Sign in with
Your question

Chkdsk

Last response: in Windows XP
April 12, 2010 6:39:07 PM

My computer running XP hung up a couple of days ago. Had to use power button to reboot. When it rebooted chkdsk wanted to run so I let it. It hung up on stage 2 at 1%. I let it run all night. I rebooted again and tried to cancel it but could not. I have run other software at it- seems the HD is mech ok. How can I get apst chkdsk to see if it will boot?

Thanks
fr8dog

More about : chkdsk

April 12, 2010 7:16:44 PM

fr8dog said:
My computer running XP hung up a couple of days ago. Had to use power button to reboot. When it rebooted chkdsk wanted to run so I let it. It hung up on stage 2 at 1%. I let it run all night. I rebooted again and tried to cancel it but could not. I have run other software at it- seems the HD is mech ok. How can I get apst chkdsk to see if it will boot?

Thanks
fr8dog

You need to go in to the Registry so go Start>Run and type regedit into the Open box. From the File menu, select Export and then note the name you give the backup file and its location. Having done that backup, you can now safely the following change.

Navigate through the tree structure much as you would in Windows Explorer and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>System>CurrentControlSet>Control>Session Manager. Amend the BootExecute entry to read: autocheck autochk * Select Exit from the File menu and restart the computer - twice.

Hopefully, the second time, everything will be back to normal.

m
l
April 12, 2010 7:44:40 PM

Saga Lout said:

You need to go in to the Registry so go Start>Run and type regedit into the Open box. From the File menu, select Export and then note the name you give the backup file and its location. Having done that backup, you can now safely the following change.

Navigate through the tree structure much as you would in Windows Explorer and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>System>CurrentControlSet>Control>Session Manager. Amend the BootExecute entry to read: autocheck autochk * Select Exit from the File menu and restart the computer - twice.

Hopefully, the second time, everything will be back to normal.

Thanks Saga, However I cannot get to windows. Cannot get past the chkdsk. there fore cannot get to start. Cann one edit the registry from dos?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2010 11:56:49 AM

fr8dog said:
Thanks Saga, However I cannot get to windows. Cannot get past the chkdsk. there fore cannot get to start. Cann one edit the registry from dos?

Thanks

Does tapping the Function 8 key before Windows starts to load get you a sight iof the Safe Mode or \Advanced Boot menus?

m
l
April 13, 2010 2:08:48 PM

Saga Lout said:

Does tapping the Function 8 key before Windows starts to load get you a sight iof the Safe Mode or \Advanced Boot menus?

Saga,
No safe mode hangs at that loading screen. I tired everything I could think of. While the HDD was mech ok Dos could only see the Fat32 235 mb partition. I gave up and started over. Thanks for the info.

Fr8dog
m
l
April 13, 2010 4:04:51 PM

It sounds like a windows repair or the fixboot option from the repair console will fix the freezing issue in safe mode. You can also run the chkdsk /r option from the repair console, as there probably are a few errors. Do you have an XP disc?
m
l
April 20, 2010 1:53:48 PM

Thanks Aford,
However I could not do anything with it. Safe would not work, I could not stop the chkdsk, I looked at the Cmos, Bios but all seemed ok. Could see anything but the FAT partition in cmd. Have no Idea what the hell went wrong but have reformatted and started over. Thanks for the responces guys

Fr8dog
m
l
!