Just bought a brand new rig specs:
Intel Q6600 2.4ghz quad core
2 x 8800 Ultra (EVGA)
2 x Corsair PC2-1066 Dominator
ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard
Creative Audigy SE
850 Watt NZXT Powersupply. 4 x 12v rail, each at 20A

So heres the problem:
I can boot into vista just fine, but when I try to run a big 3d application the computer will randomly shut down. I have all vista drivers, have tried reseeding all of the components. I am kind of out of options here. We are trying to update the bios now, was just wondering if anyone has heard anything or has any suggestions

Thanks

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Need to keep an eye on your CPU temps perhaps. If its overheating, then that would indicate perhaps the HSF isn't on correctly, or bad airflow.

If you using the stock HSF, and it was your first time building a 775 socket, heres a video to watch:

Intel CPU Install

Ever since the 775 socket came out, the 4 push pins on the HSF generally cause over heating problems. In my opinion, the 4 pins just plain suck. The best way to be sure the pins are through, is to take the MB out and look at the backside of the MB:

MB-back.jpg

You can use CoreTemp to see what your tjunction/core temps are at idle. Chances could be that its shutting down from reaching thermal trip.

Hope that helps.

physco827

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Im using speedfan and they all say 27 Celsius. Also the controller on the front show that its between 23 and 27. So we don't think its that, we think it might have to do with the gpu. Whenever you load any graphics drivers then it shuts down. All of them except the new beta crash it. The new beta ones make it run for a while but when it gets to an intensive application it shuts down. Any other suggestions?

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Your bios.... check the bios temp or disable the threshold temp...
Check your heatsink if properly attached.

Grimmy has a nice suggestion too. But check the bios temp first maybe it reports abnormal temp reading. Should not exceed 60C at bios. speedfan reading is different from bios reading sometimes.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Did you calibrate SpeedFan? If you going by it right after the install, then the readings could be off. If you use coretemp, there's nothing to offset, and can give you what the digital temps are for each core as well.

But, it could be graphics driver. Then again, you could try testing the CPU by using TAT or Orthos to overload the CPU to see if it shuts down, to rule out the CPU overheating.

GL on that.

Edit:

Not sure if you read the C2D temp guide: Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide

And on a side note, to give you an example on how far off temps can be. I have to offset my Speed fan Cores 15C+. It can be confusing on the temps you post, cause you need to indicate what temp your saying. You basically have 3 sensors. 1 Tcase, and 2 Tjunction on the cores.

So my temps:

Ambient (front of the case) - 25C

Speedfan

CPU or Tcase - 25C
Core0 -38
Core1 - 38

CoreTemp
Core0 - 33C
Core1 - 37C

physco827

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
We only have problems in the os, when we are installing the os for example it doesn't crash at all. So we think its a os or driver issue but we can't figure it out.

charlesg99

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
I recently had a similar problem. Do you experience "instant shutdowns" (like if someone pulled the power cord)?? This is what was happening to me and my problem was my power supply who was running too hot and was shutting down my whole system instantly while intense gaming.

After one of these shutdowns, the computer was starting back again without any problem.

I changed my power supply and it solved my problem.