ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hey,

I really have a small understanding of how hard drive specs are maintained. Why does everyone rave about the speed of the new velociraptors?? I don't understand where the difference is. The average seek times are better, but not by much. I really need to know if the purchase is worth the money. Right now I have a 7200.10 barracuda, windows loads in about 1 minute, 55 seconds (lots of background stuff). Games load pretty slow, so do my image/video editing apps (photoshop and premiere pro). Please tell me, how much faster can I expect this velociraptor to be?? I'd love to see comparisons of drives, I wasn't able to find them.

Also, if you recommend that I do a raid0 with two cheaper hard drives instead, please, PLEASE, also recommend a good, well priced raid controller. My mobo is gigabyte Ds3l, so no raid

thanks guys

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I have a velociraptor and while I dont have exact numbers, it did reduce the amount of time it takes to load windows. I have vista ultimate 64bit and from a cold start I'm into windows with all my task bar stuff in 30 seconds or less with a Q9450 @ 3.2ghz. With my seagate 7200.11 drive it was closer to 45 seconds I would say. Check my post I made with two hard drive "benchmarks" to see the comparison http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/f...rint=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

IMO, it's worth it, but it does depend a lot. As with anything in computers, you do hit a point of diminishing returns.

They are more than just a bit faster than an average drive though, as the faster access time makes a huge difference when loading many applications.