Building new system - Advice needed

white comet

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
:hello: Hello everyone, First post here^^. I've been reading many of the product reviews here before finally deciding to build a new system and join this forum :D

A bit of history: my last built PC was sold around 2 years ago, so it would be at least 3 years+ since I last built a computer. I've been using my Asus G1 for the last 2 years and I'm starting to think that my laptop can't catch up with the latest games. Like Crysis as an example, though I never tried playing it on my laptop...will try soon.

First off, I bought a system on an online forum for almost 700 CDN including shipping. Here's the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz CPU
ASUS P5K Motherboard
Kingstan 2x1GB Dual-Channel 667MHz DDR2 RAM
Western Digital 320GB SATA 7200RPM HDD
Card Reader
LG 20x Dual-layer SATA DVD+/-RW
ASUS EN8600GT w/ HDMI support
CoolerMaster 550W Power Supply
Logitech EX110 keyboard+mouse
Logitech X-240 speakers
Case: 666 CSA/BK
Vista Home Premium DVD

This system was originally purchase for a family member, but I just realized that their computer actually is not bad. So, I am deciding to take out some stuff and transfer it to my family member's computer, which is:

1. The Kingston ram
2. WD Harddrive (Maybe)
3. DVD Writer
4. Card Reader
5. Video Card
6. Speakers

Everything else, I would be keeping and I would get some money back too^^

Now, this is what remains:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz CPU
Motherboard: ASUS P5K
Power Supply: CoolerMaster 550W Power Supply
Western Digital 320GB SATA 7200RPM HDD (Maybe)
Peripherals: Logitech EX110 keyboard+mouse
Case: 666 CSA/BK
Software: Vista Home Premium DVD

Case wise, I have no idea what it is. This machine would be used mainly for gaming (Crysis) and watching videos and maybe some Photoshop. How does the rest of the parts in the above look?

In order to complete the system, I would be needing to add the missing parts of course and this is where I need some advice because I don't know if it is a good choice.

Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor X SATA (WD1500AHFD) 150GB $219.99

For the HD situation, I might be keeping the 320GB as I can give my old 1st gen 74GB Raptor to my family member. In that case, I will use the Raptor X as a primary and the 320 as secondary. I also don't know how Raid works...heard of it but don't know if it'll fit in my situation :??: Now I'm thinking...do I need to spend 200+ on a HD??

Video Card: Awaiting for the 8800GT 512MB version which should be coming out soon. $???.??

There are many variants and I don't know which one to get...like XFX, Asus, BFG, etc. Just something around $200 is good.

Memory: Considering Mushkin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 2x1024MB Extreme Performance Series 2x 1GB 4-4-3-10. $157.99 after $25.00 MIR

I'm really considering getting 4GB if I decide to run 64bit Vista but would keep it as 2GB is running on XP. Ram seems expensive and I don't know if I'm making a good choice here.

DVD Writer: Plextor PX-810SA $83.99

Guess this ain't bad and heard that Plextor's a pretty reliable too. Had bad experiences with LG and LiteOn as well T_T

Prices mentioned are in CDN dollars. After looking through the add-on parts, the system might be a bit too costly...so any opinions here would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the long post

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)

VGA:
8800GT 512 will be in stocks soon i hope and its a solid performer

RAM:
Thats a very nice RAM with very good timings

DVD WRITER:
Its fine

PSU:
If u can , change it to Corsair 520 or 550 or OCZ STELTHXSTREAM 600W

I was going to be lazy and just abbreviate your username. Then I realized that would be Brit-speak for ... well, never mind. Anyway, welcome. Oh, you really do not need to build something to join.

I agree with Maziar. (What's that definition of wisdom? "You can tell how wise a man is by how much he agrees with you.")

OK. Seriously ...

THG has a wiki article ranking PSU brands and models:

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings

CoolerMaster is ranked in the 4th tier. Concensus in the forums is to go no lower than third tier.

Just coincidently, the topic of this particular PSU came up in another post less than 30 minutes ago. Here is what I told him:

"I looked at the newegg reviews: 48% 5 star rating and a lot of failures pointing to quality control problems. One of the reviewers said the 12 volt output is inadequate for a gaming machine with upper end video card requiring lots of power."
And that was in only the first 20 reviews out of 187. I had no reason to look farther.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well I have to say that the 8800GT is a great choice for a video card.Your memory will work just fine.In fact better then fine.The PSU will work for now.Maybe upgrade it a little down the road when the budget allows for a good performing PSU,one that'll last for a few years.Have fun.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2 500/1200
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK 05 13,685

white comet

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Thanks for the replys guys.

Anyways, did some more research and dug up the following:

Powersupply: OCZ (OCZ600GXSSLI) GameXStream 600 Watt $99.99 + $10 MIR

Price ain't bad for a decent PS.

Memory: OCZ (OCZ2RPR800C32GK) Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-6400 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL3-4-4-15-2T Dual Channel EPP Memory Kit $99.99

Anyone know how does this OCZ compares to the Mushkin mentioned in my first post? Cuz its almost a $60 difference and that's quite a lot.

I just found a cheaper memory, the 2x 1GB Crucial ballistic on Newegg with 4-4-4-12 timings...$49.99 USD after $40 MIR but it doesn't ship to Canada??? omgwtfbbq?!?!?!?!?

As for the Cooler Master PS, would it be feasible to switch that onto a average user PC? Like not gaming intense, just regular surfing on the net, listening to music and occasionaly Photoshop. I think the old one is like a 200w or something

I also may be looking for a new case. Any suggestions?