HDTV recording of TV show vs DVD

(Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to post this newbie question to
or not.)

How would an HDTV recording of a TV show (say, "Lost" or "Alias")
compare to the retail DVD version of the same show? (when the DVD set
is released)

Would the DVD PQ (presumably 480p) be noticeably poorer than the
network HDTV feed? (presumably 720p)
16 answers Last reply
More about hdtv recording show

    Guy (newsgroupposter@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > How would an HDTV recording of a TV show (say, "Lost" or "Alias")
    > compare to the retail DVD version of the same show? (when the DVD set
    > is released)

    Well, the retail DVD wouldn't have any station bugs or squashed credits,
    so that would be one thing better. But, an actual HD recording will
    blow away the quality of standard DVD.

    > Would the DVD PQ (presumably 480p) be noticeably poorer than the
    > network HDTV feed? (presumably 720p)

    Yes, it's quite obvious. If you haven't ever seen HD, then really good
    DVDs are great, but once you have a standard for comparison, you'll
    always notice the difference.

    --
    Jeff Rife | Sam: How's life in the fast lane, Normie?

    | Norm: Beats me, I can't find the on-ramp.

    Thanks for the replies. I just learned that an ABC HDTV feed is not
    available to me yet (I have Dish Network).

    I've seen both of these particular shows' episodes available for
    download via BitTorrent. The file sizes seem small (~350MB).
    Apparently, users are recording the shows, compressing via MPEG-4, and
    then making them available. Would the PQ of these files still be
    noticeably better than the DVD?

    Like just about all DVD sets, the Alias DVD sets include special
    features (commentaries, etc.) that wouldn't be available on the
    existing downloads nor on the shows I'll record when DN makes an ABC
    HDTV feed available. So perhaps the DVDs are the way to go. OTOH, how
    long will it take for studios to go back and re-release DVD-HD (or
    whatever it will be called) versions of their hit shows? :^|

    The quality is noticably better, no doubt about it. Am using D-VHS
    recorders & I were inclined to save anything the networks were
    broadcasting I would record them & never think twice about the
    inferior DVD. Alas there is not much on the networks I'd watch this
    yr. Have a HD CRT & a projector set up with a 10' screen & at the
    latter's size I prefer any thing HD over DVD.

    On 7 May 2005 22:36:12 -0700, "Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >(Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to post this newbie question to
    >or not.)
    >
    >How would an HDTV recording of a TV show (say, "Lost" or "Alias")
    >compare to the retail DVD version of the same show? (when the DVD set
    >is released)
    >
    >Would the DVD PQ (presumably 480p) be noticeably poorer than the
    >network HDTV feed? (presumably 720p)

    If you hadn't seen past years' episodes of a series like "Alias", would
    you go back and purchase the DVD sets, assuming they were available at
    a low price? Or would you resist the lower PQ and seek out other
    options? ;^)

    Guy (newsgroupposter@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > I've seen both of these particular shows' episodes available for
    > download via BitTorrent. The file sizes seem small (~350MB).
    > Apparently, users are recording the shows, compressing via MPEG-4, and
    > then making them available. Would the PQ of these files still be
    > noticeably better than the DVD?

    No, because they are almost universally a lower resolution (about like
    DVD's 720x480). There is no way to take a 5GB MPEG-2 (which is the size
    of a 1 hour HD show with commercials, null packets, and PSIP removed) and
    compress using MPEG-4 and maintain full resolution and quality with a
    resulting 350MB file size.

    MPEG-4 could do the job in about 2-3GB and maintain full resolution and
    quality. This is a *huge* savings in space, but it's still a really big
    file to download.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "But as much as everybody loves you, there is
    | one question that keeps coming up...how dumb
    | WAS she?"
    | -- Tempus to Lois Lane

    We record HD network shows, including "Lost", as a matter of fact, on the
    hard drive of our Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR cable box and play them back
    later. They look, as far as I can tell, exactly like the original air
    version. Much, much better than DVD.

    mack
    austin

    wrote:

    >(Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to post this newbie question to
    >or not.)
    >
    >How would an HDTV recording of a TV show (say, "Lost" or "Alias")
    >compare to the retail DVD version of the same show? (when the DVD set
    >is released)
    >
    >Would the DVD PQ (presumably 480p) be noticeably poorer than the
    >network HDTV feed? (presumably 720p)

    I've taken some samples from movies recorded off of broadcast hdtv and
    compared them to the same scene from DVD and I have to say that DVD
    looks like a pile of puke compared to broadcast HD. I can't wait to
    find a sample of carefully compressed HDVD quality...

    Useful observation, R.J.

    "R J McGregor" <abc@def.com> wrote in message
    > On 7 May 2005 22:36:12 -0700, "Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >(Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to post this newbie question to
    > >or not.)
    > >
    > >How would an HDTV recording of a TV show (say, "Lost" or "Alias")
    > >compare to the retail DVD version of the same show? (when the DVD set
    > >is released)
    > >
    > >Would the DVD PQ (presumably 480p) be noticeably poorer than the
    > >network HDTV feed? (presumably 720p)
    >
    > I've taken some samples from movies recorded off of broadcast hdtv and
    > compared them to the same scene from DVD and I have to say that DVD
    > looks like a pile of puke compared to broadcast HD. I can't wait to
    > find a sample of carefully compressed HDVD quality...

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 15:56:35 GMT, "Mack McKinnon"
    <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote:

    >We record HD network shows, including "Lost", as a matter of fact, on the
    >hard drive of our Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR cable box and play them back
    >later. They look, as far as I can tell, exactly like the original air
    >version. Much, much better than DVD.
    >
    >mack
    >austin

    Are you talking about the internal hard drive of the SA 8300HD, or do
    you have an external hard drive connected via the SATA connection?

    "Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote (in part):

    >If you hadn't seen past years' episodes of a series like "Alias", would
    >you go back and purchase the DVD sets, assuming they were available at
    >a low price? Or would you resist the lower PQ and seek out other
    >options? ;^)

    I wouldn't buy any DVD (or HD format when available) just to watch
    once, unless the price was very low, on the order of the rental cost.
    And I've cut back on buying the ones I want to watch repeatedly, in
    anticipation of a better format to come. But I won't even buy into
    that format until my local libraries start building a collection.

    Some cable network is bound to pick up Alias, if they can find room
    for it among all the Law and Order and CSI repeats. Probably a good
    fit for TNT, which would run them in HD if the early ones are
    available that way.

    Del Mibbler

    I downloaded an episode of Alias and viewed it using WMP on my desktop
    PC. It's widescreen, has the ABC logo, and was obviously recorded from
    an HDTV signal. The PQ is excellent. According to WMP, the properties
    of the file are:

    Video size: 624 x 352
    Aspect Ratio: 1.77:1
    Audio Codec: MPEG Layer-3 Decoder
    Video Codec: XviD MPEG-4 Video Decoder

    However, I'm not convinced the PQ would be any better than the DVD
    equivalent. I mean, standard widescreen DVD is 720x480, isn't it? If
    so, the file's video size (i.e., resolution?) seems similar to standard
    DVD. Yet the picture is stunning, at least on my PC monitor.

    What am I missing? What other attributes would make one of these HDTV
    recordings better than the DVD?

    "Charlie9" <j@b.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 08 May 2005 15:56:35 GMT, "Mack McKinnon"
    > <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote:
    >
    >>We record HD network shows, including "Lost", as a matter of fact, on the
    >>hard drive of our Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR cable box and play them
    >>back
    >>later. They look, as far as I can tell, exactly like the original air
    >>version. Much, much better than DVD.
    >>
    >>mack
    >>austin
    >>
    > Are you talking about the internal hard drive of the SA 8300HD, or do
    > you have an external hard drive connected via the SATA connection?

    I am talking about the internal hard drive of the SA 8300HD.

    mack
    austin

    Thanks. The PQ is stunning, IMO. Much better-looking than standard def.

    I temporarily hooked the PC to my new HDTV and was still very impressed
    with the PQ. Not as good as the few HDTV channels I receive, but still
    good. Looked much better than the standard def channels I receive.

    "R J McGregor" <abc@def.com> wrote in message
    > On 7 May 2005 22:36:12 -0700, "Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>(Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to post this newbie question to
    >>or not.)
    >>
    >>How would an HDTV recording of a TV show (say, "Lost" or "Alias")
    >>compare to the retail DVD version of the same show? (when the DVD set
    >>is released)
    >>
    >>Would the DVD PQ (presumably 480p) be noticeably poorer than the
    >>network HDTV feed? (presumably 720p)
    >
    > I've taken some samples from movies recorded off of broadcast hdtv and
    > compared them to the same scene from DVD and I have to say that DVD
    > looks like a pile of puke compared to broadcast HD. I can't wait to
    > find a sample of carefully compressed HDVD quality...

    An exception would be to use a DVD upscaler like I do. I have the LG 3510a
    and upscale DVD to 720p and send through DVI to LCD tv and the result is
    comparable to the HD broadcast. The program is Smallville which is
    available on DVD and is broadcast in HD. Of course quality varies in the
    original broadcast episode to episode and sometimes the camera and lens
    combo isn't HD capable like the location cameras aren't as good as the
    studio ones and it is noticeable.

    BC

    >>>How would an HDTV recording of a TV show (say, "Lost" or "Alias")
    >>>compare to the retail DVD version of the same show? (when the DVD set
    >>>is released)

    Not well, I think. The DVD can only be in 480i, which you can upconvert
    with your DVD player or your TV set for, perhaps, an improved picture. On
    the other hand, the HD recording of the show on an SA 8300HD DVR looks the
    same as the HD original via digital cable, at least as far as I can tell.

    mack
    austin

HDTV TV DVD Home Theatre