Speciallk87

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Hey im looking online to get a hard drive for my new system, has anyone ever bought an open box item, or what is your opinion with open box items? Let me know, thanks!

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Be aware that its probably been used. Also you need to know that an open box item will generally be missing software, cables, etc. Check your retailer's open box return policy and be certain that you will have enuf time to return it should there be a problem.

Speciallk87

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for the reply, doesn't sound worth it. It's from newegg and they have a 15 day policy. If it were messed up, I would be shipping it back from an APO address and probably wouldn't meet the cut off... Not a good idea, but thank you for your input

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Open box could be something as simple as the model that was photographed by the vendor for use in adverstising and online sales. Nothing wrong with those.

Open box could be a unit that has been handled slightly roughly... and lost the box. Or the box could be torn or similar problems.

Open box could be a unit that was on a pallet of goods that were damaged... and the unit was openned inspected to insure no damage.

Open box could be a unit that lacked an owner's manual and the vendor had to open the boxes to complete the missing paperwork.

Open box could be a unit that was opened by the vendor for some other purpose.

Open box could be a unit was shipped to a customer, discovered to be the wrong unit (pulling error etc) and returned to the vendor without being opened by the customer. Technically it is a return, but it is not a return in the normal sense so the vendor calls the unit an open box.

Open box could actually a customer return.

You are going to save how much buying an open box?

Speciallk87

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I'll add to the twist a little bit, newegg is offering open box 300gb velociraptor for $199.99 which is $90.00 cheaper, anyone else have any thoughts on this?