ATI possibly lowering 38xx series prices!!

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Cheaper 38xx is good for us, but if 400-500.000 are selling out massively atm and AMD cant supply enough, whats the point of lowering price? I would say flood the market with price as it is, and when nVidia finaly manages to ship some 8800GT for ~240$ as promised, AMD could finaly lower the price to be even more attractive.

randomizer

Champion

Nope, not even the 3850 is that cheap, the 3850 is currently around $262. Try living in Australia mate, prices suck, but the beaches are good.

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

...What in the name of HELL does a 8800 Ultra cost there???

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

With prices like that then why the heck is that cat always smiling............ :D

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

...I don't even know what to say to that....I could build a good gaming rig for the price of the air cooled one. And as for the water cooled Ultra...wow...just wow...

sailer

Splendid

And I thought is was because of some of the nice Sheila's down there. Been about 20 years since my Aussie adventure.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
at NCIX they said the shipments are getting more regular now and that if you order today the card should be shipped within a week. So ATI could be preparing to drop the price as soon as stock levels even out, which sounds like could be fairly soon.

Good news for customers on either side of the ATI/nVidia fence :D

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Well it does in a way. It's difficult to find any 8800 GT's anywhere. I bet the prices are as stands since mass profit can be made. the 3850 and 3870 are fantastic cards for the price. As it seems, AMD/ATI have ordered more gpu's compared to Nvidia's g92. Overall I think it's a smart move. Also with quadfire becoming a reality..The cheaper the cards, the more people will be tainted to buy multiple for a CF solution.

We've entered the era of 4 way crossifre and tri sli. It only makes sense both Nvidia and ATI release mid range cards that can almost rival the performance of their high ends. This way they can sell lots of mid ranged cards. Cheaper for them to produce thx to the smaller process...While they rake in heavy profit in the mid range segment...for single solutions and SLI/CF as well.

randomizer

Champion
But if nvidia is struggling to get any cards into the market, theres less competition, so why drop the prices now instead of when there is competition? They will only have to drop them again and cut profit margins further if nvidia does a price drop.