Need suggestions on what memory I should get.

Kaanin

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Hey I'm building my first rig and I'm still very new to all of the different components.
I'm finding motherboards and memory to be the hardest to really get a firm understanding of everything soooo....

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what memory I should by for my new rig...

Here are my specs so far...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tower Case: Antec 900 Midtower ATX Case$70
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 610W - $120
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - $90
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz - $280
RAM: ???
Graphics/video card: GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB - $290
Internal Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM - $85
Sound System: Logitech X-230 32 watts RMS 2.1 Black Speaker System - $39
Keyboard: Das Keyboard II - $80
Mouse: Logitech G7 Laser Cordless Mouse - $73
Monitor: SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - $270
CD/DVD Drives: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner with Lightscribe - $31 X 2
Total Price So Far - $1599
If you didn't catch on, I'm aiming for a $1500ish system. Primarily for Gaming, Programming, and Low Poly 3D Modeling.

I do plan to do some OC'ing, so they need to handle that. And I want em to be up to par with the rest of my system, I don't want any particular part to bottleneck whats going on.

I feel 1GB might be a bit low, providing many times I find myself running any combination of 3DSM, Photoshop, Visual Studio, and a Videogame at the same time, and even on some rare occasions ALL of them at once :lol:

So I'm thinking 2GB should be safe? Right?

So any suggestions?

akhilles

Splendid
* STAMP OF APPROVAL *

I would highly recommend an aftermarket cpu cooler for that quad cuz it can get warm even at stock. Especially since you're overclocking. Say 3ghz (333mhz x 9). Good all-in-one solutions would be Scythe Ninja/Infinity/Tuniq/Typhoon.

Yup, 2 gigs at the minimum for today's pcs since they're dirt cheap. Cheapest was $20 for 2x1gb after rebate.

CNeufeld

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
What operating system are you running?

Personally, with the rest of that hardware, I'd go with 4GB or RAM, but that would mean a 64bit OS. Photoshop loves RAM, video games can use a gig pretty easy, Visual Studio may mean running SQL Server as well... You get the point...

Clint

Kaanin

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I'm going to run Windows XP 64bit (I updated my info at the top)
64bit and 32bit cost the same, and 64bit apps are becoming more and more prevalent theres no reason not to get it.

Ok so 4gb of Ram for the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, I'm still looking for suggestions....

Kaanin

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Bump

I still need a suggestion on what I should get!!!

P.S.
Sorry hate to bump threads but I gotta get this thing planned out so I can ask for the parts for X-Mas and all my family are getting real pushy about getting a list out of me, so I'm on a time limit. PLUS no one has even given me a single suggestion...

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Go for 2x2gb, leaving room for adding more later. eWhiz recently had Super Talent 2x2gb ddr2-800 for $88, and they reportely use Micron D9 memory chips (the best for overclocking).