Computer will not boot ***HELP***

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Can anyone help or give me any tips on what I can do. Here is the issue...

Came home and was ready to work on my PC and went and saw it was turned off, of course thought maybe a power issue but nothing like that happen. Well I went to turn it on and I began to hear a clicking sound (about 3 or 4) then finally it just had a loud series of beeps and just stopped.

Issue is I have no video showing up (may or may not be related) so I can't even see what could be going on with this. Went through the usual troubleshooting and was able to figure out that the problem lies with the 4 prong power connector to the motherboard (ATX connector??) Well I unplugged that and I did not get the clicking or the beeping but I still got nothing else. No keyboard lights on, still no monitor...

A few questions:

1) How important is that connector and would that cause issues to not get enough power to the keyboard or any other items
2) Do I need to replace the video card as I am not getting NOTHING on the screen (orange light and monitor is fine)
3) Am I SOL and the power supply and/or motherboard is gone and I gotta replace it.

A few other specs...this is a home built PC with a DFI Motherboard (I believed the LAN Party) and an SLI video card. Any help would be AWESOME. TIA.

I would remove the drives one by one and any cards until you have just the video, cpu/heatsink, and memory. But the usual suspect is the power supply. It's one of the easiest and cheapest parts you can replace. I would upgrade to a better brand if needed. I use antec. Fortron, enermax, seasonic, corsair, and pc power and cooling are also good. Even if the board turns out to be bad, it's always good to have a spare ps.

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
They are SATA drives if that matters. Here is what I did (and what I think maybe the problem)

Pulled both memory sticks, pulled the video card, unplugged both SATA drives (did still have the CD-ROM connected though).

My question is this...I am pretty sure the issue is related to the video card based on the other issues I had in the past with it. If you have a bad video card is that the same as no video card and therefore it would nto work?

finally it just had a loud series of beeps and just stopped.

This was an error code. The number of beeps tells you what is failing. Likely to be either RAM or video card.

Went through the usual troubleshooting and was able to figure out that the problem lies with the 4 prong power connector to the motherboard (ATX connector??)

hmmm, sounds like the system simply refused to try to start seeing that the 4 pin plug was out. That connector is an absolute must for most modern systems. Some older ones would start without it however.

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
It was the video card. After reboot and listening I got the long beep and two or three short beeps. Just popped in another card and it was up and running like new.