How to change your c frive to the d drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
You can also set which drive the swap file is located on. It does NOT have to be your system drive. This can free up quite a bit of space.

Right click My Computer, them Properties > Advanced > in the performance category click Settings > Advanced > in the virtual memory category click Change. Click the desired drive, if changing size limitations click Set, then OK.

Reboot. You may need to delete pagefile.sys from its original location. This is almost always a good way to free up space on the System drive.

Matan Eldan

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
You can't move installed program folder to other drive (you'll need to reinstall the program on the other drive)

Though the easiest method to free space from Hard Drive, is to move "big" files (like movies, music, software installations etc)

You can also perform system cleanup (which delete temporary files for example)

You can move the entire My Documents folder by right clicking it, selecting Move and pointing to wherever you wish to put it.

georgejabr

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Hi

System restore occupied a big space in your PC each time you install or remove programs. Try to clear the oldest.

Right click drive c>properties>Disk Cleanup>more options tab>hit clean up of sytem restore. then click Ok to close all windows. Refresh and check the new free space of drive c.

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
You can also set which drive the swap file is located on. It does NOT have to be your system drive. This can free up quite a bit of space.

Right click My Computer, them Properties > Advanced > in the performance category click Settings > Advanced > in the virtual memory category click Change. Click the desired drive, if changing size limitations click Set, then OK.

Reboot. You may need to delete pagefile.sys from its original location. This is almost always a good way to free up space on the System drive.

Solution

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Just wanted to clarify that you also have to uninstall on the current drive. It's better to use the uninstall than just delete it from program files, because using the uninstall should also remove anything it dumped in the system directory.

Also, you can turn off hibernation. Right click on desktop > Properties > Screen Saver > Power button. Hibernation, along with the swap file, were taking up 2 GB on my cramped XP drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.