Q6600@3.4ghz

_aurora_

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I just tried overclocking to 3.4ghz and it posts but as soon as its about to load windows, I get a "windows error recovery" screen. At 3.0 - 3.2ghz it doesn't even post but at 3.4ghz it does and looks like it going to work but then I get that screen.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
hehe, thats so very helpful! I recommend posting your system specs as best you can, before someone else says the same thing! You dont happen to have a 680i chipset, do ya?

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
yeah, that was an easy guess when I see q6xxx problems with simple OCs of the processor. Alot of those boards do not like quads in that series, hehe. At 2.9, you were higher than I could get mine! I was stuck at 2.88 or it wouldnt post all the way up to a FSB of 1485, thats like 3.3 or some such.

Unfortunately there is no magic cure, you are gonna have to just play around with that board. Where did you wanna OC to? If you can at least post at 3.4, just disable all the processor options, disable all the spread spectrum junk, and set the ram in sync with your FSB until you get the processor stable.

If you get blue screens at moments where it starts to use the processors power, like when windows starts to load... you should try a little more VCore, but you'd have to run core temp and get the VID and revision/stepping of your processor. That always helps when guessing voltages.

So what errors you see so far?

--Lupi

_aurora_

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
It just says something about changes to hardware, dunno didn't really read it. I just selected "start windows normaly", but then it just repeats untill I lower it. So is it possible for me to get over 3.0ghz with a 680i? or am I wasting my time?

you said you WAS stuck at 2.88. What did you do?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I got a 780i! Hehe! You can always try the ol' standby. Set your VCore to 1.5000 in the Bios, up the FSB to 1600 and set the memory to run in sync at its default settings. Set the north bridge voltage to 1.4, CPU PLL as high as it goes.

Thats for 3.6, most g0 processors will easily boot and run at such a high voltage even at 3.6. If it works, which is all we wanna see, you can lower the voltages until it fails, then raise it by one and leave it there. Mine needed 1.40 in windows, and 1.372 or something under full load while at 3.6.

My b3 needed huge voltage to be stable at 3.6! So check core temp, or get it, version 0.96.1 and see what the VID is when you are at factory speed, and the processor revision.

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Yeah, but is it a blue screen? The windows recovery options just mean that windows failed to load. It just does the re start, or does it quickly blue screen then re start?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Sorry, those 680i boards dont like quads, as you can see. Okay, you get the recovery screen when it does re boot at normal speeds? Need to know if its a recovery screen from when you fail in windows originally. So load windows, then do shutdown. Then turn it back on again and apply your OC settings in question, and when it fails and re starts, if there is a recovery screen again, its at least TRYING to load windows, and not stopping at a bios detection or some other bios action pre windows boot.

That way we know it tries to load windows, and that its not just the board/bios stuff stopping it. Thats a good sign, BTW, on a 680i! That means it should work, barring whatever is stopping it. Mine simply failed to post, then recovered, or I had to re set it.

Mine didnt try and load windows while OC'd past 2.88 except at 1485 FSB speed, and that was still unstable, though I bet I could get it to work now, since I have been learning all the tricks!

--Lupi!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Oh, when next at stock speeds, run core temp v. 0.96.1 and tell me the revision and stepping of your processor, as well as the VID. That will help a lot.

For instance, my B3 stepping was fine up to 3.2, but from then on up it needs a huge amount of voltage to OC higher. It needs 1.40 to be stable at 3.2, but like 1.6 at 3.6, and that is not a good trade. It is very hot too. So if you have a B3, it will need even more voltage.

My g0 needs 1.40 for 3.6 ghz, but it needs 1.5 for 3.8. Thats a big leap in voltage for 200 Mhz. If it was hotter, it wouldnt be worth it, but I have a true, so lets see how it goes. It doesnt reach a single core over 55 for my normal max use, and thats basically an OC session of crysis in the dark on my 30 inch dell!

I personally dont think its to bad. But just the fact that I have it receiving 1.5 volts through it will shorten its life. Though its cold. Dont know how much shorter, so I guess I'll find out!

--Lupi!

_aurora_

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
"Okay, you get the recovery screen when it does re boot at normal speeds? Need to know if its a recovery screen from when you fail in windows originally. So load windows, then do shutdown. Then turn it back on again and apply your OC settings in question, and when it fails and re starts, if there is a recovery screen again, its at least TRYING to load windows, and not stopping at a bios detection or some other bios action pre windows boot. "

At stock - 2.9ghz, its fine (no recovery screen). 2.9ghz +, sometimes it posts but crashes on the bios splash screen. 3.4ghz - 3.5ghz, it post an starts to load windows.

I restarted from a stable clock speed and oc'ed to 3.5ghz and didn't get the error screen, just got stuck on the loading screen. Had to restart.

"Oh, when next at stock speeds, run core temp v. 0.96.1 and tell me the revision and stepping of your processor, as well as the VID. That will help a lot."

Its G0, B stepping. VID 1.2375v

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Thats a good VID, does it ever change that you've noticed? Some people say theirs changes depending on load, which is why ya gotta do it at factory settings, but with junk off that could lower the speed and such.

You're processor should do well at OCing, if you didnt have that board. I have a 1.2625 and all I need is 1.376 now at 3.6.

How is it going?

--Lupi

_aurora_

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I've changed it back to 2.9ghz and the VID is still the same. Haven seen it change either. I dont know what could be making it crash when loading windows, but I think I'll leave it @ 2.9ghz untill I get a new mobo and hope it works better.

Is this problem only on 680i? Which 780i did you get?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Yeah, its the 6xxi series, they dont like quads, and only like 15% of em reach a decent fsb that I have seen.

I got the XFX 780i and it was easier to OC, hits the normal 9 x 400 = 3.6 and even had 8 x 450 working, but it has a huge vdroop in windows. .06.

The difference between the two are the speeds which you can sync your ram to the FSB. 800 is normal. 400 fsb x double data rate = 800, so the 450 lets you pull 100 mhz faster.

Some people will say that the memory speeds doesnt matter as much, but I would hazard a guess that the higher your memory runs in sync, the better the performance. So ddr2 at 800 with a fsb to match means that you get a full data cycle at the same speed as the FSB. The bus that memory data passes through.

So that does make ya wonder. At a higher memory divider, you prolly would see a small gain, but not as much of a gain if you had the FSB up there matching it!

I would guess on a 780i with that VID you'd need 1.43 in windows so it can droop down to 1.37ish. I need 1.38, you will need less for 3.6.So thats like 1.47500 in the bios, hehe.

BUT... it should work! Depending on your memory, you can decide if the higher speed is better for you or not. So far I am stuck at 951 with my synced memory! 475 (1900!)

--Lupi

_aurora_

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
"I was stuck at 2.88 or it wouldnt post all the way up to a FSB of 1485, thats like 3.3"

Did it work at 3.3ghz and did you have a striker aswell?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
No, I had a p5n32e sli or whatever! 680i, and nope, I didnt get past it! Its a board limitation. Chipset, actually. They simply dont like q6x00 series.

Though I bet I could stabilize it at that speed now.

First thing, have everything but the fsb on factory. Ram on factory settings, disable everything you dont need. I keep my serial port, lans and such disabled for GP, then make the NB voltage 1.4 or higher, not much higher, up the cpu pll voltage to 1.6, VCore to 1.5250 FSB voltage to 1.6ish and then start at 400 with a times 9 multiplier. Thats 3.6.

The goal is to find a postable, and attempts to boot windows at a good FSB. If it doesnt post at all, make it 405 FSB, then 410.. then lower the multi to 8 and try a lil higher.

Once ya find one, that VCore should keep your processor happy all the way up to 3.8, depending on your droop. I use 1.50 in windows, 1.5250 bios to get 3.8, and your VID is like 64 or 5 better than mine! (lower.)

--Lupi