Schrup

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
I tried to reuse 2 Raptor 74GB drived in RAID 0 in my new build. I didn't wipe them first, so my old O/S & files were archived to read only. After I installed the new Vista 64-bit O/S, I deleted my old O/S & files, then defragged. This took several hours & probable put a lot of stress on them. I noted that they were pretty noisey afterwards. I have had problems trying to get my memory bumped up to the recommended settings from the default. I could get an 8 hour memtest to pass, but would crash in windows with SATA errors & sometimes windows would run disc checks after reboot. Everything worked fine at the default settings.

I suspected that my HDs were the culprit, so today I ran a Everest disc stress test on them for about 20 minutes. After, I loaded a windows update & when I restarted my discs wouldn't reboot. I loaded the Vista disc & it only shows 38GB on one disc, probable about the amount of free space I had on it. I doesn't shows the second drive at all. I'm thinking at least one of my hard drives were marginal & the stress test pushed it over the cliff. Does this sound about right, or am I overlooking something? I wanted to ask before I install new HDs.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Best idea is to re-format (wipe everything) and load from a blank disk. Vista 64 is still a bit buggy (clock interrupts and mem read errors for me) I can game for hours, but then when I open 5-6 different things I get blue screened. as for the noise, check the screws that hold them in (had an issue a while back, person only had 1 screw in, the others fell out). As for the second drive, check the connections first. Then reboot, and see if the BIOS shows it. Issue could also be a faulty RAID (some onboard raid is flaky to say the least). If you still get nothing, then I'm afraid the HDD has coded, I'm calling it. (too many episodes of ER) In other words it's dead.