New computer build fails to start

jackal397

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
This has been a very frustrating system build (have build 3 previous systems). I purchased some new parts for a computer build and, upon completion, I plugged in the power cable and pressed the power button. Everything started for a few seconds, before dying. I started it again, and just a few system fans spun weakly before completely losing power.

I then took the power supply out of the case (Ultra 500W Xfinity) and plugged it into another motherboard, with one system fan attached. The power supply worked for a moment before dying again. I unplugged and replugged, but this time nothing turned on. I then ordered a new power supply (Corsair HX520W), which I received today, and plugged everything in, with nothing loose. I put the power cord in and fired it up. Only problem is, nothing happened. Nothing turned on. Nada. No fans moving, no indication that the power supply even worked.

I then took the power supply out of the case and plugged it into another motherboard, again with one system fan attached. Nothing turned on.

So, what happened? Did I just receive a dead power supply? Did the old power supply fry all my other components (what a large power channel in order to do that)? I don't know what to do.

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Processor
Western Digital 160GB SATA harddrive
ATi Radeon X1950 Pro video card
Abit IP35 (Intel IP35/ICH9R) motherboard
2GB (1GBx2) Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 RAM
Cooler Master Chassis CM690

I can post pictures if needed.

Any responses greatly appreciated.

tlmck

Distinguished
Here is a procedure I alway use when doing a new build. It may help your situation. if the CPU fan does not spin up on the first step, you can obviously skip the rest.

Try building outside the case. Put the MB on the foam or bag it came with and set it on top of the closed MB box it came in. This will facilitate adding the vid card. First, turn it on with CPU only to see if it spins. I use needle nose pliers to touch off the power button header. If the CPU fan is running, you should also hear the beep codes for missing ram, video, etc...

If that passes, turn off PSU and add one stick of ram. Turn it back on... if that also passes, turn it off, add vid card, and connect monitor. If you get the post screen, turn it off, add the 2nd stick of ram.

If all goes well outside the case, check to make sure you do not have any extra standoffs in the case, which could short out the MB. There should be one per MB hole and that is all. Make sure they all line up properly before installing any screws. Do not tighten any screws until all are started. Check alignment one last time, and tighten the screws.

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
or what you can do is take out the CMOS battery for ten minutes and that will reset every settings in your motherboard that are f$#$ing you up =] i did that and it worked

Did you plug in the 4 pin 12 volt CPU connector?

I ask because in years past this was not necessary and many people building for the first time after a few years miss this step. Power MUST go to main, video and aux CPU connector. When you skip this step you get a momentary spin of the fans and then nothing.

jackal397

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Alright, I got it to power up! Apparently, some of the motherboard was touching the case... Heh. Anyway, now there's a new problem! D:

So, I can get it to start, and it just gets to the Post screen and thats it. It says INTEL, abit, Press TAB to show POST, DEL to enter SETUP. Unfortunately, neither the USB or PS/2 powered keyboards were able to receive any power, so I'm not able to do anything D:. I've cleared the CMOS already by changing jumpers, and back, but to no avail.

Thanks so much already guys. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If the motherboard was shorted to the case it could have been damaged. If you are using USB Keyboard and mouse you could try PS2, if you have the connectors. Or USB if you are using PS2. Also you could try to use USB connectors on the mobo header, I believe that they are powered separately from the rear. I haven't confirmed this, but it is something to check.

jackal397

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I'm guessing something is wrong with the motherboard. I have used both a USB and PS/2 Keyboard, and nothing works. I have tried add on USB connectors that connect to both the motherboard and PS, but those haven't worked either.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Sounds like it's fried. You get too much current due to the short with components that can't handle it and they fry. They can be damaged without actually burning/smoking but that will often happen.