Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why is 3870 Better Than 8800GT?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 21, 2007 8:00:59 PM

... because it is cheaper, quieter, cooler and available.

More about : 3870 8800gt

November 21, 2007 8:20:41 PM

starcraftfanatic said:
whatever


... lol, this was just a tongue-in-cheek counterpoint to earlier topic, "why is 8800GT better than 3870".

They both got their pros and cons.
Related resources
November 21, 2007 9:14:49 PM

nurn said:
... because it is cheaper, quieter, cooler and available.


Those don't matter. Things like color and company are much more important. For example, Nvidia did not make the 3870, so it sucks totally. Also, the 3870s use a lot of red, which has been scientifically proven (along with the young earth theory) to be hazardous to how good it is. Aftermarket green coolers increase performance tenfold, but the 8800GT is cheaper anyways.

[/BULLSHIT]
November 21, 2007 9:28:33 PM

Well they are both good, but i think the 3850 is going to be a bigger shower in the future, like the 9600 was. Have you seen just how many people have a 9600, it is insane.
November 21, 2007 11:39:59 PM

Direct x 10.1 .... nvidia only dx 10 ..... DX 10.1 made for all future software ..... runs alot cooler ... G92 8800's are already having heat problems and they're brand new ! .... 3870 eats way less power supply output . About $ 80.00 - $100.00 lower in price !
November 22, 2007 1:44:38 PM

bizarre thread
November 22, 2007 2:09:42 PM

So a passive 8500GT would be better then a GTX because its cheaper and quieter?

I can get an old out of date card that doesnt even need a cooler for £3, is that better than an 8800GT then because its cooler, silent and 50x less the price?

Seriously, what a load of rubbish. 8800GT performs better under almost every situation end of story.
November 22, 2007 2:52:38 PM

Hehe, I laughed when I saw this thread. I don't think the author of the other thread wanted to show that the 8800GT was better, but was simply wondering why.

On that note, all of what trooper is saying is BS. Ok, not all of it.
-You act like DX 10.1 is the coming of Christ. Games will be made for both DX10 and 10.1. At most, the people who bought the 8800GT will lose out on a lightning effect or 2.
-Sure, it runs cooler. That is all fine and dandy, but it runs cooler because it performs less according to a plethora of benchmarks.
-3870 only uses less power when idle. If I wanted to save on my electric bill, I wouldn't leave my computer on.
-I just placed my order for a 8800GT yesterday. It was 248.99. Whereas the 3870 was 239.99. Neither of them were in stock and when I talked to customer support, they said that it was likely that the 8800GT would get in sooner.

It may seem like I am a nVidia fanboy, but if the 8800GT would have been higher priced, I would have gone ATI.

I just don't see why people claim that a videocard is better because of things that don't have much weight in choosing one. I don't ever remember thinking that I am getting a videocard because it is cheaper, runs cooler, and quieter. But -- Oh, wait! It has less performance.

The truth is that we will just have to wait to see which camp wins and nothing we say will really make too much of a difference.
November 22, 2007 3:30:12 PM

Some good points there, Aad, but one thing we as consumers must keep in mind... We don't want EITHER camp to win, per se. This constant tug-o-war between Ati and NVidia is part of what brings us the better, faster, most well-hung GPU's that our eye-candy riddled software demands. In this case, NVidia with their well endowed 8800gt was concerned that Ati with their slightly less but still generously endowed 3870 was going to steal their mid market Johns. So they pimped it at a level that made it very attractive to the average John.

And now ATI has a bit of catching up to do to stay in the market. The cycle is complete for now. Eventually ATI will come out with a proc that spanks NV's a$$ and bless them for doing so, because then NV will have to work twice as hard to catch up, make it do more, sell it for less and we, the consumer, win again.
November 22, 2007 4:03:12 PM

trooper1947 said:
Direct x 10.1 .... nvidia only dx 10 ..... DX 10.1 made for all future software ..... runs alot cooler ... G92 8800's are already having heat problems and they're brand new ! .... 3870 eats way less power supply output . About $ 80.00 - $100.00 lower in price !

Fanboy!
November 22, 2007 4:14:43 PM

trevorblain said:
Some good points there, Aad, but one thing we as consumers must keep in mind... We don't want EITHER camp to win, per se. This constant tug-o-war between Ati and NVidia is part of what brings us the better, faster, most well-hung GPU's that our eye-candy riddled software demands. In this case, NVidia with their well endowed 8800gt was concerned that Ati with their slightly less but still generously endowed 3870 was going to steal their mid market Johns. So they pimped it at a level that made it very attractive to the average John.

And now ATI has a bit of catching up to do to stay in the market. The cycle is complete for now. Eventually ATI will come out with a proc that spanks NV's a$$ and bless them for doing so, because then NV will have to work twice as hard to catch up, make it do more, sell it for less and we, the consumer, win again.


True, True. While it would good to have only one company(due to the fact that games could be specifically tuned to work amazing with that one), it would be awful for the consumer.
November 22, 2007 4:28:51 PM

@Nurn
You got it right! plus lesser power consumption and more features to unleash than 8800GT

@Rabidpeanu t
This is compatible to QUAD Intel X38, X48 and soon other chipsets. So 3800 series is different player compared to 9600 you compare. Since Intel chips is not compatible to SLI. Intel mobo users is forced to use ATI Video Cards
November 22, 2007 4:51:59 PM

i think that if amd and nvidia were to make fan club member cards they would sell a lot more than video cards
November 22, 2007 5:15:07 PM

What heat problems? Please direct me to something credible rather then a few guys who decided to overclock and melted their cards.
November 22, 2007 5:21:39 PM

pidesd said:
i think that if amd and nvidia were to make fan club member cards they would sell a lot more than video cards



At first I scoughed this idea, then upon reflection realized you may be onto something...

Real life geek factions! Member cards will give way to subcutaneous ID implants and barcode tattoos... At the check out line swipe your credit card and scan your hand to receive your 5% discount, case decal and t-shirt! Camps of dedicated consumers pushing their GPU champion to bash in the transistors of the competitor by beating their benchies by 5fps!

It will be glorious! Rabid spending by leashed lapdogs that know only that one way to show their devotion to their corporate logos...
November 22, 2007 5:37:26 PM

I think ATi's offering is better personally. I saw an article where the guy OC'd the GDDR4 chips 400Mhz+ past the stock settings whilst cooling with the dual-orb. It was on this forum somewhere...
November 22, 2007 5:42:43 PM

:) 
November 22, 2007 5:54:37 PM

In before bel air
November 23, 2007 1:36:55 AM

trevorblain said:
At first I scoughed this idea, then upon reflection realized you may be onto something...

Real life geek factions! Member cards will give way to subcutaneous ID implants and barcode tattoos... At the check out line swipe your credit card and scan your hand to receive your 5% discount, case decal and t-shirt! Camps of dedicated consumers pushing their GPU champion to bash in the transistors of the competitor by beating their benchies by 5fps!

It will be glorious! Rabid spending by leashed lapdogs that know only that one way to show their devotion to their corporate logos...


dont go too fast... i got patent rights on that
!