Temperature readings

Toppe

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Hello!
I'm sure these questions get asked a lot, but I could really use some help understanding my temperature readings.

I recently overclocked my C2D E6750 to 3.2Ghz (my mobo is MSI P35 Platinum) and everything seems to be running smoothly, but I want to make sure I don't fry the whole thing. I have read the very extensive guide to C2D temperatures by CompuTronix, and from what I understood of it the cores are supposed to be ~5C warmer than the CPU case. However, these are the values SpeedFan 4.33 give me while writing this:
Temp1: 45C
Core 0 / Core 1: 30C / 31C

I also have a Temp2 at 35C, but it seems Temp1 is the processor since that is the one speeding away when running Prime95. But as you can see, this would mean that the cores are not 5C warmer than the case, but ~15C colder. The guide mentioned having PECI disabled could invert the case and core values, but I could not find any such setting in my BIOS.

When I fire up Prime95 (small FFTs) and let it run for about 2 minutes Temp1 goes up to ~70C and the cores goes up to ~57C. These values seems kind of too hot for my liking, but I'm not sure I can trust them either. I also used Core Temp 0.97.1, which says my cores are about the same temperature as SpeedFan's Temp1 at normal load, and about 1-3C higher than Temp1 while running Prime95.

If those would be the correct temperatures, doesn't that seem very hot? Before I overclocked I had an older version of SpeedFan which didn't show the cores temperatures, only Temp1. If I recall correctly Temp1 didn't actually change very much (hardly noticeably) before / after my overclocking, and I've heard of people using the standard fan to overclock the E6750 to 3.6Ghz without trouble.

I hope this babbling atleast made some sense to someone, and I would love some light to be shed over this.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Toppe, from the Temp Guide:

Section 8: Tools

■ SpeedFan Beta 4.34 displays Tcase and Tjunction: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Note 2: SpeedFan - Very flexible and configurable, SpeedFan is the preferred temperature monitoring utility, however, do not expect SpeedFan to be accurate until Calibrations have been completed.

Please follow through the Guide and complete the Calibrations as shown.

Comp :sol: