For OC'ing what is the best liquid cooling system/parts money can buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scaj

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
First off my system runs great and stable as is w/o OC'ing it, no complaints here but looking to push it even further. Essentially I would like to get my QX6850 (3GHz) running at 4GHz, apparently others have reached that plateau so what do I need to get my rig there or close to it. Not too concerned about OC'ing the RAM and VC's, I'd rather just up the core ratio from 9 to 12 and maintain the FSB at 333 if possible.

Current Setup:
QX6850
Asus P5E3 Deluxe
4x 1GB OCz Platinum DDR3 1333MHz @ 7-7-7-20
2 Diamond Viper 3870x2 Xfire
Thermaltake 1200W
Silverstone TJ09 5x 120mm fans @1600 rpm

With the current fans the CPU runs about 37C and mobo 35C at idle and roughly 28db for each fan. Before that I was using some 2200 rpm 38db fans and noticed the CPU cores idleing around 27, 28C, good results but too loud for my liking, sounded like a wind tunnel or a jet taking off.

I understand that some ppl have difficulty in OC'ing memory configurations using 4 sticks (mine manually set at 1.8v for stability) so I'm looking to swap them for two 2GB OCZ Reaper DDR3 sticks @ 6-5-5-18 to alleviate any issues with voltage requirements.

Expecting to eventually replace the 3870x2 for the 4870 versions so I would wait on any decision to OC those, most likely the new video cards.

So there you have it, looking for the experts opinions on what products I require to OC my rig? Even if the non-conductive fluids are not as effecient as distilled water setups, I'd prefer the safety factor knowing that leaks are not going to fry my components and would prefer them regardless .

Liquidcool

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I may have a "cool" name, but I am far from what I would consider an expert. There is one thing that I wanted to make sure that you are clear about before you start:

Distilled water is not a good conductor at first, the problem is that it leaches minerals from the plastics and metals that are in your system. It becomes a better conductor as it builds up minerals and weakens everything in your system. That is why pools have calcium added to the water to build up the water "hardness" and prevent it from "attacking" the materials in the pool.

That is why people who run distilled water typically have more pump failures and complain about seals and leaks.

Before I get the wraith of all the distilled water junkies out there . . . I have been a broadcast engineer for 20 years now and I spent a good part of that time working on a TVE-110 (that is 110kw) transmitter that was distilled water cooled. It had to be because the water boiled as part of the cooling process, but that water turned thick copper tubing into foil and ate through very expensive rubber tubing and gaskets.

My experience in PC water cooling is limited, but I have had good luck with my danger den pump, a $20 heater core style radiator, and a good CPU block. I am cooling a 805D OC'ed (the heat this thing makes is legendary) - air did not stand a chance and now I can't get this thing to go above 53C.

Good luck and happy cooling.

Scaj

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Thanks for the reply, so far I have ordered the following components:

4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC-10666 OCZ ReaperX @ 6-5-5-18
D-Tek Fuzion CPU Block 1/2" Barbs
PTS Petra DDCT-01S Custom DDC Pump Top
Thermochill PA 120.3
10' Tygon R-3603 3/8" ID 5/8" OD
8 bottles Swiftech Hydrx
2 EK Thermochill Water Block 1/2" 3/8" Barbs
Silverstone DR09 Water Cooling Bracket for TJ09 cases
D-Tek Custom LGA775 CPU mount
Laing DDC 3.2 12v 3/8" pump
Swiftech MCR120-QP Resevoir (Single fan)

Anything else that I'm missing or should get? The D-Tek nozzle is currently unavailable from any of my usual suppliers, they won't even let me backorder the item lol. Do I have the correct size of tubing to fit all the barbs for my parts? Should I add Arctic Silver or some other compound for the CPU block?

Still undecided on the cooling itself but ordered the additive for it in the meantime. Was leaning towards distilled water but I still want the safest possible solution to prevent corrosion and use non-conductive fluids if they do leak.

The mobo came with small fans for the chipsets so I'll probably go with that vs trying to install a water block for it hehe. No plans to water cool the video cards atm since I upgrade those frequently and expect to change them in June lol. No plans to water cool the new ram, they come with ther own heat sink and pipe so it should be more than adequate for any OC I do to them.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

So what type of coolant do you use?

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

This is probably the worst scare tactic comparison I have seen yet to date - it was quoted once in another thread and I was wondering who was "broadcasting" this drivel. Here's a quote of what I posted in that thread too:
What he is describing is common if components are dissimilar metals like copper with aluminum. In addition, that cooling application has far more ionic energy involved due to massive emf fields. Great scare tactic, but horribly inappropriate for comparison. Never heard of a knowledgeable wc vet complain of those issues, outside of admitted user error lol

I would gladly like to explore this is a separate thread if you care to open one for discussion. But there is no basis for this comparison on a pc level. We are talking very different worlds and very different physics and chemistry principles at work here.

Being that I have seen this posted multiple times in exactly the same format - as in cut n paste - it is bordering on trolling. I encourage the acceptance of a thread discussion, or at least a response of justification and methodology. But cut n paste all over of an inaccurate scare tactic is irresponsible at best

Status
Not open for further replies.