Please Help PC is restarting during Bootup

SPSUviper

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Hi all,

This is my last ditch effort to figure out what my computer is doing. About 3 weeks ago my computer started rebooting right after the windows logo shows on the screen, the screen goes black like it's about to go the the log-in screen then it reboots. After that reboot it goes to safe mode. From there I can start in Safe mode then after restarting from safe mode it would boot fine and stay on until I turn it off.

Just this morning though I went through all the above steps and it would still not boot to the log-in screen. Some times it wouldn't even make it second boot screen (the one where it asks to boot from CD). It is completely inconsistent and I can't pin point it to anything. The strangest thing is last night I would restart it fine as many times as I wanted to. that was after it had been running for a while.

I did a memtest last week and it went to 300% with no errors. Any then you all can suggest would be a huge help. I'm going to put my harddrive in my roommates computer in a minute and make sure it's not a windows thing.

Here are some specs on the computer.

Windows XP Pro
2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Gigabyte k8n-SLI mobo
2GB DDR
500W PS that came with the case
(2) XFX Nvidia Geforce 7600 in SLI

Thanks for the help!

SPSUviper

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
The PSU is as follows.

Max power output 430-460W
+3.3 & +5v max output is 140W with Max 20A & 25A respectively.
+12v1 & +12v2 max output is 150W with max 10A and 8 A respectively. It is made by MGE company.

Also my video cards are 6800's. I tried to remember them from memory but just checked everything.

I also tried my harddrive in my buddies computer and it booted fine several times. so I'm thinking hardware....

MGE is on Tier-5 ("Do not buy") of the list at http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon.
Particularly as it came with your case, it is probably a cheap sparker that is on its way out. Hopefully it won't haul any other parts of your PC with it.
A quality 400W-500W unit from Tier-3 or better would make a good replacement. FSP makes some at the lower end of the price range (e.g. $58) that would be good.