How to Convert a disk from Dynamic to Basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

f117b2

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Help please.

I have a 640 GB WD SATA HD. I tried to convert the HD from dynamic to basic by following the article (KB309044) from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309044

I have no problems till the step 9. It said "After you have deleted all the volumes on the dynamic disk, right-click the dynamic disk that you want to change to a basic disk, and then click Convert to Basic Disk." When I did right mouse click, there is no such thng "Convert to Basic Disk". Only 3 choices, "New Volumn", "Properties" and "help". If I choose the "New Volumn", it will create the dynamic disk again.

Can anyone please help me????

Appreciated for any helps!!!!!

LoneStar64

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
I had the same problem then discovered this:

NOTE:You must right-click the gray area that contains the disk title on the left side of the Details pane. For example, right-click Disk 1.

You will get the option to convert back to simple. Hope it helps.

Seth John

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Once you changed the basic disk to dynamic disk, it cannot be changed back to basic disk without deleting the partitions and rebuilding the disk.

In this way, all the data on the dynamic disk will lost. There isn't any way to convert dynamic disk directly to the basic without data loss. The most safe way should be backup or clone the dynamic disk firstly and then do a dynamic disk conversion in the Disk Management tool. How to clone or backup dynamic disk?

After you have backed up all the important data on the dynamic disk, you can convert the dynamic disk freely. How to convert dynamic disk to basic without data loss?

tajammul128

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I want to convert dynamic disk back to basic disk. in order to do so i have to delete the partitions. but the problem is that my D drive is dedicated for recovery by hp. deleting this drive i will not be able to recover my windows??? i have hp laptop dv6 with windows 7.. plz help

hamed abbasian from iran

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Using DiskPart.exe in command line

Open Command Prompt as Administrator Privileges.

Type the command:
DiskPart.exe

At the DISKPART prompt, type:
select diskN
to select the dynamic disk that you want to convert.

At the DISKPART prompt, type:
clean
to delete all volumes on the disk.

Then, at the DISKPART prompt, type:
convert basic
to begin revert the disk to basic drive.

LOHIT

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
HEY PLEASE ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO I CONVERT MY DELL LAPTOP INSPIRON N5010 HARD DISK TYPE DYNAMIC TO PRIMARY PARTITION PLEASE I HAVE VERY MUCH PROBLEM WITH DYNAMIC HARD DISC PLEASE ANYONE TELL ME

Status
Not open for further replies.