Which mb would be the Asus equal of DS3L/Neo2FR?

Pharaun

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I'm continuing my research of finding the most suitable motherboard for Q6600 and so far in the price range of 100-150$ I have encountered Gigabyte's P35 DS3L and MSI P35 Neo 2 FR but I couldn't find any reviews on Asus boards in this price range. Which motherboards of Asus can I consider to compare these motherboards?

Also, please help me eliminate one of these motherboards. (Gigabyte's P35 DS3L and MSI P35 Neo 2 FR)

This review chooses MSI over Gigabyte http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/08/dual_vs_quad/page4.html but I have came across many who praises Gigabyte boards. I'm stuck in between them. As stated above, I also need to add an Asus board to my list.

Every bit of help is appriciated.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I just recently (This Week) received my DS3L and it is an extremely nice board. I got mine from NewEgg for $85 shipped. Based on my experience so far, I will recommend this board for anyone who doesn't need all the frills of $150+ boards.

Pharaun

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Thank you guys.

@lunyone: Do you recommend those boards over DS3L?

@TSIMonster: It's so surprising how many people use and love that board. I've been hearing people praising Gigabyte boards a lot lately especially that board. I hear it's a great overcloaker too. The price is also very nice..

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Just took a look at the link to the Asus board and I'd have to say that I'd recommend the DS3L more. I recently built a system with that board and was very pleased with it. Its voltage regulator uses a 4 phase design not usually found on low end motherboards. I've had problems with Asus boards recently and I think that their quality has come down from where it used to be. One nifty feature of the Asus board is that it swaps legacy ports for an eSATA port, but the placement of the PATA port will probably make it difficult to use.
The MSI P35 Neo 2 FR is a higher end board than either of those and in that category. Call me biased, but in this price category I'd recommend the DS3R. It uses a 6 phase voltage regulator which is (once again) more than is usually found in this class.

-mcg

Right now I'd have to say the DS3L is probably one of the better boards. The Abit IP35-e is a very popular OC'ing mobo right now. If you go to Anandtech's forums and look at their CPU/OC'ing section, they have a whole writeup with what people have been doing with that board. Both are similiarly priced too. The Abit board usually gets a $20 MIR about once a month.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Well, I have never really been 100% satisfied with a board, but this one has came the closest! (99.5%) I took off .5% because they really should switch the floppy and IDE connector! I think someone screwed the design up by mistake right before they sent it to the manf. plant honestly! Otherwise, great board!