eVGA 9600gt SC Overclocking

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a 9600gt, althought I know they are a bit behind on the 8800gt/gts in terms of performance the price was right. Anyways I was getting the odd stutter playing TDU and Bioshock with 16xaa both at 1920x1080 ( my TV's native res ). So I riva tuned the card to 800mhz clock ( from 675 ), and I believe 1950 shader and left the memory alone. I ran the games, and the card core temps are hitting high 50's under load @ 800 mhz, and they were doing about low 50's before. Is this still a safe temperature? I havent had any instability. My system is as follows

e6550 with p35ds3l @ 2.8ghz (400mhz bus) @ 1.23v Runs around low teens at idle and mid 30's under prime95. Northbridge runs high 30's.
2 gb Corsair twinx ddr2-5400, but im running it at 800 mhz and 4-4-4-12 with +0.2v

It got an 11,026 on 3dmark06.

Thanks guys.
17 answers Last reply
More about evga 9600gt overclocking
  1. Temps are fine, just stay under 85C. Vidcards can take much more heat than the cpus.
  2. If you want something that is price for performance, you should have gone with a radeon HD3870. Those go for about 180$ and will stomp all over 8800gt and gts. You are not going to get any performance in new games with that 9600gt.
  3. iancarnage said:
    If you want something that is price for performance, you should have gone with a radeon HD3870. Those go for about 180$ and will stomp all over 8800gt and gts. You are not going to get any performance in new games with that 9600gt.

Are you loosing your mind!?

You are so ignorant it's rubbing off on your posts!

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6307&Itemid=1

Here is just a cheap ol' EVGA and it blows away 3870s.
  4. Oh and 90% of the time the 8800gt will stomp a 3870 on these charts http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html
  5. I dont see my card really getting smoked that bad I mean, listen my PC with the stock card and cpu @ 2.8ghz got 10156 on 3d mark. When I OC'd the card to 800mhz core, which i asked about, I almost gained 1000 points. Now the game runs flawless. I dont know what games your talking about not running well, but Bioshock is max everything and 16xaa and there is no jittering, just smooth gameplay, and this is at 1920x1080.
  6. You said you were using Rivatuner, right? I downloaded 2.08 and I am running Vista.

I have a 3800+ X2 socket 939, 2gigs DDR400 and 9600GT. I purchased the 650Mhz model and planned to OC it. I started by benchmarking to get an idea of where I am which is about 7142 on 3dMark06. I OC'ed in Riva and got basically the same score. I moved the core clock to 740Mhz and the memory to 1000Mhz (2000 effective). The shaders I allowed to scale with the core clock.

Since there was virtually no change in my score I uninstalled 3dMark and downloaded nTune with the exact same results. What am I doing wrong? I see no increase in frame rates at all.
  7. dcopen said:
    You said you were using Rivatuner, right? I downloaded 2.08 and I am running Vista.

I have a 3800+ X2 socket 939, 2gigs DDR400 and 9600GT. I purchased the 650Mhz model and planned to OC it. I started by benchmarking to get an idea of where I am which is about 7142 on 3dMark06. I OC'ed in Riva and got basically the same score. I moved the core clock to 740Mhz and the memory to 1000Mhz (2000 effective). The shaders I allowed to scale with the core clock.

Since there was virtually no change in my score I uninstalled 3dMark and downloaded nTune with the exact same results. What am I doing wrong? I see no increase in frame rates at all.

Sometimes a fresh install of windows and all drivers helps with new vid cards. I would start there.
  8. i think maybe your CPU could hold your system back.overclock to 3.2ghz it should be easy on the Core 2.and i believe if you overclock your vram to 1050 is also achievable on such card.but the core 800mhz i think its abit high for the kind.but maybe your card have better voltage regulator so provide more juice to the GPU.
  9. iancarnage said:
    If you want something that is price for performance, you should have gone with a radeon HD3870. Those go for about 180$ and will stomp all over 8800gt and gts. You are not going to get any performance in new games with that 9600gt.

i think you must be drunk or something.the 9600GT is head to head with the HD3870.but with AA+AF turn on the 9600GT will smoke the 3870 in most game.the 3870X2 is competing against the 8800GTS which is a BIG LAUGH i think, because a DUAL GPU card is performaning sometime worse or just slightly better then a SINGLE GPU card.

i think you are just another AMD fan boi!!! :lol: DAMN!!!I CANT STOP LAUGHING!!!
  10. if you play game, less video = nvidia
    if you vid alot, medium game = ati

iam using 9600gt & im doin fine.
  11. spotless said:
    if you play game, less video = nvidia
    if you vid alot, medium game = ati

HUH?
  12. Beats me...

I think what he meant was Nvidia gets better frames but ATI has better image quality, which is inline with other observations.
  13. iluvgillgill said:
    i think you must be drunk or something.the 9600GT is head to head with the HD3870.but with AA+AF turn on the 9600GT will smoke the 3870 in most game.the 3870X2 is competing against the 8800GTS which is a BIG LAUGH i think, because a DUAL GPU card is performaning sometime worse or just slightly better then a SINGLE GPU card.

i think you are just another AMD fan boi!!! :lol: DAMN!!!I CANT STOP LAUGHING!!!

Ever heard of drivers? Yeah, there's a thing called drivers that sometimes severely limits the potential of the not only the 3870x2, but the 8800GTS as well. ;)

The 3870x2 is a better vidcard than the 8800GTS, but the price isn't justified. If AMD can just lower the price to $300, then I think it would be a good deal.
  14. Evilonigiri said:
    Ever heard of drivers? Yeah, there's a thing called drivers that sometimes severely limits the potential of the not only the 3870x2, but the 8800GTS as well. ;)

The 3870x2 is a better vidcard than the 8800GTS, but the price isn't justified. If AMD can just lower the price to $300, then I think it would be a good deal.

Of course i have heard of a thing called drivers.but a good card cant be called a good card if the driver support is not good enough.so from the current situation the driver is not good on the amd card as seen in all benchmark so the 3870x2 is not a good card after all.and i dont think too many new drivers are going to come out since AMD is struggling to pay their staff with in the company.so if you are on AMD it would be a better idea to switch to Intel and Nvidia.

always look at the overall image dont just ONLY look at the spec of the card(better fillrate for the AMD card).if you believe in benchmark then i guess you are smart enough to understand from the result!if not oh well!
  15. iluvgillgill said:
    Of course i have heard of a thing called drivers.but a good card cant be called a good card if the driver support is not good enough.so from the current situation the driver is not good on the amd card as seen in all benchmark so the 3870x2 is not a good card after all.and i dont think too many new drivers are going to come out since AMD is struggling to pay their staff with in the company.so if you are on AMD it would be a better idea to switch to Intel and Nvidia.

always look at the overall image dont just ONLY look at the spec of the card(better fillrate for the AMD card).if you believe in benchmark then i guess you are smart enough to understand from the result!if not oh well!

I agree! AMD/ATI has been notorious for bad drivers. The cards would be so much better if they would spend more time with the drivers, however I do like how ATI takes there time with the overall engineering of the cards.
  16. Very valid point, one can see it that way. Some people thinks (or rather, hope) that the drivers will improve in the future, thus bringing out the potential of the 3870x2.
  17. i guess it wont happen as they already concentrate on the next product HD4xxx and will just give up on the HD3xxx card.that has happen in the HD2900 days.

and not to forget nvidia could do improvement as well when amd is doing it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking