Is there something strange about XP here? For some complicated reasons Can
anybody explain this? I want to search a Win98SE CD for certain file we
need on an older computer. Using Win Explorer I insert the CD in my XP
machine and search in the CD (E) drive for one of the files (using *.dll) on
the CD. 249 such files are found but all are in a folder in the c:\ drive
(c:\documents and settings . . .)! I did the same search in My Documents
and this time none were found. Repeated the search in e:\ and there they
are, all 249 of them--but naturally in that folder in the c:\ drive! Of
course WinEx was set to see hidden and system files, etc. I removed the CD
and repeated the search on the empty CD drive: this time none were found!
ON the other hand when I tried the same search on the old Win98 machine, no
problem--all the files I searched for on the Win98SE cd were there--in the
cd drive. What gives?

If you are wanting to repair missing files in Win98 without loosing any
data, follow this method.

First disconnect any external Device from the computer. Only your Monitor,
Keyboard and Mouse should be connected. Run Regedit. Browse to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Highlight CurrentVersion and look at the right pane for the entry
ProductKey. Double click on it. The value is your Certificate of
Authenticity (ProductKey). Write this number down, as you will need it
during installation.

Shutdown the computer.

Running the Setup Utility:

From a powered Off state, turn On your computer and hold down the Ctrl key
until you get to the Windows Setup Menu (you can also press F8 just before
the BIOS logo disappears at startup). At the menu, select Safe Mode Command
Prompt. At the prompt type the following:

CD\WINDOWS\Options\CABS

Press Enter. The C:\Windows\Options\Cabs prompt will appear. Type the
following:

SETUP

Press Enter. Follow the instructions and prompts displayed for installation.
This will restore the operating system without erasing any existing data.

--
Good Day
River Rat

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:54:05 -0400, Joe McGuire wrote:

> Is there something strange about XP here? For some complicated reasons Can
> anybody explain this? I want to search a Win98SE CD for certain file we
> need on an older computer. Using Win Explorer I insert the CD in my XP
> machine and search in the CD (E) drive for one of the files (using *.dll) on
> the CD. 249 such files are found but all are in a folder in the c:\ drive
> (c:\documents and settings . . .)! I did the same search in My Documents
> and this time none were found. Repeated the search in e:\ and there they
> are, all 249 of them--but naturally in that folder in the c:\ drive! Of
> course WinEx was set to see hidden and system files, etc. I removed the CD
> and repeated the search on the empty CD drive: this time none were found!
> ON the other hand when I tried the same search on the old Win98 machine, no
> problem--all the files I searched for on the Win98SE cd were there--in the
> cd drive. What gives?

In my opinion, XP search is not very good. I use it for quick searches if I
know the file name. Otherwise, I use alternative find tools. My favorite is
Filelocator Pro from www.mythicsoft.com

Your XPsearch seems to be a little broken though. The mistake of the paths
is one oddity I haven't run across. You might try reinstalling search:
Right clicking the srchasst.inf file in your Windows\Inf folder will start
the reinstall of the component. You will be prompted for the XP CD so have
it on hand. You may be asked for the location of SP2 files as well (direct
the install to the \Windows\ServicePackFiles\ folder). NOTE: This method
does not work with some of the OEM provided recovery/restore disks!

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:21:43 -0500, River_Rat wrote:

> Highlight CurrentVersion and look at the right pane for the entry
> ProductKey. Double click on it. The value is your Certificate of
> Authenticity (ProductKey). Write this number down, as you will need it
> during installation.

This registry key does not exist in XP. While the key needed for installing
can be extracted from the registry with tools such a Magic Jelly Bean, it
is not in plain view.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Don't search from CD. Copy whatever folders you need (probably I386 if you
don't know the cab) somewhere on your drive and take it from there.
Michael