and requires a methodical approach, and a great deal of time and patience.

Regardless of effort, there are never any gaurantees; we can only say what is typical. Your particular E2160 simply may not have "clean" enough silicon to reach even 3.0Ghz before high Vcore pushes temperatures above safe levels on the scale. There's no way to predict an overclock until you try it. That's just the luck of the overclocking draw.

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Good Luck,

Comp :sol:

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Basically all you got to do is change your FSB higher to you desired speed x multilplier which is 9x i think on 2160. Make sure to set your PCI speed to 100 and play with vcore to get it as low as possible and stable.

G

Hey guys, There is no risk of overclocking Intel Dual Core E2160 1.8GHz@667MHz upto 3.0 GHz @1333MHz. The temperature will only increase 10-15C. I have overclocked the same CPU just today. There is no problem at all. Just go to BIOS pressing "Delete" key at startup. Go to "Frequency & Voltage Control" or something like that. Change the "CPU BSEL Select" from "auto" to 1333 Mhz or Higher. Save & Exit Setup. You can try Lower Frequencies also if u have problem. It worked on my motherboard "Mercury PNMCP73V" hope it will also work on yours.

*** BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD CPU FAN WHICH CAN RUN AT LEAST 3500RPM. :sol:

Status
Not open for further replies.