The secret to putting Crysis on very high at 30fps+. (Vista FAQ)

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Do you have Vista? Do you want to see Crysis in all its glory but it lags like hell when you try to put it on Very High settings? I have the answer to your question. Post-Processing, (some of you may already know this sorry, but to those who don't). I'm running a C2D E6750, 2gb of DDr2 ram and a 8800GT and crysis was running so slow it felt like having a 6800. Well by doing 3 things I can achieve maximum performance from crysis (this is with AA off). And im running it at 1600x1200 so this is actually pretty good. Put everything on Very high EXCEPT for Shadows put on high and PP on Low. (This may work with Shadows on Very high havnt tried it yet) And I do this at 1600x1200 and I get 28FPS+. All i notice PP does is the higher the setting the faster it laods Textures. Meaning if you load a game with it on Low for 2sec it looks like clay until the textures load. This DOES NOT affect the quality of the textuers! PP puts stress on the video card which causes a decrease in performance, why not put it on minimum to give u that boost and all your sacrificing is 2sec longer load?

The other 2 things which give u a lil FPS boost are in these directions (this is from the guide which you can go to by the link below)

1. Open the folder that holds you game application
2. Right click and go to properties on the game .exe (i.e crysis.exe)
3. go to compatibility mode
4. Check off "Disable visual themes" and Disable Desktop Composition"

Doing this does not affect the look of the game, but when you turn any game on it makes Vista's desktop like Aero and things liek the theme go to a lower state of memory consumption. Giving your CPU more space for the game you want.

I hope this helps all of you and I appreciate feedback, thanks.

EDIT: Pardon my spelling, typing fast.

EDIT2: Also for more tweaking go to http://redchaos.wordpress.com/2007/03/06/tweak-vista-for-gaming/ This is a good guide for squeezin out soem of the juice in Vista.

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
ok well the FPS varies. If in a dense jungle/frozen part it will drop suddenly to like 15-20fps. but when in combat on beeches or in light jungle u get 25+.
Possibly lowering Vol lights or object deatil to high or something of that sort will help i ndense jungles

randomizer

Champion
Um, look at the nuke when you have post-processing on low. Then look at it on high/very high. There is alot more than just texture loading times. All extra effects, like motion blur, blurring when you wake up after being knocked out, fancy effects after explosions, glow from nukes, HDR and everything of this kind is PP (along with shaders, on low shaders, PP does basically nothing)

And if you're turning down post processing to low anyways, what DX10 effects are really left after that?

The best settings I've seen is keep PP at least at medium, it gives you a performance boost without losing everything, just a bit.

randomizer

Champion
I played it on vista x64. Textures hacked to very high, physics high, sound high, everything else low at 1680x1050 and no AA. I got an average framerate of about 35fps and except in a few places with lots of objects, it was very playable and alot of fun. I only looked at the graphics during cutscenes, so stop worrying about "playing the game the way it's meant to be played" and just play the game.

mosdapwn

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
You can't cancel PP that wouldn't be so nice .
and No AA is a nightmare
but I'm guessing that game on very high wouldn't let you use AA on any card on this planet
Crytek needs improved rendering , I've seen the game and seen how amazing it looks , but still i think it could make better use of processors , specially quadcores and and can get a little more out of the vga if they really want to search for alternate methods to improve performance.
given the fact that an 8800 gtx sli cannot run the game at very high with 4xAA in 1920x1280 (it will not average at satisfyingly playable frames : 22+ ) and of course the nightmare of 2550x1600 , that means that the game is not renderable at it's maximum settings but any video card in the world.
If part of the game was not to promote some upcoming card that's gonna solve all the problems, it should be patched pretty soon for serious performance enhancement, yet it requires time and money. Maybe it's harder than i can comprehend but i still think that the current hardware is capable of better utlilization.

<World in Conflict's Patch 1.001 had a 15% dx10 frame increase> <Ran benchmark at all maxed out, 16xAA and 16xAF with 35FPS Avg, not only that but lower frames , in nukes and explosions were raised by almost 7-8 frames while the water quality improved so frames decreased from 62 to 58 at water level so bringing down the average without any real performance difference>

And more decent games should give more effort into doing that.

mosdapwn

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
you're right , i went a little low on that 22 to show how the game is screwin all the cards , and dude .. 28+, cool standards .. you're gonna get cranky a **** load of alot ..

chum_alex

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
Hello
What did you mean by this

Did you mean that AA on or off doesn't metter for crt's?
or something else?

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
aa for CRT's isn't worth the performance penalty, and AA isn't very neccesary if you run at full res like randomizer said. Mosdapwn, You're probably just mad becaue you can't run the game. The difference between very high and high isn't that bad, and the same goes with medium.