Sign in with
Your question

Trouble with using "Repair" installation

Last response: in Windows XP
April 14, 2010 7:39:26 AM

Hey all, I'm having a problem fixing a laptop for a customer. One of my colleagues was doing a Repair of the Windows XP installation, which would have solved the initial problem (he'd installed some dodgy language packs or something). However, during the installation the laptop battery died (not good practice to recover a laptop without mains power, I know), and now despite running Repair again, the laptop will only ever boot into the GUI phase of the repair, and asks for you to insert the Windows XP Professional SP2 CD. We've done this but it still boots the same every time.

Is there anyway to fix this? Is it possible to browse the files using a Live CD (BartPE or Linux) and delete the setup files copied from the XP disk?

Thanks in advance.

More about : trouble repair installation

April 15, 2010 5:33:58 AM

I vote for digitalprospector's solution. A format is not necessary.
Related resources
April 15, 2010 3:11:16 PM

Shining_Lizard said:
Hey all, I'm having a problem fixing a laptop for a customer. One of my colleagues was doing a Repair of the Windows XP installation, which would have solved the initial problem (he'd installed some dodgy language packs or something). However, during the installation the laptop battery died (not good practice to recover a laptop without mains power, I know), and now despite running Repair again, the laptop will only ever boot into the GUI phase of the repair, and asks for you to insert the Windows XP Professional SP2 CD. We've done this but it still boots the same every time.

Is there anyway to fix this? Is it possible to browse the files using a Live CD (BartPE or Linux) and delete the setup files copied from the XP disk?

Thanks in advance.

Man what a time for a battery to crap out, its going to be dependent on what point the repair re-installation was at when the battery died, you may be facing a scratch install to recover from this one.

If the failure occurred immediately after the WinXP System files were deleted, then re-running the repair is probably not finding an intact WinXP to repair.

This probably isn't helping you any at all, but this is definitely not an average situation that you're into here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244555-45-winxp

I don't think BartPE is going to help you here, but I would love to be wrong on that for you.
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2010 4:45:48 PM

You can try to rebuild the boot files manually. If you use the R option to get into the repair console, at the C:\ prompt, type the following commands one at a time:
fixboot
fixmbr
bootcfg /rebuild

Hopefully that's the only problem.
!