lincoln645

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hello,
If I use the repair function from a windows cd that did not come from the original computer which I purchased seperatly. Will the original computer ask for it's product key code that came pre-installed on that original computer; or will I need the product key code the windows cd that I purchased seperatly?

When you need the Repair function, you don't go far enough into the installation process to be asked for the Product Key so any XP CD will do. For some specific repairs, you're better off with the same OS - particular if you're repairing XP MCE which originally came with two disks.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
That may depend on which XP repair function lincoln645 is referring to. In some versions of XP the first Repair Option that you encounter runs the Recovery Console and as Saga Lout states, it will not ask you for a product key (but it might ask for the Administrator Password).

The second Repair Option (which is offered in some Windows XP versions, but not all) is encountered on a later install screen after Windows checks for previously installed versions. You might have the option to perform a Repair Install at this point, in which case you may very well need to put in your original product key, or a new one that matches the version of XP disc you are installing with.

Always better to use a disc that matches the actual Windows that you own, such as OEM version, Retail Version, or Voluming Licensing version.

If you are performing the Recovery Console Repair then all is well as Saga Lout states.

Cheers!

P.S. Saga Lout, I think my standard salutation would go better with your username! :)