New system, Win XP install, SATA HDD

splendorlex

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I got my parts today and put the system together. I put in both my newer SATA HDD and my older IDE drive, but only hooked up the SATA drive with the SATA cables. When I booted it up with the Windows CD, it recognized the HDD and is now installing. I thought I was going to have to install SATA drivers from a floppy, but it never asked for them. Is this going to work out ok? If it's installing Windows on the drive, I assume that means it's working properly. Did I mess up, or am I going to be ok? This is my first crack at a SATA drive as the primary. Thanks!

atreyu

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2005
Dont worry. You do not need to specifically put any SATA drivers for installing windows. Windows has the required SATA drivers.. you are going fine.

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

Actually, I think the new boards have inbuilt drivers for SATA. Cause XP on my really old computer would not recognize any SATA driver w/o the proper drivers. My new board it install just fine.

BrutalDawg1

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
actually the first two posters are wrong, Windows XP SP2 still do not have built in SATA drivers. You can run your SATA HD under IDE emulation which is shown in your BIOS. If you would like the whole NCQ from the AHCI mode (+3%~ increase in performance) you must either slipstream the SATA drivers on to your XP SP2 CD or do the F6 Floppy Drive installation.