Newegg has the Phenom!!!! let it begin

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
B4 i knew how much it sucked i would have been happy, but now my eyes are fixed on a q6600, only thing i love those new 790fx boards(especially the price) and the 3870 video card, maybe i will keep my 5600(whick hauls ass) and maybe take a wait and see for the pphenom.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
B4 i knew how much it sucked i would have been happy, but now my eyes are fixed on a q6600, only thing i love those new 790fx boards(especially the price) and the 3870 video card, maybe i will keep my 5600(whick hauls ass) and maybe take a wait and see for the pphenom.

bitrate

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
The intel fanboys are crying because they have no upgrade path with their dead-end LGA 775 boards. Nehalem will cost a bomb by the looks of things and you can bet inhell will inflate the price of compatible motherboards.

AMD has a clear upgrade path with its AM2/AM2+/AM3 architecture.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh... Nehalem... Hmmm lets see, it has 8 cores with intergrated memory controller. Yep, I'd say it will need a different chipset. As far as the other Penryn support, its too soon to really say if it will work or not, not to mention it really isn't available to buy yet (Yorkfield/Wolfdale). Cause all I see is Kentsfield versions on NewEgg. And still leaves me the option to go to a quad.

Although its nice to finally see a Phenom chip at NewEgg.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

That is exactly why I'm a member of a doomsday cult. THE END IS NEAR!!!

AMD Fanboys are mad because the best AMD quad core processor, which has been RECALLED, is still beat by Intel's worst quad core. AMD has a clear upgrade path so you can continue to upgrade to lackluster performance.

Nice try Fanboy. Why don't you go buy some AMD stock?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Dude, you should really step back and take a deep breath. Or two.

Phenom FTW.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007

Correction its not 25-30% slower you exagerate things here.

Quoted from tom's review
AMD seems to have done its homework when the company set the price for its Phenom processors. The Phenom 9600 is about 13.5% slower than Intel's Q6600 in our benchmarks. On the other hand, its price is also 13.6% lower than that of its direct competitor. Thus, the two products offer practically the same performance for your money.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/19/the_spider_weaves_its_web/page42.html

Price/performance still the same. Plus the advantage of better technology than Q6600 like SSE4a, advance powersaving feature by having independent core clock speeds when not needed and so many... You dont really use 4 cores in most cases anyway. So having a PC running on 24/7 basis makes it the best combo.

And do not pull down AMD if there is no AMD you will be using your Pentium 3 or 4 right now or the worst case Pentium 1. That would not be fun, so games will be like mario on 8-bit nintendo games.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

I dont believe that, you think other companies are gonna sit by and let intel make billions? A new company would arise or IBM would probably compete.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

*sigh* Classic example of why people shouldn't post on things they have absolutely NO IDEA about. Do you even know what SSE4a is? Clearly you don't, otherwise you wouldn't be sprouting your mouth about it's 'advantages' over SSE4.

Price/performance still the same? You gotta be kidding me. Quoting THGs conclusion as proof? When they claim a Q6600 costs $330 when you can get one for $270?

Besides, reviews show Phenom still has higher power consumption compared to a Q6600 (at IDLE *and* LOAD), let alone 45nm quads.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

So your taking into consideration of that article:

"On the other hand, its price is also 13.6% lower than that of its direct competitor."

Lets do the math on the current price of right now:

13.6%x$265(q6600)=$36.04
265-36.04=$228.96

The price on the 9500:

$259

I don't see the savings there. Obviously NewEgg didn't read that article.

If you really don't use all 4 cores, and if your concerned about power savings (running it 24/7), then why bother to buy one?

And why are you bringing up P3's, P4's, P1's. There not the same as C2D ffs.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Wow... are you slow?

AM3 is a new motherboard. Nehalem will be a new motherboard. I don't see the difference there. Both have clear upgrade paths.. new socket with a new motherboard.

By the looks of things it will cost a bomb? Would you mind directing me to where you got this information? Q9450s will be in the $300-400 range when they release. That's not bad. If anything AM2 is a dead motherboard the same way LGA775 is.

Dude, you really should stop being a little phenom phanboy. Phenom loses all benchmarks, it even loses some to K8. PHAILURE.

13% figure refers to the recalled processor, not the one that's on Newegg. AMD's top recalled processor is 13% SLOWER than Intel's low end quad core.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

I see no reason to get a new cpu or video card at this point. I am still running windows XP so no DX10. I see a lot of people on here saying they are going to upgrade to a quad and that is great and all but if you still have a decent system why not wait at the least another six months.

LAWL. So true. In Baron's mind Phenom is a sucess because with a few minor revisions it will become 800% faster. AMD fanboys are even saying that disabling the L3 will make it faster, after they touted the all powerful and innovative L3.

I predict AMD will be less than 10 USD per share next week.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I just feel like I won't be a slave to Intel. Sure, maybe AMD would be the same way if the situation were reversed but it's not so

Phenom FTW.

ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY!

and other such nonsense.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

How is picking an Intel proc because it performs better being a slave?

If anything you are just a slave to AMD and blinded by your own hypocrisy.

Edit: If the Phenoms were actually faster would you have cried when AMD charged a premium for them because of the performance? No, it would be about how great the processor was compared to Intel. However.. because Intel has the better performance they are price gouging!