Very near future super gamer pc ( with ?s )

LyonheartAz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I am wanting to get a new gaming PC in the next month or so. I am waiting to see if some rumored/expected new hardware comes out before i put together my final build. I can give an idea of what i want now ( based on the hope that these new things come out ) My goal is a high end gaming PC that will run Crysis ( and some future games ) on very high at good frame rates. So I have a few questions all based on wanting to get this done for a budget of 2500-3000$

my build is going to be multi GPU ..depending on how the upcoming ATI cards compare to the new 8800GT and any Nvid upgrade to GTS or GTX cards.

So the build would be something like:
CPU> AMDs Phenom ( there best one that comes out ) or the new Intel Penryn.

MB would be Asus or MSI crossfire or sli, best performance version ( will need help choosing that )

GPU will be 2x 8800GT or 2xATIs new card ( which ever one is clearly better. if its close ill stick with SLI )

PSU I'm not sure how much is overkill but was thinking of a coolmaster 800+
4gigs of ram ( depending on answers to questions here )

I was thinking of 10k rpm HD

I want the best cooling available( within reason) for the CPU and might get a complete water cooling for GPUs and CPU ( if its doable in my price range )

I have read about many Cases.. and not sure which one to get. it will be BIG i know..for enough room to fit all this stuff 8P ( and have great airflow )

OS will be Vista 64 bit

As you can see i am wanting to have a PC that is as close as you can get to the best without going over $3000.00

Questions, keeping in mind i want to play Crysis in all its glory, and next years games( whatever they might be hehe):

1.Is this a realistic hope for the price? Its hard to tell for sure based on some hardware not even being out yet.

2.Will OCing the new penryn be overkill ? Or will one of the existing lower clock speeds be more than enough like the 6600+?

3.Will Vista 64 bit and 4g of ram really help run games like Crysis better.. or is that overkill? I know it takes 64 bit to take full advantage of 4g+ ram right ?

4.I only have seen crossfire MBs with the new penryn. is there going to be SLI versions soon?

I think thats all the questions. I did not list any part numbers on some stuff becasue Im not sure what to pair up with the stuff that is not out yet. Also if things like AMDs new CPUs and its new chipset and GPUs for ATI, or Nvidias GTS/GTXs upgrades are not out by the end of Nov. I will go with SLI and 2x 8800GTs
Any comments or advice will help. Just becasue im willing to spend 2500-3000 doesnt mean that i wont consider cheaper options if they achieve the same goal. Or even spend a few hundred more if needed. But that is my goal price. Thank You in advance!

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
Get Asus Formula. Get the 4GB for vista 64 bit. Alot of money... Get 2 150GB and raid 0 the 10k HDs?
1. yes, probably.
2. No such thing as overkill only overbudget.
3. nope vista will kill crysis
4. Yes obviously...

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Little busy right now, but I'll just say a few things.

-Judging by the first three, probably real, reviews(check them in the graphics forum), it looks like the 8800GTs will but a serious beat-down on the new ATIs. Only need to wait for 8800GTS 640MB G92 now.
-Antec 900. Huge. Great Airflow.
-Contrasting what ^^^ said, I believe I have heard that crysis will preform better on the 64Bit and the difference between xp and vista is lessening quite a bit. SP1 comes with the DX10.1 update.
-Check out the Tiered PSU list(can't post it myself right now) and try to pick from tier 2 or 1. I just don't think coolermaster PSUs are all that good.

-Adam

neoxblu1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
You can me are in the same situations, I am also building a new pc just for Gaming. Except my price range is $3500-$4000. I also have many questions because this is my build and I only want best of the best, and I want my system to stay nice as cool (of course liquid cooling).

I am currently interested in buying this case with a built in liquid cooling system.

You can choose from Silver or Black.

Black Thermaltake Armor LCS Super Tower Computer Case
price range from $200-$250

Its nice and roomy for what/ever you would like to put it in.

Also 8800GT are a good card for the buck, but i would go with dual 8800GTS because they will performe better for what the future holds for us.

LyonheartAz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I cant wait for reviews of tri sli and crosfireX .. also the rumors of the GF 9800 cards coming in Nov were not true?.. they were mistaken for the G92 ? Anyways. I am hoping 8000GTS/Xs will have the new G92s soon.