Should I be concerned with these temp readings??

I recently built a new system around an Asus P5E (bios 402), C2D
E6850, ATI 2600 XT, and a CoolerMaster 534 case. I ran Prime95 last to
load test the system and about 25 minutes into the test, Asus PC Probe
was reporting a CPU temp of 91 deg Celsius and MB temp of 192 deg
Celsius ( yes, those numbers are Celsius not Fahrenheit... I'm not
making this up). Needless to say I immediately shutdown Prime95. The
CPU temp slowly came down to the mid 80's C and stayed there for about
3 or 4 minutes until I rebooted. I entered the Bios and went to
Hardware Monitor and the CPU temp was 40-42 deg C and MB temp was 35
deg C. I reran Prime 95 this morning for about 20 minutes and the CPU
temp never rose above 53 deg C and MB temp never went higher than 36
deg C.

Any opinions on what might have been going on last night. I should
also add that I am not overclocking the CPU nor the memory. Everything
is running at stock frequencies and voltages. Could this have damaged
the CPU in anyway?
6 answers Last reply
More about should concerned temp readings
  1. I doubt any damage was done. I'd say you had a temporary spike or reading that froze. If you're not taxing your cpu for daily use, I would skip prime 95 anyway. Better to monitor your room temps, and decide if a better heatsink is necessary. If my system overheats, it's from a high summer temp when the a/c is off. My old p4 northwood hit 80c at least twice, and it still works.
  2. Check Asus's website for BIOS updates. Also, uninstall Probe and install SpeedFan Beta 4.34.
  3. Maybe your cpu insulating material, white paste or AS5, needed to cook off a bit.
  4. I think something wrong in pc probe or temp sensors because 192 C is 92 degrees more than boiling temp. so in a such high temp i don't thibk MB compenents can exsist.
  5. if you touch the heat sink at a high temp like that your fingers should get really burnt so i do think it 's a mis reading ...
  6. Careful with the 'finger assessment' test - anything over 40°C will feel painful, over 60°C may hurt - over 100°C is, inded, boiling water - your skin cells' water included.
    I'd say it 'more a problem of sensor misreporting temperatures. Sometimes, sensors will have a glitch, causing a misinterpretation of their results by software monitors. I'd say your soft merely multiplied all inputs by two - making your graphic cards reach 96°C, which is high but not unheard of: my old Geforce 6600 is passively cooled; it routinely reached 95°C under heavy gaming, and MSI confirmed me it was normal. I didn't like it, so I overhauled it: adding better thermal paste, memory chip heatsinks, slightly increase the sink's pressure on the chip, and pointing a system fan at it dropped temp under heavy load under 80°C.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Celsius CPUs Motherboards