Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A little warning about the 8800GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 21, 2007 9:35:46 PM

Not a big issue for those of you with your eyes nearly out of their sockets :) .

I bought an 8800GT just the other day and it ran totally silent, so I was a little surprised considering the reviews showed it to be around 43DB. Then someone on another site mentioned that the fan idles at 29% no matter what, which is bad for temps off course. I ran ntuner and nvtemplogger and found it to be true. So you want to make sure that the temps are kept down and you dont burn the gpu out. Idle was 70 degrees celcius when the fan was at 29%. And 50 degrees at 100%.

Seems to be a drivers issue or something.

Another thing guys (I am no expert in video cards and memory) so I am wondering why the Memory Bus speed is shown as 900 on ntuner? is that cos its 900 x 2? ANd the program reports just one of the modules?

Wow just noticed when I joined:
Joined : Tue Jan 01, 1970. Am I really that old? lol

More about : warning 8800gt

November 21, 2007 10:39:05 PM

ATI agent! 8800GT shall prevail!
November 21, 2007 10:41:03 PM

talaash said:
Wow just noticed when I joined:
Joined : Tue Jan 01, 1970. Am I really that old? lol



You, me, and a whole lot of other people.

As to the rest of the problem you're having with the 8800GT, quite a number of people are having problems. Part of it is drivers, part is just Nvidia. I've had a number of troubles with my 8800 GTS. Go through the release notes from Nvidia. There might be a fix in there for your particular problem. You might also try using Rivatuner and adjust the fan speed with it, or perhaps with Speedfan. I coudn't get Ntune to work properly, but Riva did, so I used that and Speedfan to get things under control.
Related resources
November 21, 2007 11:50:19 PM

Results may vary. Side effects may be rashes, nausea, swealing, and fast frame rates.
RivaTuner 2.06 for fan speeds. My idle is 47 and load just over 70 sometimes with heavy AA. 2 120mm fans and 45% on the 8800GT. My system isn't bombarded with fans either, regardless, they don't cost much.
Yeah, 900x2.

November 22, 2007 12:07:30 AM

Blacken said:
Results may vary. Side effects may be rashes, nausea, swealing, and fast frame rates.
RivaTuner 2.06 for fan speeds. My idle is 47 and load just over 70 sometimes with heavy AA. 2 120mm fans and 45% on the 8800GT. My system isn't bombarded with fans either, regardless, they don't cost much.
Yeah, 900x2.

+1

With RivaTuner my idle is 46c with a speed fan at 60%.
I set fan profiles at 60%-80%-and 100%
Anything above 65c kicks the fan speed to 100% and it doesn't stay there very long then goes back to 80%.
November 22, 2007 12:12:10 AM

Let's face it NVIDIA put a lousey slow fan .... pissy lil shroud on the new 8800 g92's . Why is anyone's guess .... already having heat problems under heavy use ! And cranking up that fan speed on a fan not made for it will only cause premature fan failure ..... = GPU frying and failure before you know it happened ! = warranty void ! = $ 280.00 paper weight .
November 22, 2007 12:20:18 AM

Duorb@100% slightly audible but acceptable, I'd guess around 30-35db.
34C idle
44C load
November 22, 2007 1:09:13 AM

MAC! sucks
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 1:42:35 AM

talaash said:
Not a big issue for those of you with your eyes nearly out of their sockets :)  .

I bought an 8800GT just the other day and it ran totally silent, so I was a little surprised considering the reviews showed it to be around 43DB. Then someone on another site mentioned that the fan idles at 29% no matter what, which is bad for temps off course. I ran ntuner and nvtemplogger and found it to be true.
From another forum:
"spoke with a guy at EVGA who's indicated they are working with Nvidia
on a driver/bios update. He said the first thing you should do is up
the fan through Ntune or Rivatuner. He also indicated the sweet spot
noise/performance is right about 45% FWIW... "

November 22, 2007 1:53:51 AM

In regards to the aformentioned 900 Mhz memory bus. My Evga 8800GT is currently running at 950 Mhz. Is this right? I thought that it would be in the 1500's but I may be wrong. Could anyone clarify if this bus speed is normal for the 8800GT? I found that setting threw Nvidia control panel just like talaash
November 22, 2007 3:22:38 AM

950x2=1900mhz
My eVga 8800GT SC (stock) is 650/1625/1900
November 22, 2007 3:38:21 AM

Kpo... I noticed your system configuration and am wondering why you run 3gb of ram... it's my understanding (and I may be wrong) that running 3 gigs.... just assuming that each stick is one gig would hinder your capabilities in running dual channel thus reducing your RAM speed substantially... Is this the case with you? I ask because I've done a lot of RAM discussions recently and notice you are running 3gigs
November 22, 2007 3:46:43 AM

hughyhunter said:
Kpo... I noticed your system configuration and am wondering why you run 3gb of ram... it's my understanding (and I may be wrong) that running 3 gigs.... just assuming that each stick is one gig would hinder your capabilities in running dual channel thus reducing your RAM speed substantially... Is this the case with you? I ask because I've done a lot of RAM discussions recently and notice you are running 3gigs

System ram capacity = 4GB (4 slots)
2x1GB + 2x512mb = 4 sticks = 3GB
3GB DDR2 PC5300 @ 667mhz in dual-channel mode
Vista Home Premium x86 (32bit)
December 6, 2007 8:13:27 PM

He could be using 2-512's and 2 1 gigs ... which would make it correct . That's what we install on all 3 gig systems . And don't even get me started why Bill Gates keeps that 3 gig max even on vista ! If microbrain inc. would raise it programmers would be able to use 4-8 gigs in programming ! And why so few addresses ????? When will they ever get away fron 088 design and go RISK ?????? Christ dos died and the systems have stayed virtually the same ! Screw that backward compatible issue ... that's gone too . You know that 4th gig of yours is deader than a door nail ... don't ya ? Oh well just looked up and saw he answered the question .... I need a rest ..... a long rest !
!