Need help choosing CPU for gaming build

Blazkowicz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
I've had my curent PC for about 3 years now and its time to say goodbye. I'm going to be getting a PC from alienware and I can't decide if I should get a AMD or Intel based system. I read firing squads 500 dollar pc upgrade that says cpu isn't as much of a factor as much as GPU if your playing games at higher res which I do (I always play 1600x1200). So my choice is either 6000+ or E6750, I can afford either one but it would be nice if I can save a few bucks on AMD if I don't need the intel one.

So what do you guys think, will a intel cpu be that much better when gaming then an AMD one?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Not a whole lot. I'd go for value. For example, the 5000 black edition is around $130 but with an unlocked multiplier, you may be able to run it higher than the 2800 stock setting. Deals are out there this week. I'm probably headed to Fry's electronics tomorrow to pick up some spare parts. They have an am2 cpu with board for $59, or the q6600 with board for $199. If your budget is tight, I'd save more for your video card unless you already have an 8800.