itayshar

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
HELLO EVERYONE

i am buying a new computer at the end of december.. and i just want to ask
is the e6550 powefull enough?! i want a good strong cpu that will be able to multitask.. run all programs and games!

should i try to get some more money in order to get the e6750?! or is the e6550 powerfull enough..

my budget is alil slim but if it is necessary i will buy the e6750...

thanks for whoever helps :hello:

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Well.... really it depends. It depends on what exactly you are doing with it. The short answer is yes. It's a very capable processor, and can probably run almost everything just fine.

The only thing that it might not be good enough for is if you have an extremely high end videocard. Then this processor might hold it back a little. But then you can always overclock it.

I have this processor. I have it overclocked to 3.4 Ghz. It's relatively easy. You just need some decent RAM and a decent motherboard. I have the Anted 900 and the Tuniq Tower 120. It's never hit 60 celcius.

If you do things like photoshop or other programs like that, it might be worth it to get a quad core processor. I don't know that much about those programs though, and I wouldn't be able to say if this processor would be satisfactory for that.

I would get the 6550, since you have a tight budget. You should be able to get at least 3 Ghz. probably any 800 Mhz RAM would be able to make it to that. And just get a decent motherboard.

I think if I had gotten the 6750, I'd be able to get higher (I think it's the RAM holding me backa little). but, 3.4 Ghz is definitely enough for me, and I don't think the extra cost is worth the few extra hundred Mhz I may have gotten.

itayshar

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
first of all thanks for the quick answer..

i dont think i am going to use photoshop, i am not a graphic man or something like that lol
the graphics card i am planning to buy is the 8800gt.. and probably 2gb of ram 667mhz.. but i might get 800mhz if u say its better for oc..

the store that i am buildin the computer from offers free overclock so i might ask them to overclock the cpu a little bit..

so u say the difference between the e6550 and the e6750 isnt that big ?

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
The e6550 is a fine chip, and should overclock very well if you choose to.

Definitevely get the 800 Mhz ram, CAS 4, Its better overall and it shouldn't be more expensive (In fact is cheaper in some stores), overclocking C2Ds is very easy, my e6300 is running at 3.01 Ghz and at full load it gets to 57ºC with the stock cooler.

Remember to get a good PSU, chech the threads in the PSU forums, you don't want your overclock to be unsatble (or your whole system dead) because os a sucky PSU.

Cheers and happy gaming