Sign in with
Your question

To Determine an Apple vidcard?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2007 9:28:17 PM

Are there hard and fast quals for a card that will work with an Apple machine (Mac Pro) as opposed to a PC? Is it just a question of having the correct drivers and the correct PCI-e card? or is there to it than that?
November 21, 2007 11:31:07 PM

Ati's X1900
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
NVIDIA GeForce 7600
NVIDIA GeForce 7300Try looking
These are some of the cards that will work. You can do your research by looking at ati.com and nvidia.com to look what is compatible. MOST CARDS ARE NOT SUPPORTED. One of the downsides of Mac's is the inability to upgrade
bc
November 23, 2007 7:03:13 AM

Just buy/build a PC. A Mac Pro is a total rip off if you're using it just for games. I'm building up a crazy vista gaming rig, and buying a mac mini for everything else. It's the only way to go, IMHO, unless you run hardware intensive, mac-only software.

Now dont get me wrong: I LOVE, LOVE Mac OSX, to the point where using windows makes me cringe. However, I'll be the first to admit that Macs SUCK for gaming. Unfortunately, it will always be that way. Apple makes a ton off their hardware, and letting people upgrade, or *gasp* building their own system would cut into their profits. There is a very marked benefit to having a lock on the hardware, though: no driver conflicts, etc.

In the end, I really don't mind. Sure, I have to shell out an extra 900-1000 bucks for a mini and monitor
!