I have a pentium 4 3.2
with a PCIexpress slot
its a Dell purchased in 2004

looking to play RTS type of games

Thanks.
15 answers Last reply
More about video card recommendation
  1. How much do you have to spend?

If you have about $100 I'd go for a radeon 2600 XT. If you have a few bucks more, an X1950 PRO can be had in the $130 range, and it's alot better.

I wouldn't spend more than that on your platform, your CPU will limit you a bit. Indeed, if you want to play an RTS like Supreme Commander, you're really going to want a dual-core processor...
  2. Thanks for the information, 150.00 or less I would be willing to spend.. Yeah I know Supreme Commander is out of the question...
  3. X1950 would be the best for your cash, however your Dell PSU might have a bit of trouble pushing something with that much draw.

The 2600 XT would be a safe bet as far as power goes.
  4. itotallybelieveyou said:

I'd probably spend the extra $7 for the higher clockspeeds of the PRO instead of the GT:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102061
  5. Thanks I think I will go with the 1950pro....
  6. Are you sure your power supply will handle it? I'm guessing you're not sure...
  7. If Power Supply is an issue, spend a few more bucks on a 3850, it hardly sucks any juice at all, and performs mightily.
  8. I don't know if I'd bother pairing up a 3850 with a Pentium 4 3.2.
    Then again, a 3850 would be a better card if he upgrades his platform...
  9. I read on another forum someone with a similar dell and it ran fine... Right now I do not intend on upgrading, my only other question I have is, is it worth it to get the 512mb version?
  10. The 512MB version will let you use higher-detailed texture settings in games that support it, but it won't give you higher framerates in general.

If that's worth it, it's up to you.
  11. I think 512MB would only make a noticeable difference if you played at resolutions greater than 1600 x 1200.
  12. nurn said:
    I think 512MB would only make a noticeable difference if you played at resolutions greater than 1600 x 1200.

True, but when games like stalker and COD4 requires a ton of memory, even at low res. A 8800GTS 320mb loses to the 640mb at 1280x1024 because of it's halved memory.
  13. The main thing is the things that benefit more memory (hgiher resolutions, larger textures) don't really play well to this level of card. If it's no cost as in price or memory speed, then hey bigger will help a tiny bit. However I'd rather have faster 256MB memory at this level of card than slower 512MB.
  14. Thanks for the great info 256mb it is then and it will save me some money too
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Pentium Dell Graphics Product