Can you make two routers connect to eachother?

AndyE1983

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hello, I just had my wireless USB card go out on my computer and do not have the money to buy a new one. Soooooo crazy idea - I have a 802.11g router sitting around + I have my quest 2wire wireless router + modem that receives the internet and directs it to the wireless connections.

So my question which you have already guessed is - Can I make my quest modem/wireless router combo pickup the internet if I plugged in the Myessentials router to that other computer. I do not know allot about networking and hopefully I explained myself correctly. I looked around the internet but got a little confused on the situation.

riser

Illustrious
Connect the two together with a standard patch cable. Routers use DHCP, so on your wireless you'll want to disable the DHCP option in it. Configure the wireless and you'll be fine.

Don't use the WAN port on the wireless router though - Use 1-4 or whatever is built in - not the WAN. If its an access point, it will have only one port on the back which should be used to connect to the switch portion on your other router.