aerelis

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
HITACHI Deskstar 7K160 HDS721616PLA380 (0A32728) 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail
eVGA 8800GT 512MB SC

ive cleared cmos (5 seconds like it states in the manual)
ive tried RAM in diff slots
tried the PCI card in dif slot
everything is connected as it should be

everything starts up, i get no post, and no video
all fans spin
hard drives on
mb is fine, or seems to be
PSU kicks

spent numerous hours on this, and i can not figure it out

new build, just received all the parts

Doublecheck the power cabling to the motherboard - main 24 PSU connector and the 4 or 8 pin aux power connector for the CPU.

When you say "no POST", do you mean:
1. No POST - no beeps at all.
2. Unsuccessful POST - any beeps other than a single short beep.

Your system specs did not list PSU. Usually a new build failure is caused by something stupid* or a bad or inadequate PSU.

Try the following link. It's long and it will be quite a bit of work because I recommend complete disassembly, then reassembly part by part outside the case.

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Troubleshooting+a+New+Build

* Anyone can do something stupid. I fried a 2GB thumb drive once after I had plugged the 9 pin case USB header into the motherboard's 9 pin serial connector. (USB interfaces do not like plus and minus 12 volts.) And that was after I rtfm'ed.

aerelis

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
i get no beeps at all, if i unplug the video card i get a continuous long beep. my psu is extreme power 500w (rp-500-pcar)

I was composing when you posted your second query. Considering the time differences between us, you are burning the midnight oil. Unless you have some sort of weird work or school schedule, it might be better to get some sleep and start fresh later. I know that may be difficult because the unresolved problem will probably be like a mouse knawing on the edges of your consciousness.

I'm that way. Unresolved problems, especially technical problems, especially especially personal technical problems ("Why doesn't this freakin' thing work?") bother me.

Do you mean unplug the 6 pin 12 volt PSU connector from the video card or remove the video card from the motherboard?

Is that continous beep coming from the motherboard, or the video card? If it's coming from the video card with the 6 pin connector plugged in, you probably have a PSU problem. That loud continous beep is normally eVGA's way of telling you, "Hey dummy. You forgot to plug in the aux video power!!"

I did that once when I tore down Box #1 to upgrade the HSF to the ThermalRight. Startling, but not too bad. After all, that time, I knew I was starting with a working system.

I took a few minutes to do some research on your PSU. I looked at the newegg reviews: 48% 5 star rating and a lot of failures pointing to quality control problems. One of the reviewers said the 12 volt output is inadequate for a gaming machine with upper end video card requiring lots of power.

There's a wiki article that ranks PSU brands and models:

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings

CoolerMaster is ranked in the 4th tier. Concensus in the forums is to go no lower than third tier.

aerelis

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
awsome thank you for y our hard work, the fan on the video card starts up, do you still think it could be a psu problem? and it powers everything else. otherwise looks like i am springing for another psu:)

Yes. In addition to all the power outputs, a PSU also generates a control signal called something like "PSGood" or "PWROK". This should go to a logic HIGH (typically around 3.5 to 5 volts) within a half second of power up.

You can find it on pin 8 (I think it is the grey wire) of the main power supply connector. If you are careful you should be able to get a multimeter probe onto the molex pin to measure it.

Without this signal, the CPU stays reset. The easiest thing to do is to borrow a known good PSU for testing.

aerelis

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
when i have just the hsf, cpu, and psu hooked up, its boots i get a long continuous beep, than it shuts down? ideas? thinking its not the vid card now, and its a new psu, i have 3 now lol

aerelis

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
it shouldnt be this hard:( why cant it all just work when i plug it in:/ im following the wiki guide, and have just those 3 hooked up. and i get the continuous beep, and then shut down. and its not the psu because i have 3 of them now